Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old May 28, '08, 7:44 am
Jennifer J Jennifer J is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 4,963
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

We've been enjoying our Wii Fit a great deal. The weight seems to be pretty accurate, but if you don't weigh yourself at the same time each day it can be a few pounds off. Apparently it gave my dh grief yesterday--it asked how I was doing and then told him he need to pay more attention to me, LOL.

I like the yoga and some of the strength exercises. I'll admit freely that I can't do pushups.at.all..... Love the boxing, though I can't do some of the moves right, lol, I'm such a klutz. the step aerobics are fun and I've unlocked Free Step. Hmmm, I like all of the balance games, but I'm terrible at them.

All and all it's been good at getting me motivated and getting me moving. It's pretty gentle and free with the positive comments.

The kids love it as well. Be careful allowing them to do the body testing and bmi. It has my children as overweight--and I can tell you that they are not. I don't know if there is a flaw or it's just not set BMI-wise for children? Anyone know? I've told them to not use that feature and just play the games It's for fun and to be more healthy (did a quick google search and there is a bit of a problem with BMI and children and the Wii Fit who knew )
__________________
Jennifer
momma to
W (15) , C (12) , E (11) , M (9) , L (7) , M (5) , N (1)
and loving wife (18 years) to M
Catholic Convert '96
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old May 28, '08, 7:46 am
Chovy Chovy is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 2,710
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Mirror View Post
Did you have a Wii before now? How long have you had it? Do you have any other games? We have Wii Sports (obviously), Wii Fit (duh) and Wii Play.

I agree that some of the tasks are really tough. Again, if I have to stand still and maintain balance for a long time, I am no good. Maybe that is why I do not like the Yoga very much, yet. I have to work on that one.

I like most all of the Strength exercises. They do not all like me, but that is another story. I am kinda ashamed to admit that the 6 pushup/planks are tough to get through. I can make it, but am struggling at the end. I do like most of these though.

The Aerobics is fun. DW enjoys me doing the Hula Hooping or the Stepping. She gets a kick out of it. You can unlock a new hula hooping here, and an advanced step once you get enough credits. Just play the game, it does not take long to unlock these games.

The Balancing is getting better for me. Once I figured out how to do the Ski Jump I was happy. The heading of the soccer balls is getting easier too. You can unlock a tight rope walk, a bubble travelling down a river, a penguin catching fish on an iceberg, and even another balance game of moving a board with a hole into to make your ball fall through.

Now I am tired after typing all of that.....just kidding.
We got the Wii this weekend, and along with Wii fit, we got Wii play, Wii sports, Mario Cart, Sims II castaway (for me) and Zelda (for Kevin).

I cannot do the push-up side planks at all. I've only made it through 3! I can do them just fine if I stay on my knees but I definitely don't have the upper body strength or stomach control to make it through the rest. The strength training is ok. I just unlocked the advanced step today and that's a lot of fun! On the balance games, I like the ski jump and slalom the best but I need work on all of them. The best thing is that it's getting us moving instead of just sitting on the couch.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old May 28, '08, 7:50 am
Mirror Mirror Mirror Mirror is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 10, 2005
Posts: 8,703
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror Mirror
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chovy View Post
We got the Wii this weekend, and along with Wii fit, we got Wii play, Wii sports, Mario Cart, Sims II castaway (for me) and Zelda (for Kevin).

I cannot do the push-up side planks at all. I've only made it through 3! I can do them just fine if I stay on my knees but I definitely don't have the upper body strength or stomach control to make it through the rest. The strength training is ok. I just unlocked the advanced step today and that's a lot of fun! On the balance games, I like the ski jump and slalom the best but I need work on all of them. The best thing is that it's getting us moving instead of just sitting on the couch.
I think that the last part is what I like the most about it. We are up and moving about. But with your game selection can I just say when can we stop by? I really want to get Mario Kart, I think that looks like a ton of fun. Something that the kiddos will enjoy as well.

I do like the balance games as well, but like you, I need to work on them. Forgot to mention the boxing, that is awesome.
__________________
"The abuse of a good does not diminish the good of a good"
--Matthew Kelly


"I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?"
--Matthew West
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old May 28, '08, 7:52 am
mamacita mamacita is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 22, 2007
Posts: 3,854
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chovy View Post
Yes, we are both using it. We both got some games as well so the wii fit how we bank time for the games. Some of those tasks are really difficult! Well, they are for me at least.

What's your favorite exercise/challenge? We don't have all of them unlocked yet.

YAY for Ann!!! I am sooo excited that we both have one now!!

I can't do much of the stuff either, don't feel bad. Especially the balance games and the strength training. I stick mostly w/ aerobics since I need to burn body fat. My fave is the advanced step exercise, I clap along w/ it and MM says, "you don't need to clap, it has no idea if you do it or not." I like it, it keeps me going w/ the clapping.
__________________




"Every Mother is a Working Woman."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old May 28, '08, 7:53 am
Mirror Mirror Mirror Mirror is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 10, 2005
Posts: 8,703
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror Mirror
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer J View Post
We've been enjoying our Wii Fit a great deal. The weight seems to be pretty accurate, but if you don't weigh yourself at the same time each day it can be a few pounds off. Apparently it gave my dh grief yesterday--it asked how I was doing and then told him he need to pay more attention to me, LOL.
That is so funny!!

Quote:
I like the yoga and some of the strength exercises. I'll admit freely that I can't do pushups.at.all..... Love the boxing, though I can't do some of the moves right, lol, I'm such a klutz. the step aerobics are fun and I've unlocked Free Step. Hmmm, I like all of the balance games, but I'm terrible at them.

All and all it's been good at getting me motivated and getting me moving. It's pretty gentle and free with the positive comments.

The kids love it as well. Be careful allowing them to do the body testing and bmi. It has my children as overweight--and I can tell you that they are not. I don't know if there is a flaw or it's just not set BMI-wise for children? Anyone know? I've told them to not use that feature and just play the games It's for fun and to be more healthy (did a quick google search and there is a bit of a problem with BMI and children and the Wii Fit who knew )
I would think that this game is not (specifically) desginged for children as far as the weight and BMI goes. But I agree, they should just play the games and have fun. That is what my kids do. Then again, 2 of them are too young to understand what BMI and how much you weigh means.

I agree with you about the boxing, I had forgotten that one. I have unlocked the 6 minute routine and it takes about 8 mins. It can be tough, especially with my scatter brain trying to remember what the steps are. Then getting confused when you step back. I really like that one though, I do that one each time.
__________________
"The abuse of a good does not diminish the good of a good"
--Matthew Kelly


"I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?"
--Matthew West
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old May 28, '08, 7:55 am
Mirror Mirror Mirror Mirror is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 10, 2005
Posts: 8,703
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror Mirror
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita View Post

My fave is the advanced step exercise, I clap along w/ it and MM says, "you don't need to clap, it has no idea if you do it or not." I like it, it keeps me going w/ the clapping.
__________________
"The abuse of a good does not diminish the good of a good"
--Matthew Kelly


"I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?"
--Matthew West
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old May 28, '08, 8:01 am
Jennifer J Jennifer J is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 4,963
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Oh, I forgot to add, we also have Wii Sports (had to order a replacement for that one, my 3 year old decided to drag 4 discs along the floor *yikes* not good for discs at all!), Mario Party, Wii Winter Olympics, and a Party Games disc (with darts and such). I've only played the Sports and Wii Fit--it's all I can fit into the day, lol
__________________
Jennifer
momma to
W (15) , C (12) , E (11) , M (9) , L (7) , M (5) , N (1)
and loving wife (18 years) to M
Catholic Convert '96
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old May 28, '08, 8:16 am
BlestOne BlestOne is offline
 
Join Date: March 6, 2005
Posts: 7,780
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

OK... now I am absolutely dying to get this.. I told dh about it last night... he isn't/wasn't so sure about the scale thing but I told him you can password it...

I have wii sports and love that one too Jennifer...

OK... I thought of another question... does it have stuff you can do together like a 2 person game but not?? I thought it might be fun to do something with dh on it that will do us some good....
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old May 28, '08, 8:19 am
Mirror Mirror Mirror Mirror is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 10, 2005
Posts: 8,703
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror Mirror
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlestOne View Post
OK... now I am absolutely dying to get this.. I told dh about it last night... he isn't/wasn't so sure about the scale thing but I told him you can password it...

I have wii sports and love that one too Jennifer...

OK... I thought of another question... does it have stuff you can do together like a 2 person game but not?? I thought it might be fun to do something with dh on it that will do us some good....
Aside from watching each other and getting a good "belly laugh" there is not much for 2 people to do. The only exercise that they have for 2 players (that I have found) is running. While doing that, only the main person (that has selected their Mii) will be given any credit for it. The other person running gets a randomly selected person.

As a side note, DW just told me that last night she found a way to adjust settings so that you can take into account the time that you spent cooking, doing laundry, walking, etc and that will help to account for your daily fitness. this game keeps getting more interesting everyday.
__________________
"The abuse of a good does not diminish the good of a good"
--Matthew Kelly


"I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?"
--Matthew West
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old May 28, '08, 8:22 am
Chovy Chovy is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 2,710
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita View Post

YAY for Ann!!! I am sooo excited that we both have one now!!

I can't do much of the stuff either, don't feel bad. Especially the balance games and the strength training. I stick mostly w/ aerobics since I need to burn body fat. My fave is the advanced step exercise, I clap along w/ it and MM says, "you don't need to clap, it has no idea if you do it or not." I like it, it keeps me going w/ the clapping.
KRAZ laughs at me on the soccer ball thing because I swing my head at the imaginary balls. I clap on advanced step too! Every calorie counts, right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old May 28, '08, 8:24 am
Chovy Chovy is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 2,710
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlestOne View Post
OK... now I am absolutely dying to get this.. I told dh about it last night... he isn't/wasn't so sure about the scale thing but I told him you can password it...

I have wii sports and love that one too Jennifer...

OK... I thought of another question... does it have stuff you can do together like a 2 person game but not?? I thought it might be fun to do something with dh on it that will do us some good....
My DH cracked my code! I password protected it to salvage what is left of my self-respect regarding my weight, and used what I thought was a super secret pin but he cheated and guessed it anyway. Ugh.

It doesn't really have 2 person games but we "compete" against each other on the different challenges since it keeps track of the top 10 scores on each challenge.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old May 28, '08, 8:44 am
Mirror Mirror Mirror Mirror is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 10, 2005
Posts: 8,703
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Mirror Mirror
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chovy View Post
It doesn't really have 2 person games but we "compete" against each other on the different challenges since it keeps track of the top 10 scores on each challenge.
Us too!

Our oldest (9) he has some scores that are better than us.
__________________
"The abuse of a good does not diminish the good of a good"
--Matthew Kelly


"I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
What if I had given everything,
Instead of going through the motions?"
--Matthew West
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old May 28, '08, 8:49 am
RichT RichT is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 28, 2004
Posts: 737
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Mirror View Post

Our oldest (9) he has some scores that are better than us.
My 4 year old can out bowl! We just got our Wii this past weekend, and I fel like I need to see a chiropractor!

Anyway, I just found a Wii Fit, so help is on the way. Paid a bit more than retail for it, but hey, I'm just a bit impatient!
__________________
Rich

Vivat Jesus!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old May 28, '08, 9:08 am
juno24's Avatar
juno24 juno24 is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 2,791
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Wii Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Mirror View Post


You are given the option when you setting everything up to set a password. The password will protect anyone from using your character (or Mii) or seeing any info. The info is not displayed on screen unless you go to that in the game.
Thanks! This is good to know. Like I said, I have not been able to get a Wii yet, but I am looking forward to the day I have one and can use the Wii Fit program. It really looks like a lot of fun! (And I have never in my life ever said that about any type of exercise!! LOL!)
__________________
Judy

"To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as being right in doing it." -- G.K. Chesterton

"Doing the right thing starts at the beginning of the day, not after you've been caught." John Crichton, Farscape.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old May 28, '08, 11:19 am
djrakowski djrakowski is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 25, 2004
Posts: 3,185
Religion: Christian Catholic since 9/9/06
Send a message via AIM to djrakowski
Default Re: Wii Fit

My wife and I were shopping at Target last weekend and were fortunate enough to find a single Wii console on the shelves. Apparently a mom bought it for her children, but returned it when they acted up There was a single Wii Fit package on the shelves as well, but I didn't know what it was until I got home and started dong a little research. Needless to say, by the time I made it back to the store the next day, the Wii Fit was gone

So we've been searching local Wal-Mart and Target stores, but they've all sold out. One Wal-Mart received 8 of them this morning. One of my co-workers checked it out at lunchtime, and they'd already sold out.

I hope I'm able to get one soon. My wife and I have been working on healthy living habits (and I've managed to lose roughly 15 pounds in 5.5 weeks), and the last piece of the puzzle is an at-home exercise routine. I'm hoping it looks fun enough for the kids to get involved, too!

I must say, though, that the Wii Sports gives a relatively decent workout. The boxing and tennis games had me sweating in no time at all.
__________________
"Lord, teach me to know you so that I could love you." - Fr. Valerian Rykowski, 11/12/1916-3/1/2009
Interested in converting to Catholicism? Visit the Tiber Swim Team Lifeguard Station!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for all you Wii owners..... mamacita Family Life 21 May 20, '08 10:34 pm
We got a Wii!!! Here it's only April 2nd...oh pssst KCtheMommy Parenting 26 Apr 8, '08 5:56 pm
Doctors Use Wii Games for Rehab Therapy didymus World News 0 Feb 11, '08 5:22 am
tell me all things Wii !! Rob's Wife Family Life 51 Dec 3, '07 7:21 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8024Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Roddy1234
4816CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: 77stanthony77
4284Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: johnthebaptist2
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3810SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3358Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3183Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: CountrySteve
3145Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2959For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
2678Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:52 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.