Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 29, '04, 6:39 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Incense during a funeral mass?

I am a catholic convert, and I have attended very few catholic funerals in my life. A friend of mine just attended her first, and is curious about the incense. I really do not know, off the top of my head, and she already has a clouded view of the Catholic faith.

So, what is the meaning of the incense during a funeral mass, over the casket? Is there any significance to this?

TIA
Old Nov 29, '04, 7:02 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Incense during a funeral mass?

Incense is always symbolic of our prayers rising to God. When a body is incensed not only are we praying for the one who once occupied that body, but we are also praying that the soul of this person will "rise to God" as the incense rises.

Deacon Ed
Old Nov 29, '04, 9:15 pm

Incense is also used as a sign of reverence, sanctification, and offering. So incensing the body is a way for the church to show it's respect for the person who is being sent on their way to the Lord and whose body will rise again on the last day. It's a sort of final giving over of self to God, assisted by the communion of saints. (In fact, the Litany of Saints used to be sung at this time as part of the final commendation - and STILL SHOULD BE!)
Old Nov 30, '04, 3:54 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian, Both Roman and Ruthenian Churches
Arrow Re: Incense during a funeral mass?

Both of the prior replies are quite correct.

Incense also has the practical quality of being able to mask the body odor of a large chunk of humanity crammed into a Catedral back in the Middle Ages...
Old Dec 1, '04, 9:27 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4life
I am a catholic convert, and I have attended very few catholic funerals in my life. A friend of mine just attended her first, and is curious about the incense. I really do not know, off the top of my head, and she already has a clouded view of the Catholic faith.

So, what is the meaning of the incense during a funeral mass, over the casket? Is there any significance to this?

TIA

It sounds like your friend would want quotes from the bible as to why Catholics use incense in worship. Although I do not think the Church needs to show everything that we do is in the Bible, simply because our Church did not come from the Bible - the Bible came from our Church, I will offer a few great Bible verses that will make sense for the use of incense at a funeral.

And by the way, I am sorry for your loss and will be praying for you and your family.

Exodus 30:37 - And the incense which you shall make according to its composition, you shall not make for yourselves; it shall be for you holy to the LORD.

Exodus 31:11 - and the anointing oil and the fragrant incense for the holy place. According to all that I have commanded you they shall do."

1 Kings 3:3 - Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of David his father; only, he sacrificed and burnt incense at the high places.

Revelation 8:2-4 2 Then I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them. 3 And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God.

and countless other Scripture verses
Old Dec 1, '04, 1:45 pm
Forum Master

Don't forget Rev. 8:3-5

Quote:
And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne. and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the sants from the hand of the angles before God.
They use incense in heaven!
Old Dec 1, '04, 2:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscum
Both of the prior replies are quite correct.

Incense also has the practical quality of being able to mask the body odor of a large chunk of humanity crammed into a Catedral back in the Middle Ages...
sometimes less is more..............pee-U
Old Dec 2, '04, 5:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you all so much for the replies...I will be sure to mention those specific scriptures. This is good to know . Blessings to you!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments