Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 1, '08, 7:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Need hymn suggestions for funeral mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgee View Post
Thank you very much for the kind suggestions. I've been doing a bit of research for the past few hours and here is what I have so far.

Mother in law wants nothing "dirgy" so that eliminates all of the beautiful minor key adagios!!!!

Intro
Praise to the Lord the Almighty

Communion
Rejoice the Lord is King (?)
The King of Love my Shepherd is (?)
Soul of My Savior (thanks NPC)

Meditation
Be Thou My Vision
What Wondrous Love is This

Recessional
It is Well With My Soul (may be too Southern)
Not sure yet

Thanks

Ok, i've been playing for catholic funeral masses for years, so here's what I suggest:

Entrance Song: I Know That My Redeemer Lives

Offertory Song: The King of Love My Shepherd Is

Communion: On Eagle's Wings

Song of Farewell: May the Angels

Closing Song: Precious Lord, Take My Hand
St. John Bosco, Pray for Us!
St. Peter & St. Paul, Pray for Us!
All Holy Men and Women, Pray for Us!

In Nomine Patris, et Filli, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old Jun 2, '08, 7:11 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

The first liturgy I ever planned was my mother's funeral Mass. She died during the Christmas season, but, the funeal occurred on the Monday after the Baptism of the Lord. This is what I chose for her:

Entrance:
I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

Psalm: The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Preparation: Ave Maria (this was sung at her wedding in 1965 and it was something that she requested for her funeral (she died of ovarian cancer)

Communion: We Have Been Told

Recessional: Sing With All the Saints in Glory

When my beloved grandmother died two years ago, her funeral Mass (which I also planned) was on the Thursday before Holy Week:

Entrance: Attende Domine

Psalm: My shepherd is the Lord, nothing indeed shall I want (her request).

Gospel Acclamation: Praise and honor to you O Lord, Jesus Christ (setting from the Worship III hymnal--sounds Gregorian and has a matching Kyrie)

Preparation: What Wondrous Love is This

Communion: We Have Been Told

Commendation: In Paradiseum

Recessional: Salve Regina (in Latin--Grandma had a great devotion to the blessed Mother)

Other good ones to use:

Entrance:
Jesus Christ is Risen Today (used for my maternal grandmother)
How Firm a Foundation (might be good for your grandfather)

Preparation:
Jerusalem, My Happy Home (already suggested)

Communion:
Panis Angelicus (staple down here)
Alleluia, Sing to Jesus

Recessional:
Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
God, We Praise You --both of these are variations of the Church's hymn of praise, Te Deum

Now, something else to consider, depending on how big the Church is, you could very well use the Litany of the Saints as the entrance hymn because the Church is asking for the saints to pray for your grandfather's soul. There is a precedent for this, as the prayer was used for the funeral of Pope John Paul II. Of course, when you have 115 cardinals, the papal household and the casket processing into St. Peter's Square, you're going to have a lot of saints in the mix. But, the normal litany isn't that long.
Old Jun 2, '08, 7:45 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

benedictgal - re Panis Angelicus at Communion.

Staple down in Texas?
Also a staple in the Midwest (Chicago) and in California.
Old Jun 2, '08, 7:50 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharina View Post
benedictgal - re Panis Angelicus at Communion.

Staple down in Texas?
Also a staple in the Midwest (Chicago) and in California.
It's a staple in Laredo for weddings and funerals.
Old Jun 2, '08, 8:23 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

It is Well With My Soul is a beautiful piece. The story behind it is tragic yet inspiring.

Precious Lord, Take my Hand is also good.

We also did "Eye Has Not Seen" for my son's funeral:

Eye has not seen
Ear has not heard
What God has ready for those who love Him.
Spirit of Love, come give us the mind of Jesus.
Teach us the wisdom of God.

(second verse)
Our lives are but a single breath
We flower and we fade
Yet all our days are in God's hands
So we return in love what love has made.

Mommy to Brianna, Zachary, Nathan, Gabriel, Cecilia, Isabella, and Joshua

http://gabrielanzalone.tributeforyou.com
Old Jun 2, '08, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzuspetals View Post
I have always loved On Eagle's Wings by Michael Joncas. They played it at my grandfather's funeral over 25 years ago and I am still moved by it when I hear it. It is a beautiful and perfect song for a funeral, IMO. Here is the refrain..

And He will raise you up on eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His hand.

May the good Lord grant you wife's grandfather eternal rest and may He truly anoint this celebration of his life. God bless!
thats the song i was trying to remember!! i absolutely love it! it was sung at at least one of my grandparent's funerals - if not both
--very appropriate

The church is my home...and the faith is my lifeline
Old Jun 2, '08, 9:39 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa09 View Post
thats the song i was trying to remember!! i absolutely love it! it was sung at at least one of my grandparent's funerals - if not both
--very appropriate
The music director at my paternal gramdmother's parish suggested Eagles Wings and I told her absolutely not. I told her that my grandmother's funeral Mass would have the best music possible and the SLJ certainly don't meet that standard. The song is too sacchrine sweet and, while the text is biblically based, Eagles' Wings just doesn't compare to the older, more solid hymns. I cringe everytime I hear that song performed at a funeral. Furthermore, it's not even a suitable song for Communion. With a plethora of good, solid traditional hymns, why settle for something like that?

Unfortunately, down here, this song is what many musicians offer fur funerals.
Old Jun 2, '08, 9:51 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

My condolences for your loss.
My grandfather died a couple years ago, and three hymns we sang there were Amazing Grace, Holy God we Praise Thy Name, and Ave Maria. I must have gotten my taste in hymns from him, those are a few of my favs too.
Old Jun 2, '08, 10:05 am

Well, I have always wanted my funeral mass to go something like this:

Entrance Song: Alleluia! Sing To Jesus!

RP: Psalm 23
Gospel Acclamation: Celtic Alleluia (http://www.ocp.org/songs/622)

Preparation of the Gifts: Ave Maria

Communion Hymn 1: Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
Communion Hymn 2: I Am the Bread of Life

Commendation: In Paradiseum

Sending Forth: Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee
Old Jun 2, '08, 10:15 am
Book Club Member

The Church he attended will actually go over this with you, the music director you already contacted will know the proper songs for a funeral liturgy.
We were able to use two of my Mother's favorite songs, one was How Great Thou Art and the other was the Ave Maria, sung during Holy Communion, thats all I remember.
Sorry for you loss, sounds like he had a long, wonderful life and now he finally gets to move on to ever lasting life. I will keep his soul and all of you in my prayers.
"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Jun 2, '08, 10:38 am

Religion: Protestant

That's true, but my wife prefers that we go in with our hymns already picked out to make things easier. Musicians are a great bunch ( I am one) but sometimes they will steer you in the direction of what they like and know well instead of playing something that might be new to them and require more rehearsal.

The folks on this board have been so helpful in helping us decide. I am grateful to everyone.
Old Jun 2, '08, 11:33 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

I like the hymns you picked. For that last one where you put "not sure yet" how about "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name"- good for everybody, easy to sing.
Old Jun 2, '08, 11:38 am

Quote:
Meditation
Be Thou My Vision
What Wondrous Love is This
I always forget about "What Wondrous Love is This", but I love it and think it would be beautiful at a funeral mass.
Old Jun 2, '08, 11:48 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
That's true, but my wife prefers that we go in with our hymns already picked out to make things easier. Musicians are a great bunch ( I am one) but sometimes they will steer you in the direction of what they like and know well instead of playing something that might be new to them and require more rehearsal.

The folks on this board have been so helpful in helping us decide. I am grateful to everyone.
Something else that you might want to consider is that the music should reflect how the Church understands death. When my stepgrandfather died, my aunt (dad's half-sister) thought that it should be a celebration of his life. I told her (she is a lapsed Catholic) that we do need to pray for the repose of his soul and ask God to grant him mercy. He died right before Lent. I had music picked out for his funeral, but, my aunt opted to go with all of that Glory and Praiee stuff which is really more fluff than substance.

As it turned out, my stepgrandfather's pastor turned the homily into something short of a canonization of the man (something you don't want to do, becasue not only does the Church frown on "eulogies", but, if you don't know the whole story, it's really bad). The funeral was not at all something prayerful nor solemn, and, the music certainly didn't help.

When my grandmother died (some six weeks later), my dad and I took charge of the whole thing. I emailed my hymn selections and readings to the pastor. Then, the parish music director called and suggested the same stuff used for my stepgrandfather. I told her "no". The music was too horizontal and didn't have any notion of the divine (vertical), at all. Given the fact that my grandmother died a day and a year after JP II (and that it was also the fifth week of Lent), we went for hymns that were reflective of the pentitental nature and were also imploring God's mercy on her. That is why Attende Domine was chosen, as well as What Wondrous Love Is This. For the sending forth, we chose Salve Regina (Hal Holy Queen) because, as I noted in my previous post, my grandmother had a great devotion fo the Blessed Mother. Interestingly enough, this hymn is sung for burials of clergy.

I planned my previous pastor's funeral Mass and after the recessional, as the prests were carrying the casket into the hearse, they sang Salve Regina. When we got to the cemetery, as his casket was being lowered, they took up the Salve Regina, once again.

Something else that is important is to look at the readings chosen for the funeral. It's good to match, if possible, the hymns to the readings selected. There are several reaidings from the OT, such as the one from Maccabees which talks about the importance of praying for the dead. Then there are several responsorial psalm options from which you can pick, as well as several options for the Epistle, Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel. The Gospel reading that I selected for my mom, stepgrandfather, gramdmother and former pastor came from John's account. It spoke of the "many mansions" in the Father's house.
Old Jun 2, '08, 11:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to CatholicNerd

Well, these are just my two cents and I might take a lot of flak for this, but I don't really think that a Requiem Mass is an appropriate occasion for hymn-singing. The departed has gone to see his Lord and Judge, and the Church's prescribed musical prayer for his soul should not be neglected in favor of "inspirational" hymns.

I realize, of course, that the GIRM gives Catholics a lot of leeway now and we aren't strictly bound to sing the propers of the Requiem Mass, but why omit the propers and make such a radical departure from Catholic tradition?

The common answer that I've heard is "the funeral Mass is just as much about the living as it is about the dead!" Well, that's true. That's one reason why the Church retained the chanting of the Dies Irae (yes, it's still permissible in the Ordinary Form). Why not include that in your grandfather's requiem Mass?
We pray for the children of God condemned to death by the unjust judgement of men: that the Lord our God would soften the hearts of those who seek their violent destruction, and rescue those who are being led forth to the slaughter, we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments