Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > The Clubhouse

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 19, '08, 8:47 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to nicolep
Smile Confession Joke - I think this one is cute!

Quote:
The elderly priest, speaking to the younger priest, said, "You had a good idea to replace the first four pews with plush bucket theater seats. It worked like a charm. The front of the church always fills first now. The young priest nodded, and the old priest continued, "And you told me adding a little more beat to the music would bring young people back to church, so I supported you when you brought in that rock 'n' roll gospel choir. Now our services are consistently packed to the balcony." "Thank you, Father," answered the young priest. "I am pleased that you are open to the new ideas of youth." "All of these ideas have been well and good," said the elderly priest, "But I'm afraid you've gone too far with the drive-thru confessional." "But, Father," protested the young priest, "my confessions and the donations have nearly doubled since I began that!" "Yes," replied the elderly priest, "And I appreciate that. But the flashing neon sign, 'Toot 'n' tell or Go to Hell' cannot stay on the roof."
I could see the two priests at my parish having this very conversation!

God bless,
Nicole
Old May 19, '08, 8:54 am
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Confession Joke - I think this one is cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolep View Post

God bless,
Nicole
Good one.
Old May 19, '08, 3:54 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I know some people who'd love a drive-through-confessional...

O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Tiber Swim Team '07-'08
Old May 20, '08, 8:02 pm
Banned

great...
Old May 23, '08, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer G. View Post
Or how about a Credit Confessional: Absolution now, sin later.

I'm kidding of course.
And some are merely spaced
Grand Designs--Rush
Old May 23, '08, 5:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus2112 View Post
Or how about a Credit Confessional: Absolution now, sin later.

I'm kidding of course.
I think that is called OSAS
Old May 23, '08, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrinus_WA View Post
I think that is called OSAS
You know, as a Protestant I never quite got that. We always talked about "backsliders" and getting them "right with God," but there was always OSAS. I'm convinced that I was actually born a Catholic since I always questioned the Protestant teachings that clashed with Catholicism.
And some are merely spaced
Grand Designs--Rush
Old May 23, '08, 5:34 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I had a fun confession last month...

I love Holy Mother Church's sacrament of Reconciliation. Even though sometimes it is hard to get there and take the bull by the horns...to admit you just have some really bad faults. Impatience is one of mine I fear. I don't suffer fools gladly as the saying goes. But with the grace of God, we can change and we can overcome our particular weaknesses. So, I welcome the saving and all powerful grace of a good confession. It is cleansing to the soul and the heart and the mind. Case in point, a confession of mine a few weeks ago. I was telling Father I was really struggling with impatience and irritability. He is an excellent confessor and spiritual director so he took his time as we talked over ways to defeat this particular weakness of mine. When I finished he said to tell the others in line he had no time for more confession. Now I know God set me up for this one...

The first guy in line blew up and started yelling at me..."YOU ()*&^%$#@ WOMEN!!!!!, why don't you make an appointment. You just yak! Yak! Yak! and take up all of the confession time before mass, when he paused for a breath, I sweetly smiled (gotta love the Holy Spirit's inspiration when your full of grace from confession) and so I told him:

"I am so sorry. I tried to make it short but since I was confessing that I had killed sixty people and am a serial killer, Father took a lot of time. He wanted names, dates and the method I used to snuff them out. Then I looked real horrified and exclaimed.."OH! My gosh, I told you and your not a priest. I guess I 'm gonna have to kill you and go back to confession next week." He looked totally shocked then I grinned at him and he burst out laughing. Snicker!!! All's well that ends well.

And so I urge one and all, don't pass up a great grace which many people seem not to use these days. It's one of the greatest treasures of our faith.
Old May 23, '08, 5:37 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieodae View Post

I love Holy Mother Church's sacrament of Reconciliation. Even though sometimes it is hard to get there and take the bull by the horns...to admit you just have some really bad faults. Impatience is one of mine I fear. I don't suffer fools gladly as the saying goes. But with the grace of God, we can change and we can overcome our particular weaknesses. So, I welcome the saving and all powerful grace of a good confession. It is cleansing to the soul and the heart and the mind. Case in point, a confession of mine a few weeks ago. I was telling Father I was really struggling with impatience and irritability. He is an excellent confessor and spiritual director so he took his time as we talked over ways to defeat this particular weakness of mine. When I finished he said to tell the others in line he had no time for more confession. Now I know God set me up for this one...

The first guy in line blew up and started yelling at me..."YOU ()*&^%$#@ WOMEN!!!!!, why don't you make an appointment. You just yak! Yak! Yak! and take up all of the confession time before mass, when he paused for a breath, I sweetly smiled (gotta love the Holy Spirit's inspiration when your full of grace from confession) and so I told him:

"I am so sorry. I tried to make it short but since I was confessing that I had killed sixty people and am a serial killer, Father took a lot of time. He wanted names, dates and the method I used to snuff them out. Then I looked real horrified and exclaimed.."OH! My gosh, I told you and your not a priest. I guess I 'm gonna have to kill you and go back to confession next week." He looked totally shocked then I grinned at him and he burst out laughing. Snicker!!! All's well that ends well.

And so I urge one and all, don't pass up a great grace which many people seem not to use these days. It's one of the greatest treasures of our faith.
Well, at least he cursed in church BEFORE going into the confessional... not afterwards, then he'd have to turn right back around.

O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Tiber Swim Team '07-'08
Old May 23, '08, 5:38 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer G. View Post
Well, at least he cursed in church BEFORE going into the confessional... not afterwards, then he'd have to turn right back around.
God is good isn't He. And since he had to wait another week, I am sure he had lots of time to repent.
Old May 23, '08, 5:40 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:

God bless,
Nicole
I forwarded it to my priest!

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Old May 23, '08, 5:41 pm

Quote:
You know, there are Saturdays when my littlest ones are just so darned cranky or napping when the confessions are scheduled. If I could pull up without waking them from their naps and getting them out of their carseats, and just confess through the car window like that, I would totally do it. Seriously. Obviously the cars would move through the line much slower than at McDonald's, but that's okay...

Margaret
Old May 23, '08, 5:42 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Meg View Post
You know, there are Saturdays when my littlest ones are just so darned cranky or napping when the confessions are scheduled. If I could pull up without waking them from their naps and getting them out of their carseats, and just confess through the car window like that, I would totally do it. Seriously. Obviously the cars would move through the line much slower than at McDonald's, but that's okay...

Margaret
And no need to hear the I want Ice Cream from the kiddos.
Old May 27, '08, 5:38 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nicolep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieodae View Post

That is fantastic! It's so something I would have said in the situation. Either that or I would have completely snapped. Hopefully, I would have taken the prior response if I just came out of confession.

Confession truly is a blessing. It's one of the things I love about the Catholic Church.

"...not my will, but yours be done" Luke 22:42
Old Jun 1, '08, 7:11 am

Quote:

God bless,
Nicole
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > The Clubhouse