Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 29, '08, 5:16 pm
iaskquestions iaskquestions is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 25, 2007
Posts: 678
Religion: Catholic
Default Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

I want to know the Catholic position on this.

Last week, I did my confession and received the Eucharist on Sunday. However, today I fell into the sin of masturbation. I have been addicted to masturbation since many years. This time, after confession, I made it a point to resist all evil thoughts as long as I could and I was quite successful, given the fact that I normally used to masturbate once in 2 or 3 days.

But today, it was as though by body (not my mind) was unable to restrain itself from the act. I tried telling myself that it was wrong, but since I have formed this habit of masturbating twice or thrice a week, it felt as though my body could "no longer hold it".

The physical urge (not the mental) was so much that I finally thought that I will have to masturbate because my body has become "accustomed" to it. I felt like a drug addict whose body was demanding that drug after abstaining from it for quite a reasonable time.

Given this background, I want to know whether this sin that I have commited is mortal or not. May I receive the Eucharist this Sunday?
  #2  
Old May 29, '08, 5:23 pm
Mystic of God Mystic of God is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 27, 2007
Posts: 526
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaskquestions View Post
I want to know the Catholic position on this.

Last week, I did my confession and received the Eucharist on Sunday. However, today I fell into the sin of masturbation. I have been addicted to masturbation since many years. This time, after confession, I made it a point to resist all evil thoughts as long as I could and I was quite successful, given the fact that I normally used to masturbate once in 2 or 3 days.

But today, it was as though by body (not my mind) was unable to restrain itself from the act. I tried telling myself that it was wrong, but since I have formed this habit of masturbating twice or thrice a week, it felt as though my body could "no longer hold it".

The physical urge (not the mental) was so much that I finally thought that I will have to masturbate because my body has become "accustomed" to it. I felt like a drug addict whose body was demanding that drug after abstaining from it for quite a reasonable time.

Given this background, I want to know whether this sin that I have commited is mortal or not. May I receive the Eucharist this Sunday?
Don't ask here. Ask your confessor. Or one of the apologists. I would guess that you could receive communion, but that it's kind of a tight squeeze. Habit is mentioned in the Catechism as something that could decrease culpability. What I would do is say an act of contrition, go to communion, and get to confession as soon as possible. But that is me, and what I would do (assuming it really is habit) and I can't know the circumstances. Anyways, the prudent thing to do is say an act of contrition, not recieve communion, and go to confession.
__________________
St Michael the archangel, defend us in battle

RCIA class of 2007
  #3  
Old May 29, '08, 5:36 pm
Caesar517 Caesar517 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: March 21, 2008
Posts: 2,581
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

There are three conditions for a sin to me a mortal sin:

1) The object must constitute grave matter

2) Full knowledge that the act is sinful

3) Committed with deliberate consent of the will

It sounds to me like you have committed a mortal sin. You should refrain from recieving the Eucharist untill you have been to confession.

Being addicted to masturbation is very much like being addicted to drugs. It can be very difficult to break this habit. Your body doesn't actually need to masturbate as a "release."

I know this can be difficult from personal experience. I was addicted to masturbation and pornography for five years.
For me, the urges generally went away after a month without it. Saying the rosary daily really helped me. Mary can really help.
  #4  
Old May 29, '08, 7:47 pm
teachccd teachccd is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2004
Posts: 4,235
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

The Catechism is very clear that while masturbation is grave matter it is not always a mortal sin. There are some mitigating circumstances that reduce culpability and the compulsion that you describe could be one of them. No one here on this forum can say whether or not you committed a mortal sin. Only you and your confessor can discern this in the confessional. If you are uncertain if you comitted a mortal sin (chances are that you may not have) but it would be my advice to withhold the Eucharist until you see a priest in the confessional. Those times when I do not receive for the same reasons make me REALLY realize how much I love the Eucharist and would do anything to keep me from missing it again. BUT we are human, we are weak, and we fail at times. Do not get discouraged. This is a VERY difficult habit and it is not overcome overnight. Just move in the right direction with prayer, reconciliation and the Eucharist. After many years I still am not perfect in this area but I have come a long way from where I was. God knows your heart and there is no one on this earth powerful enough to have God stop loving them. He made you and He died for you.................God Bless.........teachccd
__________________
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
  #5  
Old May 30, '08, 6:04 am
Flopfoot Flopfoot is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 19, 2005
Posts: 1,600
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
The Catechism is very clear that while masturbation is grave matter it is not always a mortal sin. There are some mitigating circumstances that reduce culpability and the compulsion that you describe could be one of them. No one here on this forum can say whether or not you committed a mortal sin. Only you and your confessor can discern this in the confessional. If you are uncertain if you comitted a mortal sin (chances are that you may not have) but it would be my advice to withhold the Eucharist until you see a priest in the confessional.
^ Second this. Very good and straightforward explanation. God bless.
  #6  
Old May 30, '08, 4:00 pm
Aquinas74 Aquinas74 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 25, 2008
Posts: 148
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaskquestions View Post
I want to know the Catholic position on this.

Last week, I did my confession and received the Eucharist on Sunday. However, today I fell into the sin of masturbation. I have been addicted to masturbation since many years. This time, after confession, I made it a point to resist all evil thoughts as long as I could and I was quite successful, given the fact that I normally used to masturbate once in 2 or 3 days.

But today, it was as though by body (not my mind) was unable to restrain itself from the act. I tried telling myself that it was wrong, but since I have formed this habit of masturbating twice or thrice a week, it felt as though my body could "no longer hold it".

The physical urge (not the mental) was so much that I finally thought that I will have to masturbate because my body has become "accustomed" to it. I felt like a drug addict whose body was demanding that drug after abstaining from it for quite a reasonable time.

Given this background, I want to know whether this sin that I have commited is mortal or not. May I receive the Eucharist this Sunday?
First off may God Bless you in your fight against impurity. This is a war that many of us I imagine have waged. One thing that has always helped me is recitation of the Three Hail Mary;s in the morning and at night. You consecrate yourself, body and senses to the Blessed Mother and the Holy Trinity. It works, I have noticed that lust has diminished and I have custody of mine eyes while I have been under the protection of our blessed mother. Also when you are undergoing these temptations, call on the name of St. Michael and of course our Lord. Never forget that Christ is with you always my friend. I will offer up my mass intention for you tomorrow.

Here is a website with the three Hail Mary's

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2983/3HailMary.html
__________________
"Clearly the person who accepts the Church as an infallible guide will believe whatever the Church teaches." St. Thomas Aquinas

Last edited by Aquinas74; May 30, '08 at 4:20 pm.
  #7  
Old May 30, '08, 6:08 pm
teachccd teachccd is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2004
Posts: 4,235
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopfoot View Post
^ Second this. Very good and straightforward explanation. God bless.
Thank you....
__________________
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
  #8  
Old May 30, '08, 7:12 pm
Traddy Traddy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 18, 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

I read Surrender and Arms of Love by Carmen Marcoux.

I stopped.

Right there.

It was over after years of doing it.

It's amazing.
  #9  
Old May 31, '08, 7:16 am
PePPaR PePPaR is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2008
Posts: 72
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

How can masturbation possibly be a mortal sin...
  #10  
Old May 31, '08, 7:29 am
Harmony1988 Harmony1988 is offline
Banned
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: November 14, 2007
Posts: 1,164
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PePPaR View Post
How can masturbation possibly be a mortal sin...
Well, it depends.

It's not always one, it has to be understood to be a grave matter by the individual and also to fully consent to doing it whilst knowing it's a grave matter.

It's a sin in general because masturbation reduces sex into something purely self-gratifiying. Sex is meant to be a union of a man and a woman who give themselves to each other completely and be open to life through sex.

Usually, masturbation is in line with lust. Jesus talked about lust and how it is committing adultery.
  #11  
Old May 31, '08, 7:47 am
christcnection1 christcnection1 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 8, 2006
Posts: 1,066
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

I'm glad our Lord didn't say...

"and if your (blank) causes you to sin, cut it off."

May God's grace and mercy in be with you in fighting this off! Lust of this kind is very difficult to defeat, but if you keep getting back up after you fall, and refuse to get discouraged, your chances of success are much better.

The longer you go without doing it, the easier it will eventually become. The physical urge will not be as strong, and mentally, it will become normal to not dwell about inordinate sexual acts.

Someone mentioned the Rosary. That's a great weapon. You have many at your disposal.

It's probably a good exercise to determine what things trigger the urges, and what things you can do to resist the temptation. In addition to having a Confessor and going to Confession, it's probably good to confide in brothers in Christ who can help keep you accountable.

This is generally every man's battle. Eternity is at stake!

When you are free from this, you are free indeed!

Blessings,

JB
__________________
CURRENTLY ATHEIST--> EVANGELICAL -->HOME
Tiber Swim Team ' 05
and HLS Club



"Prayer is the best weapon we possess, the key that opens the heart of God."—St. Pio


Check out my supernatural conversion story
  #12  
Old Jun 2, '08, 1:55 pm
butterfly_kisse butterfly_kisse is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2008
Posts: 4
Religion: baptist
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

I have never understood why masturbation is a sin. I would think masturbation would be better than being promiscuous. I read an article about this on another site about youth and sexual temptation. It said as long as there are no impure thoughts or pornography that it wasn't wrong....Also, I read someone's post about how the male's body doesn't have to have this "release." I am a nursing major, and actually it gets quite painful for males if they don't. Don't mean to be too blunt, but I am speaking of fact on this one....
  #13  
Old Jun 2, '08, 9:54 pm
christcnection1 christcnection1 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 8, 2006
Posts: 1,066
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_kisse View Post
I have never understood why masturbation is a sin. I would think masturbation would be better than being promiscuous. I read an article about this on another site about youth and sexual temptation. It said as long as there are no impure thoughts or pornography that it wasn't wrong....Also, I read someone's post about how the male's body doesn't have to have this "release." I am a nursing major, and actually it gets quite painful for males if they don't. Don't mean to be too blunt, but I am speaking of fact on this one....
It's nearly impossible for a man to "masturbate" without thinking lustfully.

Just like any part of the body, if you do not exercise it (both the mind and the muscle), it will become a weaker force.

Let me also be a little blunt for you. These things were once a huge problem for me - far worse than my drug addictions. It was a painful fight, but over time, God granted me the grace to overcome this. Today my mind and body does not struggle with this, and I am living in true freedom and victory.

Depending on the circumstances, masturbation may or may not be mortal sin. But without a doubt it's sin and it's displeasing to the Lord. If you believe otherwise, unfortunately you have been giving false information on the topic. Now you know.

If the body needs to release, it can do it while at rest without having any thoughts of sex. This is natural and there is no sin attached.
__________________
CURRENTLY ATHEIST--> EVANGELICAL -->HOME
Tiber Swim Team ' 05
and HLS Club



"Prayer is the best weapon we possess, the key that opens the heart of God."—St. Pio


Check out my supernatural conversion story
  #14  
Old Jun 3, '08, 2:39 pm
wjp984 wjp984 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 22, 2006
Posts: 2,237
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

I personally do not think you have to stop receiving communion for this sin if it is habitual as long as you plan on confessing it some time in the future. However, I also think that not receiving communion is probably one of the hardest things to do. I mean everyone probably wonders what this person did which is causing him not to receive communion. I mean, although it's not like I obsess over it but I wonder myself when I see that situation so I know others probaby wonder about the same thing so it's very embarrassing. If you have enough will power to not let that bother you then that is a wonderful thing.
  #15  
Old Jun 3, '08, 3:16 pm
Aquinas74 Aquinas74 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 25, 2008
Posts: 148
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is masturbation ALWAYS a mortal sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjp984 View Post
I personally do not think you have to stop receiving communion for this sin if it is habitual as long as you plan on confessing it some time in the future. However, I also think that not receiving communion is probably one of the hardest things to do. I mean everyone probably wonders what this person did which is causing him not to receive communion. I mean, although it's not like I obsess over it but I wonder myself when I see that situation so I know others probaby wonder about the same thing so it's very embarrassing. If you have enough will power to not let that bother you then that is a wonderful thing.
If you are in a state of Mortal Sin and receiving Communion then you are profaning the Sacred Body and blood of Christ. Masturbation with full knowledge of it is a grave and mortal sin. This is not something to be done lightly. You should consult your confessor and take it up with him. Don't worry what other people may think, what is most important is not injuring your relationship with Christ. I say all these things with charity and wish you peace.
__________________
"Clearly the person who accepts the Church as an infallible guide will believe whatever the Church teaches." St. Thomas Aquinas
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does scripture discourage praying for those in mortal sin? rap Sacred Scripture 10 Aug 17, '08 1:46 pm
Mortal vs. Venial Sin joyfulseraph Apologetics 8 May 21, '08 10:46 pm
Mortal sin and Church authority erbo Apologetics 6 Feb 24, '08 2:22 pm
Teaching Children about Mortal Sin - how? Elzee Apologetics 5 Jan 30, '08 12:02 pm



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8455Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3735Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3318Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3282Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3223Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3109For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: RevDrJBTDDPhD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.