Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 15, '08, 6:35 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury
Default Catholic Evidence Guild

I've been looking for a web site for the Catholic Evidence Guild. There was an old thread from about 4 years ago on CAF that linked to the CEG, but the link no longer works.

I know they are active in New York. Anybody have contact info?
Old May 15, '08, 6:44 am
Banned

Religion: n/a
Default Re: Catholic Evidence Guild

What is their objective? What kind of evidences? Evidences for what? Why build a guild, doesnt the vatican already try to tackle these things?
Old May 15, '08, 6:51 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnosTheist View Post
What is their objective? What kind of evidences? Evidences for what? Why build a guild, doesnt the vatican already try to tackle these things?
This is a lay organization for street evangelization founded by Frank Sheed and his wife, Mazie Ward, that achieved prominence in the 1930s. They produced a strong program for formation of evangelists/apologists, who witnessed in places like London's Hyde Park.

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9404clas.asp

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907fea3.asp
Old May 15, '08, 7:38 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercygate View Post
I've been looking for a web site for the Catholic Evidence Guild. There was an old thread from about 4 years ago on CAF that linked to the CEG, but the link no longer works.

I know they are active in New York. Anybody have contact info?
Are you looking for snail mail, website, or either? I found this address on the Envoy website:

Catholic Evidence Guild
PO Box 55
Larchmont, NY 10538

It's the same address listed in the second article you linked to (which is from 1999). The listing on Envoy's page is from issue 4.6, which came out around the year 2000, so that might not be current. I tried searching under the address at both whitepages.com and yellowpages.com and nothing came up.

Is this the old thread you were talking about? Patrick Sweeny (the OP of that thread and speaker for the CEG) has his blog (Extreme Catholic) in his signature. It appears that the blog is still active. I think it might be against forum rules to post his email address, but it's there on his blog. You could try emailing him as he would probably know the most recent contact info.

He still has the catholicevidence.org website in the links on his blog. Maybe the website is just down temporarily.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old May 15, '08, 7:44 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Are you looking for snail mail, website, or either? I found this address on the Envoy website:

Catholic Evidence Guild
PO Box 55
Larchmont, NY 10538

It's the same address listed in the second article you linked to (which is from 1999). The listing on Envoy's page is from issue 4.6, which came out around the year 2000, so that might not be current. I tried searching under the address at both whitepages.com and yellowpages.com and nothing came up.

Is this the old thread you were talking about? Patrick Sweeny (the OP of that thread and speaker for the CEG) has his blog (Extreme Catholic) in his signature. It appears that the blog is still active. I think it might be against forum rules to post his email address, but it's there on his blog. You could try emailing him as he would probably know the most recent contact info.

He still has the catholicevidence.org website in the links on his blog. Maybe the website is just down temporarily.
You are so SMART! I knew I would get help (now, why didn't I think of that?). I saw the snail address from 9 years ago and since it was a box number judged it to be dead (not a wise thought).
Old May 15, '08, 8:29 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercygate View Post
You are so SMART! I knew I would get help (now, why didn't I think of that?). I saw the snail address from 9 years ago and since it was a box number judged it to be dead (not a wise thought).
I do what I can.

I'd probably start by emailing Pat Sweeny just to be sure that the PO Box is still current.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old May 15, '08, 8:39 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
I do what I can.

I'd probably start by emailing Pat Sweeny just to be sure that the PO Box is still current.
I already did that!
Old May 17, '08, 2:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Hi MercyGate
I am a member of the Catholic Evidence Guild in New York City. We are just ending our weekly training class for new members for the year. We were meeting at St. Malachy's on 49th St. But, we will be holding informal meetings at St. Patricks, in the Parish House very soon. It will consist of 4-5 weeks of meetings giving a basic overview of Apologetics.
When I get more details, I'll be happy to pass them along to you.

We also have our monthly meetings "on the streets". Our next outdoor session will be the Saturday of Memorial day weekend in Washington Square Park, by NYU. We meet between 1-5pm.

Come by and say "HI"... we defend the faith with "gentleness and reverance"

God Bless
Bobbymac.
Old May 17, '08, 4:06 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbymac View Post
Hi MercyGate
I am a member of the Catholic Evidence Guild in New York City. We are just ending our weekly training class for new members for the year. We were meeting at St. Malachy's on 49th St. But, we will be holding informal meetings at St. Patricks, in the Parish House very soon. It will consist of 4-5 weeks of meetings giving a basic overview of Apologetics.
When I get more details, I'll be happy to pass them along to you.

We also have our monthly meetings "on the streets". Our next outdoor session will be the Saturday of Memorial day weekend in Washington Square Park, by NYU. We meet between 1-5pm.

Come by and say "HI"... we defend the faith with "gentleness and reverance"

God Bless
Bobbymac.
Thanks, Bobbymac! I would like to follow up on this. I have an acquaintance from Queens who works with the CEG, and can also contact him. Feel free to pm or e-mail me as your plans get firmed up for the summer.

Note who wrote my sig!
Old May 22, '08, 5:43 am
Prayer Warrior

Hi Mercygate and anyone else,

I just wanted to get back to you and to let everyone else know that the Catholic Evidence Guild will be holding 5 FREE Apologetic classes beginning on Wednesday May 28th from 6:15-7:45 at the Cathedral of St. Patrick, Rectory, 51st street, west of Madison Ave in NYC
The classes will take up the issues of how our faith is reasonable and how do we justify it, Why the Catholic Church, What is life's purpose, What do we mean by Supernatural life and How do we know the answers and other topics.
The classes will be led by members of the Catholic Evidence Guild of NY.

Everyone is Welcome

God Bless All
Bobbymac.
Old May 22, '08, 5:54 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Mercygate and anyone else,

I just wanted to get back to you and to let everyone else know that the Catholic Evidence Guild will be holding 5 FREE Apologetic classes beginning on Wednesday May 28th from 6:15-7:45 at the Cathedral of St. Patrick, Rectory, 51st street, west of Madison Ave in NYC
The classes will take up the issues of how our faith is reasonable and how do we justify it, Why the Catholic Church, What is life's purpose, What do we mean by Supernatural life and How do we know the answers and other topics.
The classes will be led by members of the Catholic Evidence Guild of NY.

Everyone is Welcome

God Bless All
Bobbymac.
THANK you for this. Will it be five Wednesdays? Five consecutive days? Help.
Old May 23, '08, 5:34 am
Prayer Warrior

hi mercygate;
Sorry for the confusion......
its each wednesday beginning on 5/28, 6/4,6/11,6/18,6/25.

Anyone in the ny metro area is invited to join....and its FREE.

God Bless
bobbymac
Old May 23, '08, 5:37 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
hi mercygate;
Sorry for the confusion......
its each wednesday beginning on 5/28, 6/4,6/11,6/18,6/25.

Anyone in the ny metro area is invited to join....and its FREE.

God Bless
bobbymac
I'm going to try for this. I have a 3:00 p.m. meeting in the Bronx ( ) on the 28th and might not be able to run up and down the island . . . But the other weeks I will try.
Old May 23, '08, 2:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Hi Mercygate

I hope you can make the meeting on 5/28. If not, and your in NYC this Sunday in the area of Washington Sq. Park, come by and see the Evidence Guild in action.

Our group will the in the park between 1pm-5pm. Look for our stand and our speakers podium with the Catholic Evidence Guild sign on it.

We always get a lively crowd.

God Bless
Bobbymac
Old Jun 20, '08, 11:37 pm

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)

How can we start or learn more about joining a Catholic Evidence Guild?

Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics