Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 20, '08, 3:51 pm
ProVobis ProVobis is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 26, 2008
Posts: 28,969
Religion: Catholic
Default How do you justify...

Receiving communion after not putting in anything in the collection plate. Isn't the 5th precept of the Church to contribute to its support? Now I'm not even talking 5 or 10 or 20%. I'm talking putting something, however little; at least not give bad example by ignoring the collection basket altogether.

I read the statistics are like 80% don't put anything at all in the collection plate. When you have low Mass attendance, how are the priests supposed to live on that? Are we always supposed to look for huge donors to pay our way at Mass? Is this fair to us and to them?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 20, '08, 3:56 pm
joeybaggz joeybaggz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 19, 2008
Posts: 416
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Yes, we all have an obligation to support the church, after all, someone has to pay the electric bill.

However, having to "pay" for the sacrament of the Eucharist, isn't that a little like going back to paying for "indulgences". If I recall, that didn't do the Church a whole lot of good. Something about a guy named Luther.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 20, '08, 4:16 pm
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,533
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Receiving communion after not putting in anything in the collection plate. Isn't the 5th precept of the Church to contribute to its support? Now I'm not even talking 5 or 10 or 20%. I'm talking putting something, however little; at least not give bad example by ignoring the collection basket altogether.

I read the statistics are like 80% don't put anything at all in the collection plate. When you have low Mass attendance, how are the priests supposed to live on that? Are we always supposed to look for huge donors to pay our way at Mass? Is this fair to us and to them?
It's not fair to judge. I know families who never put anything in the collection plate but are very involved, offering both time and talent. The time they put in is worth more than the money they can ill afford.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 20, '08, 4:18 pm
OutinChgoburbs OutinChgoburbs is offline
Senior Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: December 28, 2004
Posts: 7,008
Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Receiving communion after not putting in anything in the collection plate. This is one of the reasons I like going to an early Mass. There is no usher, and nobody sees what I put into the basket. There is a basket in the vestibule, and the offering goes in- no peeking! Isn't the 5th precept of the Church to contribute to its support? Now I'm not even talking 5 or 10 or 20%. I'm talking putting something, however little; at least not give bad example by ignoring the collection basket altogether. As I explained, our parish puts the basket in the vestibule at the early Sunday Mass, and I love it! But to answer your question, some people pay their offering electronically through ParishPay and other methods of electronic collection. It saves money on envelopes, and the parish receives an even, steady stream of income, even when parishioners are away. When they pay in this method, they don't need to give again. Parishes that practice this method have actually found that when people commit to a pledged amount every month at some point in the year, and the parishioners use EBT methods, their contributions actually increase. So no, they don't need to give again!

There could be very good reasons not to give, as one does not have the money. That does not mean a catholic properly disposed shouldn't receive Communion. That's when they need the Blessed Sacrament more, not less! And I believe St. Paul had plenty to say about such an attitude. The rich aren't to be given preferential treatment of the sacraments over those who are not rich.

I read the statistics are like 80% don't put anything at all in the collection plate. In some parishes yes, in some parishes no. When you have low Mass attendance, how are the priests supposed to live on that? Priests receive their monthly stipend from the dioceses or their order, not the collection basket, THANK GOODNESS! As you point out, if this were the case, in some parishes, the poor priest would be living on rice and beans or less. At least, that is the way it is in the US. Are we always supposed to look for huge donors to pay our way at Mass? Is this fair to us and to them?
__________________
I am who I am, and that's all that I am!
http://retreadparent.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 20, '08, 4:24 pm
kujayhawk kujayhawk is offline
Junior Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: September 20, 2006
Posts: 102
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Post #1 by ProVobis states:
Quote:
Receiving communion after not putting in anything in the collection plate... I'm talking putting something, however little; at least not give bad example by ignoring the collection basket altogether.
Bad example? Who's watching? The usher? The other people in the pew?

Better question is, Who's not minding their own business?

What about those who give the church a monthly offering - or mail a check or perhaps the offering is made by automatic bank withdrawal? Should they put a note in the collection basket each week to indicate that fact for those who are watching them -- and judging if or not they should receive communion?

This is a silly question - and I took the bait by answering!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 20, '08, 5:22 pm
SacredHeartFan's Avatar
SacredHeartFan SacredHeartFan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: October 27, 2007
Posts: 1,286
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to SacredHeartFan
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujayhawk View Post
Post #1 by ProVobis states:


Bad example? Who's watching? The usher? The other people in the pew?

Better question is, Who's not minding their own business?

What about those who give the church a monthly offering - or mail a check or perhaps the offering is made by automatic bank withdrawal? Should they put a note in the collection basket each week to indicate that fact for those who are watching them -- and judging if or not they should receive communion?

This is a silly question - and I took the bait by answering!
Well if you have children and they watch you ignore the plate then they do the same. Those who do what you suggest and have children should explain to their children why they don't put money in the plate every week.

As for going recieve communion, no as long as you give something every once and a while.
__________________

Blessed Mother, Star of the Sea, Pray for us!

"If the Americans were as expert in spiritual
matters as they are in business affairs, all of
them would be saints!"
~Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos
www.seelos.org
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 20, '08, 5:40 pm
kujayhawk kujayhawk is offline
Junior Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: September 20, 2006
Posts: 102
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredHeartFan View Post
Well if you have children and they watch you ignore the plate then they do the same. Those who do what you suggest and have children should explain to their children why they don't put money in the plate every week.

As for going recieve communion, no as long as you give something every once and a while.
If parents are giving by the means I stated earlier - check in mail or in collection basket monthly or automatic bank withdrawal, I would certainly think they would share that fact with their children who are old enough to understand.

I have no children, but most parents that I know well enough to know this fact about them, have their children give a percentage of their spending money to the church weekly or monthly depending when that money is alloted to them. Kids probably don't write checks or have debit cards!!!!

I will grant your point, that your children would notice, and I grant that some parents would not share with their kids how and when they give to the church, although I can't understand why they would withhold that information from them. It should be part of their role as teachers of their children.

As for giving to the support of the church and receiving communion, that is a matter to be discussed with a confessor if the person is having doubts or questions about it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 20, '08, 5:43 pm
SacredHeartFan's Avatar
SacredHeartFan SacredHeartFan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: October 27, 2007
Posts: 1,286
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to SacredHeartFan
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujayhawk View Post
If parents are giving by the means I stated earlier - check in mail or in collection basket monthly or automatic bank withdrawal, I would certainly think they would share that fact with their children who are old enough to understand.

I have no children, but most parents that I know well enough to know this fact about them, have their children give a percentage of their spending money to the church weekly or monthly depending when that money is alloted to them. Kids probably don't write checks or have debit cards!!!!

I will grant your point, that your children would notice, and I grant that some parents would not share with their kids how and when they give to the church, although I can't understand why they would withhold that information from them. It should be part of their role as teachers of their children.

As for giving to the support of the church and receiving communion, that is a matter to be discussed with a confessor if the person is having doubts or questions about it.
yes it should be a part of their role as parents but some parents, not all, fail to realize this.
__________________

Blessed Mother, Star of the Sea, Pray for us!

"If the Americans were as expert in spiritual
matters as they are in business affairs, all of
them would be saints!"
~Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos
www.seelos.org
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 20, '08, 5:53 pm
drafdog drafdog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 22, 2007
Posts: 1,839
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

When I am employed, money goes in the basket. When there is no income, I don't put anything in.

Matthew
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 20, '08, 7:12 pm
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,533
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutinChgoburbs View Post
Priests receive their monthly stipend from the dioceses or their order, not the collection basket, THANK GOODNESS! As you point out, if this were the case, in some parishes, the poor priest would be living on rice and beans or less. At least, that is the way it is in the US.
That's not the way it is in our diocese. Each parish is responsible for its pastor's stipend, whether he's diocesan or religious. The diocesan guys pay income tax and clear a little more than the religious ones whose Congregation has a contract with the diocese for a specific stipend + 2 trips a year back to their Province's Headquarters. Those are usually paid for by the parishes.

Yes, some parishes find it harder than others and some of the priests eat better than others.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 20, '08, 7:13 pm
muffinmojo muffinmojo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2007
Posts: 354
Default Re: How do you justify...

Isn't it okay to take the money you get on payday, distribute it to various funds for things(food, transportation, clothing, bills), then decide how much you think you can give, add 10% of what you thought you could, and then give it once or twice a month based on paycheck? It seems weird to give several times during one pay period...why not just take it out at the beginning when you get paid..?


That is what I would do(or something similar) if I had a job. Too bad I'm a high school student who is sadly unemployed. I give what I can, which is usually once a month giving. Even if I made more money, I'd give it all at once rather than space it out during the month so I could feel good about putting something in the plate each time....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 20, '08, 7:18 pm
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,533
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmojo View Post
Isn't it okay to take the money you get on payday, distribute it to various funds for things(food, transportation, clothing, bills), then decide how much you think you can give, add 10% of what you thought you could, and then give it once or twice a month based on paycheck? It seems weird to give several times during one pay period...why not just take it out at the beginning when you get paid..?


That is what I would do(or something similar) if I had a job. Too bad I'm a high school student who is sadly unemployed. I give what I can, which is usually once a month giving. Even if I made more money, I'd give it all at once rather than space it out during the month so I could feel good about putting something in the plate each time....
On payday (every 2 weeks) I take out my 'spending money' for that pay period. The envelopes for the next 2 Sundays get filled, as well as one of the Special Collection envelopes (Building Fund, Share Lent, Pope's Pastoral Works, etc). That way if some big expense comes up in a pay period that includes a Special Collection I'm usually covered for that one already.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 20, '08, 7:32 pm
puzzleannie puzzleannie is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2004
Posts: 37,470
Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: How do you justify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Receiving communion after not putting in anything in the collection plate.
I
one is not dependent on the other. yes it is a law of the Church to support her with one's time, talent and treasure. No, that gift does not have to be placed in the collection basket every week, or at all. There are many other ways to give, and many who cannot give other than by uniting their needs and suffering with that of Christ, and the rest of us support the Church so those in such need will be served.

the purpose of the collection happening during Mass, rather than at another time and place, is that we symbolically acknowledge that all we have is gift, and the pittance we give back is a symbol of that fact. these gifts are brought, along with the bread and wine purchased with our donations, to the altar so that all we have is offered to God, by Christ, through the Holy Spirit.
__________________
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, on heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 20, '08, 8:58 pm
sarahraegraham sarahraegraham is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 14, 2007
Posts: 359
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

This is basically covered by what a couple of other posters have already stated (along the same lines of a bank withdrawal where the person is giving but you are not seeing it... My husband and I will sometimes attend Mass on both Saturday evening and Sunday morning. But we only drop the envelope in the basket once! So if you were looking at my husband and I, thinking bad things about us for not giving, you would be very, very wrong.

Matthew 6:1-4
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Yes, we should all give however we can (time, money, prayers especially), but when you go to Church stop watching what over people do and mind your business.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 20, '08, 11:39 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do you justify...

Time, talent, and treasure....Some people volunteer an awful lot of their time at their parishes....Some share great talents....Others can afford to share treasure.

We are not to judge. We DON'T know! Frankly, it is none of our business!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Bible Verses Do Protestants Use to Justify... Penitus Sacred Scripture 5 Apr 29, '08 11:15 pm
Protestants how do you justify Jesus commandment, "Baptize them in the Name of the..? Mannyfit75 Sacred Scripture 0 Feb 3, '07 6:57 pm
For NDMormon: How do you justify Joseph Smith polygamy practices? christianley Non-Catholic Religions 12 Oct 4, '06 5:23 pm
Does the end EVER justify the means? Blackbog Moral Theology 25 Sep 27, '06 8:53 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8540Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5198CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4433Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3870SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3838Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3397Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3300Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3152For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.