Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 24, '08, 4:29 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Marriages for companionship?

I'm 40 and engaged to be married to a woman aged 62...we're both Catholic. Is there any impediment to marriage with this age difference? What considerations do we need to consider together and should I consider privately before the date? There are not likely to be any children from this marriage...what is the purpose therefore beyond companionship? Is it less valid than a marriage between a young couple? Do you know of any books that might assist in our preparation...I'm a Catholic and would prefer an orthodox Catholic answer....naturally I have some reservations about the marriage but have kept them private. I thank you for any help.
Old May 24, '08, 11:17 am

Default Re: Marriages for companionship?

You may want to schedule a private meeting with a priest that you trust. God Bless.
Old May 24, '08, 1:01 pm

Thanks..the answered I dread....he'll turn me inside out...and leave me kicking and screaming all the way to heaven! sincerely BRENDAN
Old May 24, '08, 1:04 pm

Is he the only Priest you can talk to and do you trust him?
Old May 24, '08, 2:18 pm

From your articulation, I'm almost a little uneasy myself as to why you are engaged to this woman and what you hope for out of the marriage, especially if you have "some reservations."

That said, I see no reason for impediments here just based upon the age difference. No, there is no reason that the marriage would be in any way "less valid" just because there is no possibility of children. Conjugal relations remain quite worthy as a unitive and celebrative function of the marriage, even though she would be presumed sterile.

As to what considerations or issues need to be worked out, that obviously depends upon where each of you are with this on a human and religious level. It would be challenging to advise without knowing you better. Which is, I suppose, why many would counsel that you discuss any issues further with a priest who is responsible for helping you to prepare for marriage, anyway.
Old May 24, '08, 5:40 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

Dear Brendan, basically you're the age my eldest son is and she's the age I am...both in a few months, anyway. Do your reservations come with the fear that you're thinking of marrying a woman old enough to be Mom? You obviously are fond and get on well, but my sons adore me to bits too. They have never tired of saying at odd moments, embracingly, with love in their eyes"I love you, Mum". I love my sons to bits too. I'm considered as looking years younger than my age and people seem drawn to me, but give me five to ten more years and I'll be a white haired old lady!

Friend, if you have reservations, as you say, they are more likely to grow than to recede as time passes.

As you have reservations, it will be less painful to admit them now rather than later, and a lot harder to break out of, in fact could ruin your lives, yours for many years longer. Two of my sons had reservations, both broke up, after a lot of mutual pain.

God grant you strength to do whatever you must.

Love, Trishie
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old May 25, '08, 2:12 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Brendan, the two failed marriages begun with reservations by my sons were my youngest two. The one your age, he was 'in love' with a woman who he later found had a daughter a year younger than him. I tried to say something gentle at the time but it just made him angry so I said no more. It ended as disaster for them both. The only good thing that came of this age-divergent relationship was 2 beautiful children whom he raised alone. My eldest son missed the boat because he was tied to an older woman. He's never recovered emotionally and doesn't date.

Brendan, I realise it isn't simple. You are possibly lonely and really want to love and be loved. You wouldn't wish to hurt this lovely lady and it would also be hard to face others admitting you might have been wrong, but surely they'd only be happy for whatever is best for you.

With the love of a mother I hope and pray life will be a joy for you. I pray with all the love with which I will greet you in heaven, that you will not marry while there are reservations in your heart. It is as unjust to her as to you if that occurs, and like one of my dearest friends who proposed (and then panicked with regret but did not withdraw for fear of causing hurt, nor will leave the marriage for the same reason) but is very aware of having made a mistake that will remain for the term of natural life.

Forgive my serious stories of lives ruined or spoiled but they are true and painfilled reasons to consider if you are being true to yourself and her by not making a marriage mistake. I love these people and lived through their pain and the consequences with them. Trishie. God grant you the deepest joy and happiness.
Thank You JESUS

Thank you Mother

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old May 26, '08, 3:23 am

The other problem is that I feel only comfortable with an orthodox catholic priest while she wants us to talk to a liberal minded friendly priest....she is very stubborn about these sort of things.....it is the same priest who makes it known that 'gays and lesbians' are welcome at every Mass....which gives me a belly ache. Did I mention she is extremely wealthy? I find more of a Catholic heart in some protestants...actually I would rather sleep under the old London bridge and beg for pennies, dreaming of the prospect of being a father and a husband to woman accepting of the Catholic faith and mother poverty.
Old May 26, '08, 4:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendankiwi View Post
The other problem is that I feel only comfortable with an orthodox catholic priest while she wants us to talk to a liberal minded friendly priest....she is very stubborn about these sort of things.....it is the same priest who makes it known that 'gays and lesbians' are welcome at every Mass....which gives me a belly ache. Did I mention she is extremely wealthy? I find more of a Catholic heart in some protestants...actually I would rather sleep under the old London bridge and beg for pennies, dreaming of the prospect of being a father and a husband to woman accepting of the Catholic faith and mother poverty.

Why are you marrying her? One of the roles a spouse plays is to help us get into heaven. Sure one way is by suffering which it looks like you're headed for.(Of course we are limited by this message board and I could be reading your post wrong) Another way is by mutual study , prayer and worship. That way is a bit nicer. You need to look at your relationship and figure out what you need and can gift her with.
Old May 26, '08, 5:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatuck View Post
Why are you marrying her?
Or more so, what in the world do you even see in her if you'd "rather sleep under the old London bridge" begging and longing for life lost?

The way you tell it, this almost sounds like an old fashioned arranged marriage or something.

It sounds (from what you are telling us) like you have some issues of your own to work out before jumping into any sort of marital commitment to another.
Old May 26, '08, 9:03 am

Quote:
If I'm reading this quote correctly. DO NOT marry her.

With these kind of reservations the marriage would likely be a disaster, if not invalid from the start.

Find an orthodox Catholic priest and discuss your issues with him.

God Bless, I'll say a prayer for you.
Old May 26, '08, 11:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
If this were just about the age difference, I would say that it wasn't necessarily an impediment to marriage. But what you are describing here is a situation where the age thing is among the least of your worries. Is she buying your affections? She provides a decent standard of living, and you provide affection and companionship in return? There is a saying that "anyone who marries for money ends up earning every penny." I'm sorry, but this sounds like a disaster in the making. Please find a good, orthodox priest to discuss this with. And if I get a vote, I vote "NO" do not marry this woman! May God bless you and help you in your journey.

Old May 26, '08, 12:00 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
The other problem is that I feel only comfortable with an orthodox catholic priest while she wants us to talk to a liberal minded friendly priest....she is very stubborn about these sort of things.....it is the same priest who makes it known that 'gays and lesbians' are welcome at every Mass
If she is "stubborn" as you say she doesn't care much about real catholicism, she won't help you.
Old May 26, '08, 3:19 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Brendan, you sound very unhappy regarding this possible marriage. Can she really love you if she doesn't respect your wishes and preferences, that she wishes you to betray your convictions? It wouldn't get better after marriage.
Thank You JESUS

Thank you Mother

Old May 26, '08, 7:20 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Did I mention she is extremely wealthy? I find more of a Catholic heart in some protestants...actually I would rather sleep under the old London bridge and beg for pennies, dreaming of the prospect of being a father and a husband to woman accepting of the Catholic faith and mother poverty.
Maybe you needed to hear yourself say this? (Or at least read your words typed out?)

Wealth comes and goes. I had a few buckets full of money that poor relationship and business decisions took off my hands. I was a miserable young man with a 6 figure bank account. Now I feel wealthy when I hit 4-figures (which only happens when direct deposit hits the day before checks I mailed clear!) and I am a far happier person. If you think money may be a motivation ask yourself this: when the money's gone, how would you feel?

If she were like my own 62 year old neighbor who has >$3K in investments in a 401 (K) and is now looking for work with no computer skills to speak of, how would you feel?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations