Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 16, '08, 7:02 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The names of the seven archangels in Catholic Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarricano View Post
Uriel is traditionally associated with the angel who guarded Jesus´ tomb in the Gospel of St. Matthew, though he is not mentioned by name.
!
Uriel is also associated with the Angel of Death that came to the first born of Egypt in Exodus.

I've always wished that the Church recognized the rabbinical naming of Uriel. It would be really cool to have a Catholic grade school somewhere named "The St. Uriel Smiters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith17
I'm sorry, but unless you disagree with Pope Zachary and the Church itself, I do not believe you can "know" any of the names of the other Archangels
FYI, what Pope Zachary prohibited was the public dulia of non named angles, he did not prohibit private devotion. Later bishops named parish churches after St. Uriel, so the practice is disciplinary, not dogmatic.
Old Jun 16, '08, 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted in Charlott View Post
Your blog is interesting. And you will find some people get a little wound up here. I had someone almost take off my head in a greatest movie thread, seems I didn't list one of their favorites and they were ready to go to fistacuffs.

Just stay out of certain sections, they are like dark alleys.
Thanks for the compliment! And for the warning ...

I would hope everyone would assume good will on the part of other posters until clear evidence is given otherwise. I decided to sign up because it's a good opportunity to meet and chat with fellow Catholics from around the world, not to get into debates.

God bless!
Old Jun 16, '08, 7:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Here's another, fun "angelic" legend I found in it: do you know the date when blackberries turn tasteless? It's on 29 September, after which they are no longer picked but left for the birds. That's Michaelmas, St. Michael's feast day, in honor of the angel who drove Lucifer out of heaven. In honor of the occasion, so the legend goes, the devil spits on the blackberries, leaving them tasteless!
September 29 is also the feast day of St. Raphael and St. Gabriel (in the new calendar at least). So that's interesting about the blackberries....do they get better with age until about that time, or is there like a mid-summer flavour peak?
Old Jun 16, '08, 2:05 pm
Prayer Warrior

Lo siento Navarricano,

My earlier post does come off as a bit aggressive, and for that I apologize. It seems more and more people are getting into the "New Age" side of angelology (naming their guardian angels, obsessing with angelic intervention) and ignoring the wisdom given to us by Pope St. Zachary on the dangers of angelolatry.

But I can see that this is not the case with you or your OP. Una vez más, lo siento, y espero que puedamos charlar en el futuro sobre algo un poco menos controversial.

Bienvenidos al forum
Old Jun 16, '08, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith17 View Post
Lo siento Navarricano,

My earlier post does come off as a bit aggressive, and for that I apologize. It seems more and more people are getting into the "New Age" side of angelology (naming their guardian angels, obsessing with angelic intervention) and ignoring the wisdom given to us by Pope St. Zachary on the dangers of angelolatry.

But I can see that this is not the case with you or your OP. Una vez más, lo siento, y espero que puedamos charlar en el futuro sobre algo un poco menos controversial.

Bienvenidos al forum
Thank you for the kind words Jsmith. I hope I didn't sound too harsh in my reply either.

Te agradezco las disculpas, y ¡por supuesto podemos charlar en el futuro! Entiendo también tu preocupación por la obsesión de algunos por las ideas"Nueva Era" sobre los santos ángeles ... tenemos que distinguir siempre entre una devoción sana a estos poderosos intercesores y la idolatría de los que no conocen su verdadero papel en el plan de Dios.

Un saludo, ¡y que Dios te bendiga!
Old Jun 16, '08, 9:00 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
This is more of a trivia question than anything else so I hope this is an okay place to put this thread. But I thought the people that frequent this forum would be the best ones to tease with this one?

Do you know the names that Scripture and/or Tradition ascribes to the Seven Archangels? Of course I knew three of them (you know which three those are ...) and only recently learned the other names. Anyone out there want to take a shot at naming them? Be fair, if you find them in some online resource, cite it so that we don't think you're a Catholic Trivia genius.

Bonus points if you know the meanings of the names of the seven ...

I know their names!
Michael
Raphael
Gabriel
Uriel
Sealtiel
Barachiel
Jhudiel

There's a national Shrine of St. Michael & the angels here in Manila, Philippines. I have a prayer booklet in honor of these 7 archangels.
Old Jun 22, '08, 1:01 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepharad View Post
There is a prayer that Orthodox Jews say before bedtime every night...the prayer asks God to keep the angels Michael, Raphael, Gavriel and Uriel at their sides while they sleep.

I assume that Catholicism adopted the belief in these angels from Orthodox Judaism?
Yep. That was because belief in seven Archangels is an old one, dating back to post-exilic Judaism (a lot of commentators state that the Jews came up with the names for the Angels while in captivity in Babylon). A lot of ancient Jewish works usually give the number of focal Archangels as seven, with the three higher ones as Michael, Raphael and Gabriel. This belief had then influenced and passed into Christian thought.

The first four is usually consistently named Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. However, the other three have a greater variation over their names:

-Selaphiel (also Salathiel, Selaphiel or Sealtiel), another archangel whose name comes from 2 Esdras.
-Jegudiel (also Judiel), his name's origin is rather obscure; there is an Archangel named Jeremiel mentioned in 2 Esdras, which may be Judiel but many believe he is Uriel in another name.
-Barachiel; name comes from 3 Enoch, where he is one of four ruling Seraphim and has 496000 myriads of Angels ministering to him. Barachiel is said to be the chief of the Guardian Angels.

Others give wholly different names that have a great amount of variants.

Perhaps the reason why the Church gives more emphasis to the main three Archangels (and why the other four generally do not have feastdays) is because at the Council of Rome of 745, Pope St. Zachary, intending to clarify the Church's teaching on the subject of angels and curb a tendency by some toward angel worship, condemned obsession with angelic intervention and angelolatry, but reaffirmed the approval of the practice of the reverence of angels. This synod struck many angels' names from the list of those eligible for veneration in the Church of Rome.

Only the reverence of the archangels mentioned in the recognized Catholic canon of Scriptures, Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, remained licit (though apparently Uriel and the others somehow 'crept back' into popular devotion in many places, even though Uriel's name was among those that were struck out). This restriction did not seem to affect the Eastern Church, who continued to honor the other four officially beside the Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.
Old Jun 22, '08, 1:43 am

How do you become an archangel ?
Are they still hiring ?
Old Jun 22, '08, 6:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by abucs View Post
Are they still hiring ?

Sorry, the positions were filled before the beginning of time
Old Jun 22, '08, 7:58 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Dear Navarricano -
Don't worry about names of Archangels
If you're interested in Church Tradition, why not consider the "Guard of Honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus"? (I don't have a link - but you can research online.) I was enrolled in school. What it amounts to is offering glory, love and reparation to the Heart of Jesus together with a particular Heavenly Person (or group of angels) at a chosen hour. Each has their designated hour of the day, and are as follows:

12-1: The most Blessed Virgin
1-2 - St. Joseph
2-3 - All Saints
3-4 - The Seraphim
4-5 - The Cherubim
5-6 - The Thrones
6-7 - The Dominations
7-8 - The Virtues
8-9 - The Powers
9-10 - The Principalities
10-11- The Archangels
11-12- The Angels

I just checked my Enrollment, which I kept framed all these years. I had chosen my hour based on when I thought I'd be awake (7-8 a.m.) versus perhaps choosing a Heavenly Person or Angelic Group....Ironically, if I were to do it today, I might have chosen otherwise based on Person or Group....But it seems God wanted me to be more virtuous ! Your post has now spurred me on to research "The Virtues"....Why not look into this? You could always just join in with The Archangels' hour - you don't need their names!
God bless you.
Old Jun 22, '08, 3:58 pm

When did the archangels become saints?

Are all angels saints?
Old Jun 22, '08, 4:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Jet View Post
When did the archangels become saints?

Are all angels saints?
They have been saints since they first beheld the Beatific Vision. I'm not sure when they were first given the title "Saint".
Yes, all angels are saints.
Old Jun 22, '08, 6:43 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by abucs View Post
Are they still hiring ?
Let's see...The job specifications are:

-At least 100000000000 eons of professional level experience
-preferably in 'Good' standing

Old Jun 22, '08, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
Let's see...The job specifications are:

-At least 100000000000 eons of professional level experience
-preferably in 'Good' standing

Oh, i see. Let me get back to you.
Old Nov 23, '12, 6:51 pm
Trial Membership

Question Re: The names of the seven archangels in Catholic Tradition

I'm so confused I have heard of a cassiel as part of the seven angels? and I also wanted to know if you can choose an archangel as your confirmation saint? such as saint Michel the archangel?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism