Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 28, '08, 5:10 pm

Religion: Christian
Question question about guardian angels

HI,
I am new here. Here is my situation. I have a Guardian Angel that I talk to all the time kind of like a companion (I have almost all of my life). He has a name and I know what he looks like because I dream about him as well. When talking to some Catholics they assured me that this was quite normal for Guardian Angels to do. However today I went to a Christian Counselor who is a Protestant about some sprititual issues. Well when I told her how I talk to my Guardian Angel she first asked me if I was on drugs, I told her HECK NO!!!!!! NO ONE has ever said that to me when I told them about my Guardian Angel. She told me that my Guardian Angel may not be an angel but rather a Demon. Okay that sorta ticked me off because he is the closes to me more than anyone has ever been here and he helps me in my spritual walk and all. I tried to defend him to her but she looked at me as if I was crazy. PLEASE tell me what your thoughts are about how I am so close to my Guardian Angel and why would she react in that manner.
Thank you kindly in advance for your advice on this matter!

Old May 28, '08, 5:34 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: question about guardian angels

I've heard before warnings about seeking out your angel's name as the answer you might get isn't angelic, but demonic, in origin.

I think the person in question (though perhaps not in the most diplomatic way) was asking you about your level of discernment. So many of us have little skills or talent in the area of discerning spirits that we are easily misled- particularly when actively seeking a relationship with spirits.

Other than that, my only other thought is to seek out the spiritual council of Catholic sources if you're Catholic (your profile doesn't specify). Catholic and non-Catholic concepts of angels (and other things) will vary.
Old May 28, '08, 5:43 pm

Hi Cari,

Thank you for your reply on this matter. I know that my angel (thomas) is always trying to help me with my spritual walk and is always trying to get me to follow the Lords Will. I read that some are lucky enought to be able to talk and hear their angel all the time like I do. You are right, perhaps I need to check into a Catholic Counselor. I am Christian but my entire (paternal side) family is VERY Catholic so perhaps this is why the Lord has bestowed this gift of hearing him all time. I am not quite sure.

Thank you so much sister!
Old May 28, '08, 5:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

I generally advise against naming one's guardian angel, but I won't deny it's possible an angel might reveal his name to you. I just don't recommend seeking out the name or naming him yourself. I know someone personally that had an incredible encounter with his guardian angel which you can read about here if you'd like:

In My Angel's Lap

It is possible for a demon to masquerade as an angel of light. I think the Christian Counselor had your best interests at heart, maybe just not the best way of putting it.

I would evaluate the fruits in this situation. A person experiencing demonization will generally be unhappy, maybe even depressed. They may be in bondage to sin and avoid praying and going to Church. They may have uncanny "bad luck" in that bad things just seem to happen to them all the time. They live with fear and anxiety rather than peace and joy.

If instead, you feel at peace, you stay in sanctifying grace most of the time, go to Confession if you fall, keep the precepts of the Church, and pray regularly, I'd say it's likely NOT demonic. Demons tend to work to separate us from God by keeping us in sin, in fear, and away from the sacraments.
Old May 28, '08, 8:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
I've heard before warnings about seeking out your angel's name as the answer you might get isn't angelic, but demonic, in origin.

I think the person in question (though perhaps not in the most diplomatic way) was asking you about your level of discernment. So many of us have little skills or talent in the area of discerning spirits that we are easily misled- particularly when actively seeking a relationship with spirits.

Other than that, my only other thought is to seek out the spiritual council of Catholic sources if you're Catholic (your profile doesn't specify). Catholic and non-Catholic concepts of angels (and other things) will vary.
Cari's advice is very good. However, it is also true that many great Saints had a relationship with their Guardian Angel such as you do.

I would love to have such a relationship with my Angel, but I have not been granted this grace. However, I do know his name. I did not name him and he did not tell me. About 30 or so years ago, while I was in prayer, in my heart I heard our Lord tell me his name.

His name is Theodore, and at the time, I did not know the meaning of the name. The only Theodore I knew was one of the Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon and Theodore). I thought it was awfully strange for my Angel to have a chipmunk's name, so I looked up the meaning of the name. I found out that "Theodore" means:

Gift of God

God is so very, very good.

Old May 29, '08, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaRose View Post
Cari's advice is very good. However, it is also true that many great Saints had a relationship with their Guardian Angel such as you do.

I would love to have such a relationship with my Angel, but I have not been granted this grace. However, I do know his name. I did not name him and he did not tell me. About 30 or so years ago, while I was in prayer, in my heart I heard our Lord tell me his name.

His name is Theodore, and at the time, I did not know the meaning of the name. The only Theodore I knew was one of the Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon and Theodore). I thought it was awfully strange for my Angel to have a chipmunk's name, so I looked up the meaning of the name. I found out that "Theodore" means:

Gift of God

God is so very, very good.

Wow, I do feel honored that Jesus has bestowed my GA for me. I wonder if that is why I am so very close to my GA. He has treated me much better than any man I have been with. I wonder if this is why I have never been married?.....
Old May 29, '08, 10:44 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Next time, if you talk to your Guardian Angel, ask the Guardian Angel if it was right for you to get upset at your counselor. I am interested in 2 things: (1) what your Guardian Angel answers and (2) what advice from the angel gives you.
Old May 29, '08, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Next time, if you talk to your Guardian Angel, ask the Guardian Angel if it was right for you to get upset at your counselor. I am interested in 2 things: (1) what your Guardian Angel answers and (2) what advice from the angel gives you.
My angel told me it was NOT right for me to get upset with her. Because she might not understand GA's. He said that I need to pray about this and when I do see her again just dont bring him up so that no one gets upset. Keep praying to the Lord
Old May 29, '08, 11:40 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings74 View Post
My angel told me it was NOT right for me to get upset with her. Because she might not understand GA's. He said that I need to pray about this and when I do see her again just dont bring him up so that no one gets upset. Keep praying to the Lord

To talk to your guardian angel is one thing, to hear him is another.
I would recommend talking to a priest about those voices you hear.
Old May 29, '08, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessi View Post
I am confussed because it was told me that it is quite normal to communicate with the GA. I have read stories on others who talk to their GA and the GA talks back. I only hear one voice of my GA that is it.
Old May 29, '08, 5:44 pm

Here is some info that I found on those who have conversations with their GA:

Pius XI confided to a group of visitors that every day, morning and evening, he prayed to his guardian angel. He added that, as the day went by, he used [to] often renew this prayer, especially when things became difficult, as often happens in a pope's work.
'It is good for us to say this, also out of gratitude,' Pius XI went on. 'We have always seen ourselves as wonderfully helped by our guardian angel. Very often, we feel that he is here, close by, ready to help us.' Recalling what St. Bernard said about our duty to respect, love and trust our guardian angels -- exhortations the Church has included in the liturgy -- Pius XI disclosed that as a young man he had the good fortune to take note of this advice; it made a deep impression on him. As his devotion to his guardian angel developed, 'it played a part in whatever good the pope has done throughout his life.' (p. 14)

Pius XII
We have two texts from Pius XII on the angels -- a brief, but important, mention in an encyclical, and an address given a few days before his death. Humanae generis, which was issued during the Holy Year, 1950, warned bishops about certain errors which threatened to undermine the foundations of Catholic doctrine. Among these mistaken opinions, Pius XII, in 1950, denounced the views of those theologians who question whether 'the angels are personal beings.'
Pius XII's address, on 3 October 1958 to several hundred American tourists, is a real jewel of pastoral theology... Drawing on sacred scripture, the Fathers and the liturgy, the pope described the part the guardian angels played in their lives:
Did Christ not say, speaking to little children, who were so loved by his pure and loving heart: 'Their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven' (Mt 18:10). When children become adults, do their guardian angels abandon them? Not at all.
The hymn at first vespers in yesterday's liturgy told us, 'Let us sing to the guardian angels of men, heavenly companions, given by the Father to our frail nature, lest we succumb to the enemies who threaten us.' This same thinking is to be found time and time again in the writings of the Fathers of the Church.
Everyone, no matter how humble he may be, has angels to watch over him. They are heavenly, pure and splendid, and yet they have been given us to keep us company on our way: they have been given the task of keeping careful watch over you so that you do not become separated from Christ, their Lord.
And not only do they want to protect you from the dangers which waylay you throughout your journey: they are actually by your side, helping your souls as you strive to go ever higher in your union with God through Christ.
Whereas we are inclined sometimes to limit the role of the guardian angels to that of defending and protecting us, especially as regards the material side of things, Pius XII goes much further, in keeping with all Christian tradition: our guardian angel, he says actually promotes our spiritual improvement and helps develop our intimacy with God. He is a teacher of asceticism and mysticism, a guide who will lead us right to the summit.
Pius XII ends his address by exhorting the faithful to be on familiar terms, here and now, with their invisible travelling companions.
We do not want to take our leave of you...without exhorting you to awaken, to revive, your sense of the invisible world which is all around us -- because we look not to the things which are seen but the things that are unseen (2 Cor 4:18) -- and to have a certain familiarly with the angels, who are forever solicitous for your salvation and your sanctification. If God wishes, you will spend a happy eternity with the angels: get to know them here, from now on. (pp. 16-17)

John XXIII
John XXIII was another pope who had a deep devotion to his guardian angel. One might say he practized to perfection the advice of his predecessor gave those overseas visitors: 'Have a certain familiarity with the angels.' John XXIII's faith in the active and loving presence of his angel was such that, like Pius XI, what was invisible became in a way visible to the eyes of his faith. (p. 18)
John XXIII believed in the existence of angels and he was happy to use opportunities to remind people of this reassuring truth.... He liked to tell everyone about them, especially parents. Parents, he said, should teach their children that they are never alone, that they have an angel at their side, and show them how to have a trusting conversation with this angel. 'Your guardian angel is a good adviser; he intercedes near God, on our behalf; he helps us in our needs; he protects us from dangers and accidents. The pope would like the faithful to feel the wonderful help the angels give. (pp. 18-19)
John XXIII was so convinced that angels were by our side that, when he looked at the crowd of pilgrims and tourists in St. Peter's Square on a Sunday, there to say the Angelus and receive the pope's blessing, he used also [to] think of the equally numerous crowd of invisible guardian angels also present in the same square. The same thing was true of St. Francis de Sales, a saint beloved of John XXIII: before starting to preach he liked to look round at the people, to greet their guardian angels, invisibly present. (pp. 19-20)

St. Francis de Sales and St. Paul of the Cross
When he was going up into the pulpit, St. Francis de Sales used [to] pause to look around at the people present: when doing so he was greeting their guardian angels, asking them to make his listeners well-disposed to him. St. Paul of the Cross, the founder of the Passionists, had the same custom. (p. 67)

Blessed Padre Pio
'When you are in need of my prayer, address my guardian angel,' [Blessed] Padre Pio used to say to his friends....
A busload of pilgrims en route to San Giovanni Rotondo, where Padre Pio lived, was caught at night in a violent storm in the Apennines mountains. After the first few moments of panic -- there was a lot of lightning -- the pilgrims recalled Padre Pio and prayed to his angel. They came through unharmed. The following day, before they had a chance to tell him about their journey, Padre Pio forestalled them, smiling: 'Well, my children, last night you woke me up and I had to pray for you...' The angel guardian had faithfully carried out his mission, bringing to the monastery the SOS sent out from the mountains some miles away. (p. 68)

A Mother's Influence
A mother cannot always directly influence a son or daughter whose faith of moral conduct is at risk, but at any time of the day or night she can use the invisible communication network of the guardian angels. An angel, mobilized by his mother, can suddenly remind a young man of some resolution or promise. And this reminder can be of decisive importance. Sometimes it takes very little to influence as indecisive will. The guardian angels are there precisely to serve men as they make their way towards God. (p. 68)

A Friend during Loneliness and Insecurity
Devotion to the angels would seem to be particularly suitable for dealing with one difficulty which is very common nowadays -- the feeling of loneliness and insecurity.
If it is true that Christian faith grows when it is practized in elites, it is also true that it diminishes in huge masses. The number of committed Christians seems to go down. On the other hand, minority groups of Christians can feel isolated and threatened and this drains them of energy. People can feel isolated even in the context of Christian homes and religious communities: 'I feel as if I am on my own...I have no support...I have to swim against the current...' An attitude of bowing down before the world prevents people from asserting themselves spiritually. Not to mention those men and women who over the years live alone in their fidelity to God, without their encouragement of friends, the stimulus of meeting supportive people....
But think of the light and support and joy these men and women would have if they realized the continuous presence of their angel at their side. It is not a matter of their becoming intellectually aware of angels, as happens when someone listens to a theoretical paper on angels: it is a vivid, concrete awareness you have when you are deep in conversation with a very close friend.
Monsignor Jean Calvet, when he was dean of the faculty of arts at the Institut Catholique in Paris, told of how he was reminded of the existence of the guardian angels by the example of a farmworker. 'I was taking a walk down a shady country road when I came across an old lady. She was very bent-over and using a stick.
"Good day to you, Catinelle."
She half straightened up and replied, "And to you, father and your company."
"How's that? I am on my own; where's my company?"
She straightened up completely; I could see her heavily lined face, and her eyes, still beautiful. She said to me, very seriously, "and your angel guardian, where did you leave him?"
"Thank you, gran. I was forgetting my guardian angel. Thanks for reminding me."
This little episode led Monsignor Calvet to thinking and prayer much more about the angels: 'I have arranged a little corner my oratory for my guardian angel.' (p. 102)
OUR GUARDIAN ANGELS by Rev. Alfred Boeddeker, O.F.M. St. Thomas represents the whole physical world as entrusted by God to the keeping of the angels: stars, nations, man. An all- pervading principle governs the theology of the spirit ministry, namely, that every inferior thing in creation is under the tutelage of a higher thing. Golden threads of spirit power with coarser sinews of natural energy hold the universe together. The physical laws remain and are active. For the Creator governs the material universe according to these, but He uses angels as intermediators and executors of his plan. God's omnipresent vigilance over the universe remains; He merely multiplies his created power in the angels' created activities. EACH ANGEL DISTINCT So by a natural law, each human being at conception is under the tutelage of a divinely chosen guardian angel. By God's will, each person's angel is distinct from every other and has complete knowledge of his charge, of you, and your needs. In coming on this dreary earth, the angel does not stop gazing on God's unveiled presence; rather, the human enters the sphere of the angel's activity like a planet kept within the orbit of the sun. Our knowledge of the angels is based on Revelation, on the Old and New Testaments, Tradition and the Church's doctrine from the beginning. Lateran Council IV (1215) and Vatican Council I (1869) declared that "simultaneously at the beginning of time. God created from nothing both the spiritual and corporal creation, i.e. angelic and mundane." Therefore, like his predecessors, a modern theologian, Karl Rahner (Encyclopedia of Theology) firmly holds that the "existence of the angels cannot be disputed by a sincere Christian. They are mere creatures and like man, they are created for a supernatural goal. Their saving grace came from Christ, who is their Head too, and round the Word they form a true society of persons. They are a part of the Christian Message." Through Christ, they give praise to the Father (Mass Preface). All recent popes have confirmed and promoted the Church's constant faith in the angels. They themselves, lived in close, friendly, brotherly contact with them. Here are some of their words and sentiments: <Pope Pius XI:> "I feel that he is here, close by, ready to help me. " To visitors: "every day, morning and evening, pray to your guardian angel, especially in difficulties." To his successor (Pope Pius XII): "In speaking with someone who is closed to your argument, go to your guardian angel and recommend the matter to him. Ask him to take it up with the guardian angel of the person you have to see. Once the two angels establish an understanding, the conversation with the visitor will be much easier." <Pope Pius XII:> "We must unite with the holy angels; with them we must become one great strong family in view of the times that are approaching us!" He denounced (Encyclical <Humani Generis,> 1950) theologians who questioned whether the angels were persons or reduced them to myths or vague ethereal beings. To American tourists (1958): "There exists another, an invisible world, real as our own, it is all around us; it is peopled with angels; they travel with you and play a part in your lives. As Christ said of children that 'their angels always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven' (Mt. 18:10), so when children become adults, their guardian angels do not abandon them, but remain at their sides." <Pope John XXIII> had a deep devotion and familiarity with the angels. With simplicity and naturalness, he said, "rely on your guardian angels, the lovable heralds of our will. May the angels, present in every home, speak of our desire to bring about social concord, good morals, the practice of charity, peace among nations." To parents: "Teach the children that they are never alone, that an angel is at their side. Show them how to have a trusting conversation with the angel, who is a good advisor and intercedes for you and helps you in your needs." It is consoling to feel this special guardian near us; he promotes our intimacy with God as a teacher of asceticism and mysticism and guide to the summit.
Old May 29, '08, 5:51 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessi View Post
Tessi's advice here is sound; anyone experiencing visions or locutions should get the advice of a priest or spiritual director.

Praying to your guardian angel is one thing; participating in a two way conversation is a whole other ball of wax. I did not get the impression that's what you meant in your initial post. Now I understand why your counselor reacted the way she did.
Old May 29, '08, 6:22 pm

Maybe I am not being too clear here. BUt my GA is a companion like described in the texted above. I have done other research and it explains that what I am going through is completely normal. I also read that God does not want us to be lonely or insecure and that is another reason he bestows a GA with us. So i think that is why God gave me my GA as well. Just he and I talk through thoughts. I hope this clears this up. please read the following text:
https://www.claretiantapeministry.or...ardian%20Angel
Please let me know:
Old May 29, '08, 7:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwings74 View Post
I am confussed because it was told me that it is quite normal to communicate with the GA. I have read stories on others who talk to their GA and the GA talks back. I only hear one voice of my GA that is it.
Hi Angelwings,

I read the link you posted but didn't see anything about ongoing conversations with a guardian angel. You can communicate with your guardian angel through prayer, but I strongly suggest, as Tessi did, that you get guidance from a priest on this. Generally angels do not communicate with us verbally, but they can inspire and guide us by placing good thoughts in our heads (which is the opposite of what demons do; demons instead can place temptations in our heads.)

My personal reaction to your having two-way audible conversations is one of wariness; and I am concerned it could be a demonic deception. However, I am not qualified to make that call. I would recommend asking a priest, or you can get the opinion of Bro. Ignatius over on his Spiritual Warfare Q&A. Bro. Ignatius is an experienced deliverance counselor and spiritual director and will have some sound advice for you.

Spiritual Warfare Q & A Forum
Old May 29, '08, 7:55 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

angelwings, we all have Guardian Angel (GA) and the GA is not necessary for GA to appear to us in order to say "we are not alone".

How would you do if one day you would not see GA again until you are in Heaven?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality