Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 8, '08, 12:02 pm

Religion: catholic
Exclamation Half to charity half to me - wrong?

I recently joined ebay, and missionfish.org
Some people have said that its wrong to sell stuff if only part of the profit goes to charity. The same people said they would not donate items to me if that was the case. Am I wrong. Are they being mean...?
Please respond
Old May 8, '08, 12:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Half to charity half to me - wrong?

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving half to charity. The fact that you're giving *any* to charity is a vituous act, at least from my point of view. The only way I could see it being wrong is if you were to tell people that all the money went to charity and then only gave half, but that doesn't sound like what you're doing.

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old May 8, '08, 12:25 pm

Question Re: Half to charity half to me - wrong?

My point exactly,
which makes me feel sad for my family. it appears they are happy not to help charity, just to not help me. It not like I am asking for money. I just wanted extra unneeded items..
sad really
Old May 8, '08, 1:07 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traillius View Post
My point exactly,
which makes me feel sad for my family. it appears they are happy not to help charity, just to not help me. It not like I am asking for money. I just wanted extra unneeded items..
sad really
Let's say you donated to a charity to feed kids. The people running the charity told you that 50% will go to the kids and the other 50% will go to administration fees. Would you donate to that charity?

What I'm getting at, it is ok to be paid for your work. But lets say, someone donated a $2000 car for you to sell on ebay. Is your time selling that car worth the $1,000?
Old May 10, '08, 2:34 pm

Religion: CHRISTIAN

We can't judge their motives. Some may need a share of the money. As Christians, some tithe -- that's giving 10%. Not all do it, I can't judge why in that case either.

God sees the motive and knows their hearts.
Old May 12, '08, 4:53 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

AS I UNDERSTAND IT...

You set up a business, and were generous enough to donate half of your net proceeds to missionfish.org?

That's wonderful! Can you live on that?
Old May 13, '08, 6:55 am

Well,
I am only in the beginning stages of this venture. Ands it might not ever be my primary income. Oh and missionfish.org is just the staging organization, my 50% goes to actual charities.
Old May 15, '08, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Some people have said that its wrong to sell stuff if only part of the profit goes to charity. The same people said they would not donate items to me if that was the case. Am I wrong. Are they being mean...?
Please respond
Are they thinking it's wrong, or do they just want a bigger chunk to write off their taxes?
Old May 19, '08, 12:38 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Please respond
I think it depends on what the donors' understanding was when they donated their goods to you. Were they told ahead of time that only half the value of their goods would actually be donated, and that you would keep the other half? Or were they under the impression that they would be donating the entire value of their goods to charity?

I see no problem with you, as the go-between, keeping some of the proceeds from the sale of the donated items. I would just suggest that when you solicit items to be donated that you be up front about how much you will actually be donating.

"To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as being right in doing it." -- G.K. Chesterton

"Doing the right thing starts at the beginning of the day, not after you've been caught." John Crichton, Farscape.
Old May 19, '08, 3:51 pm
Banned

[
NO,never give to a charity that rips off the giver and the taker...its all a con job..better to check out a poor family in town and drop them some food stuffs or cash whatever...that way 100% goes to them..manys a time a person I know is down and out and I am behind him or her..I drop a bill down on the floor..pick it up..say "hey buck..be careful fella...' and squeeze into his hand the money and take off before he can object..that is giving and no nonsense at all is wasted...there are many rackets out there...so called do gooders who ripp; off the public and the poor...side swipe em..do it your self...shhhh.and no one has to know...
Old May 20, '08, 8:20 am

Are you suggesting that I am a scammer. ?
Well, I will just have to trust God that I am not led into sin on account of this plan. And anyone who chooses to judge me, I will leave into the hands of God.
Old May 22, '08, 10:54 am

Don't sweat it, as long as you mention in the ad and to donators that only 1/2 goes to charity, you are in the clear. Too often I've dealt with charities and non profit companies who's agenda on the surface is one thing, only to find they are using it as a front to support their extravegant lifestyles, ie. new cars, new houses, upgrades with their toys, etc. those are the ones that are wrong in my book.
Old May 24, '08, 11:11 am

I think it's fine to give half to charity, but it's a little wierd to expect people to donate items for you to sell when you are going to keep half.

Now if you wanted to sell items for others on consignment, where they got 30%, you got 30% and the charity got 40%, maybe they'd be more willing. I have friends who have mini businesses selling stuff for other people on eBay and though they usually only take a 30-40% cut of the proceeds after fees, I would be willing to work with someone who took more but donated it to charity.

That said, I'd never donate to a charity that gave only 50% to the organization and kept half for its own operations. So I'm not surprised that your family isn't thrilled to give you their stuff to sell for free.

Not judging - but you asked our opinion!
Old May 27, '08, 11:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom27 View Post
I think it's fine to give half to charity, but it's a little wierd to expect people to donate items for you to sell when you are going to keep half.

Now if you wanted to sell items for others on consignment, where they got 30%, you got 30% and the charity got 40%, maybe they'd be more willing. I have friends who have mini businesses selling stuff for other people on eBay and though they usually only take a 30-40% cut of the proceeds after fees, I would be willing to work with someone who took more but donated it to charity.

That said, I'd never donate to a charity that gave only 50% to the organization and kept half for its own operations. So I'm not surprised that your family isn't thrilled to give you their stuff to sell for free.

Not judging - but you asked our opinion!
Couldn't agree more!

If you are taking your own items and selling them and giving half of the proceeds to charity...awesome!

If you are expecting donations or purchases from your relatives because half of the proceeds go to charity, then I think you need to leave it up to them. They may prefer to give their stuff and money to a 100% nonprofit organization. It's not bad that you want to do this, but the 50% you're getting pure profit for yourself and the 50% charity part is not an excuse to expect support from your family.
Old Jun 10, '08, 4:52 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Wow. It sounds to me like these people are simply being jerks. It's virtuous that you would consider giving even half of what you're making from the sell to charity. You shouldn't have to give all of the money to charity. I say just ignore the jerks and tell them they can always find a different seller.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014