Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 26, '09, 3:52 am

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)
Default Re: When Should We Genuflect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat27 View Post
Do you genuflect even when you're not at Mass? i.e. when you're just in the Church to pray
Are you required to genuflect if you must get up for some reason and excuse yourself?
ie" during the offering or homily to take child to bathroom?
Old Dec 26, '09, 3:55 am

If you are in a new parish, and you can't find the parish's tabernacle, would you still genuflect upon entering?

WHY?

If we genuflect to adore God in the Blessed Sacrament, why are we adoring (worshipping) the altar if the Blessed Sacrament is not present?

Hoping for specific answer here. The earlier GIRM answer didn't mention this.
Old Dec 26, '09, 8:23 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

While this is an old thread, it is important to note that there are two other times when both celebrant and faithful should genuflect: during the Creed when we pray "by the power of the Holy Spirit....and became man (soon to be prayed incarnate of the Virgin Mary, or similar words)". While we bow at this portion of the Creed most of the time, during the Solemntiy of the Annunciation (March 25th) and the Nativity of the Lord (December 25th), we genuflect.
Old Dec 26, '09, 8:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

I understand that during the Sign of Peace that we don't genuflect, but can someone explain why?

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." – Anonymous
Old Dec 26, '09, 9:18 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic Christian Papist =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceandglory View Post
Are you required to genuflect if you must get up for some reason and excuse yourself?
ie" during the offering or homily to take child to bathroom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceandglory View Post
If you are in a new parish, and you can't find the parish's tabernacle, would you still genuflect upon entering?

WHY?

If we genuflect to adore God in the Blessed Sacrament, why are we adoring (worshipping) the altar if the Blessed Sacrament is not present?

Hoping for specific answer here. The earlier GIRM answer didn't mention this.
If you need to hurry out, acknowledging the Lord by bowing low is something that should be done at the very least.

When visiting a parish, you should look for the sanctuary candle. If you cannot find it, you may wish to ask someone where the tabernacle is. Jesus is housed there, after all.

We adore Jesus in the tabernacle. You genuflect to Him, not the altar. Always face the tabernacle, wherever it is, when you genuflect. This is of course different if the Lord is exposed for Eucharistic adoration. Then, you face wherever the Lord is exposed and kneel, crossing yourself prior to seating yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apryl View Post
I understand that during the Sign of Peace that we don't genuflect, but can someone explain why?

Why would we genuflect to each other? During the sign of peace we are giving the sign of peace. Standing during the sign of peace is a gesture of respect and honor. If you want to understand more of the gestures of Mass, go here.
Old Dec 26, '09, 9:19 am

Religion: Catholic

Genuflection on Left Knee

"When greeting or leaving the Pope or other hierarchs with the rank of Bishop or above and who have jurisdiction over you (only when the Pope is not present) -- e.g., to the Bishop or Archbishop of your diocese, not of a neighboring diocese. During the left-knee genuflection, a kiss is given to the hierarch's ring. Then stand."

http://www.fisheaters.com/posture.html
Old Dec 26, '09, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_mlly View Post
Genuflection on Left Knee

"When greeting or leaving the Pope or other hierarchs with the rank of Bishop or above and who have jurisdiction over you (only when the Pope is not present) -- e.g., to the Bishop or Archbishop of your diocese, not of a neighboring diocese. During the left-knee genuflection, a kiss is given to the hierarch's ring. Then stand."

http://www.fisheaters.com/posture.html
While I would love a chance to meet a pope in real life, I'm afraid I might just tip over if I tried a left knee genuflection. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Dec 26, '09, 9:49 am

Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DihydrogenOxide View Post
Why would we genuflect to each other? During the sign of peace we are giving the sign of peace. Standing during the sign of peace is a gesture of respect and honor.
I understand that we NEVER genuflect to each other....

But often, during the Sign of Peace, I may pass in front of the Tabernacle, or the newly consecrated Host.

I do not genuflect at this time (although, at one time, I did... not sure why, but I did it intentionally), but I work with children and new converts to the faith.

I would like an answer for WHY we had been genuflecting towards the Tabernacle, but now that we are in Mass, preparing for the reception of the Eucharist, we are not doing it.

Thank you so much. I think this is a pretty important thread (maybe because it's a question I've had for a while) and I appreciate your response.

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." – Anonymous
Old Dec 26, '09, 10:06 am
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Catholic

I hope someone can help me with how to handle a tricky entrance to our Latin Rite church.

The situation: I need to help my elderly mother to the handicapped section in the front row which is accessible from the front right side entrance of the church. (She is physically incapable of genuflecting).The Holy Water font is just left of this entrance, and the Tabernacle is just to the right.After helping my mother, I need to turn left to walk to my pew, turning my back to the Tabernacle.

When do I genuflect? Bless myself? Do I help her first?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 26, '09, 10:21 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I understand that we NEVER genuflect to each other....

But often, during the Sign of Peace, I may pass in front of the Tabernacle, or the newly consecrated Host.

I do not genuflect at this time (although, at one time, I did... not sure why, but I did it intentionally), but I work with children and new converts to the faith.

I would like an answer for WHY we had been genuflecting towards the Tabernacle, but now that we are in Mass, preparing for the reception of the Eucharist, we are not doing it.

Thank you so much. I think this is a pretty important thread (maybe because it's a question I've had for a while) and I appreciate your response.
You're only supposed to do the sign of peace with those immediately near you. You are not supposed to really be walking anywhere. Whatever people may be around you in close proximity, do the sign of peace with them. If there are people far away, I suggest nodding toward them in acknowledgment or a raised hand to acknowledge the gift of the sign of peace. There should not be much movement around during this time on the part of the congregation. Certainly, passing through the center aisle should not be done.

Genuflection toward the tabernacle is recognizing that Jesus, our Lord, in Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity is present within the tabernacle. Our Creator Himself is there. If the sanctuary candle is lit, He is there within the tabernacle, waiting to be given sacramentally to his people.

Here is some info in the Catholic Catechism:

Quote:
1183 The tabernacle is to be situated "in churches in a most worthy place with the greatest honor." The dignity, placing, and security of the Eucharistic tabernacle should foster adoration before the Lord really present in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar.
The sacred chrism (myron), used in anointings as the sacramental sign of the seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit, is traditionally reserved and venerated in a secure place in the sanctuary. The oil of catechumens and the oil of the sick may also be placed there.
Quote:
1379 The tabernacle was first intended for the reservation of the Eucharist in a worthy place so that it could be brought to the sick and those absent outside of Mass. As faith in the real presence of Christ in his Eucharist deepened, the Church became conscious of the meaning of silent adoration of the Lord present under the Eucharistic species. It is for this reason that the tabernacle should be located in an especially worthy place in the church and should be constructed in such a way that it emphasizes and manifests the truth of the real presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.
Quote:
2715 Contemplation is a gaze of faith, fixed on Jesus. "I look at him and he looks at me": this is what a certain peasant of Ars in the time of his holy curé used to say while praying before the tabernacle. This focus on Jesus is a renunciation of self. His gaze purifies our heart; the light of the countenance of Jesus illumines the eyes of our heart and teaches us to see everything in the light of his truth and his compassion for all men. Contemplation also turns its gaze on the mysteries of the life of Christ. Thus it learns the "interior knowledge of our Lord," the more to love him and follow him.
The true presence of Jesus in Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity is the reason which the building of the church is so beautiful in Catholicism. It is not the building itself so much, as, in every Catholic Church, Jesus is always truly present. The King, our Creator of all, is sitting right there in front of us in the tabernacle...the Lord, wholly humble. It makes sense that we should at the very least genuflect to Him.

Among so many other Eucharistic was this really interesting one.

Am I even coming close to answering your question? If not, please clarify what you mean.
Old Dec 26, '09, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariyka View Post
I hope someone can help me with how to handle a tricky entrance to our Latin Rite church.

The situation: I need to help my elderly mother to the handicapped section in the front row which is accessible from the front right side entrance of the church. (She is physically incapable of genuflecting).The Holy Water font is just left of this entrance, and the Tabernacle is just to the right.After helping my mother, I need to turn left to walk to my pew, turning my back to the Tabernacle.

When do I genuflect? Bless myself? Do I help her first?

Any advice would be appreciated.
I am in no way an authority, so this is my OPINION

But when you are doing this task to help someone in need, you should remain reverential.

I would concentrate on getting her safely where she needs to go, and then, as you are moving away from her, then you may genuflect.

Again, my OPINION!

Apryl

Old Dec 26, '09, 11:04 am

Quote:
[color="DarkSlateBlue"][font="Book Antiqua"]

You're only supposed to do the sign of peace with those immediately near you. You are not supposed to really be walking anywhere.

Where do you get that? I have looked in the GIRM, although not recently, and I do not recall there being any prohibition of moving to offer a greeting to others. While it may not be required, there is nothing to say that I should not

Since I often sit at the end of my pew, sometimes, it's easier for me to approach those to the other side of the aisle, which would be crossing in front of the Tabernacle.

The reason for my question.

Apryl

Old Dec 26, '09, 11:10 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When to bow and when to genuflect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reff View Post
I'm so confused on when it is proper to bow and when it is proper to genuflect. Basically what I do is when I first walk in I, of course, cross myself with the holy water, than when I walk to the aisle, I make a profound bow, after I find where I want to sit, than I genflect before entering the pew. I also do the same, I genuflect when I leave the pew after mass has ended, than I will make another profound bow, when I reach the end of the aisle when I'm walking out. Also, I cross myself when I genuflect, is that ok? Please use layman terms, I'm a little slow
I practically do the same. When I walk into the church, I cross myself with holy water. Then, when I finally find a pew in which to sit, I will genuflect towards the Tabernacle. Also, before I leave after Mass, I do the same. That is up to you as to whether or not you want to cross yourself as you genuflect, or bow. As I have gotten older and my knees are giving me trouble, I sometimes bow now instead of genuflecting as the latter is too painful. When I bow, I will make the sign of the cross too. As far as I am concerned, we are doing nothing out of the ordinary, and I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable.
Old Dec 26, '09, 11:23 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Where do you get that? I have looked in the GIRM, although not recently, and I do not recall there being any prohibition of moving to offer a greeting to others. While it may not be required, there is nothing to say that I should not

Since I often sit at the end of my pew, sometimes, it's easier for me to approach those to the other side of the aisle, which would be crossing in front of the Tabernacle.

The reason for my question.
This is the quote from the GIRM on Vatican website.

Quote:
The Rite of Peace: GIRM

82. The Rite of Peace follows, by which the Church asks for peace and unity for herself and for the whole human family, and the faithful express to each other their ecclesial communion and mutual charity before communicating in the Sacrament.

As for the sign of peace to be given, the manner is to be established by Conferences of Bishops in accordance with the culture and customs of the peoples. It is, however, appropriate that each person offer the sign of peace only to those who are nearest and in a sober manner.
This is the same that is listed on the USCCB website for GIRM, so the USCCB has the same view on this matter as does the Vatican.

Waving silently toward someone across the aisle is probably more appropriate. Standing directly in front of Jesus, is like standing in the aisle right in front of a seated king, but even more so, the King of kings.

Myself, I generally stand where I am so as to keep Jesus most noticeable and not detract others' attention from being focused primarily on Him.
Old Dec 26, '09, 11:31 am

Quote:
This is the quote from the GIRM on Vatican website
And your quote does not say that it is INappropriate to move across the aisle, or to take more than a few steps to offer a greeting to another

Since the church doesn't tell me it is inappropriate, I will take it that it is not inappropriate

Which brings me back to my first question:

Why is it that we do not genuflect during the Sign of Peace?

Apryl

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments