Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 25, '08, 8:50 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Young Earth v. Old Earth

There have been many evangelicals lately who hold to the Young Earth theory, that the earth is 6,000 years old. They deduce this from scripture. I would like to know what some of you CF members think of this theory. It seems to me that science has provided considerable evidence that shows the contrary: that the earth is very old. About 4.5 billion years. Please render your comments on this subject. Thanks.
Old Jun 25, '08, 10:28 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to rosebudsal
Default Re: Young Earth v. Old Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by algran View Post
There have been many evangelicals lately who hold to the Young Earth theory, that the earth is 6,000 years old. They deduce this from scripture. I would like to know what some of you CF members think of this theory. It seems to me that science has provided considerable evidence that shows the contrary: that the earth is very old. About 4.5 billion years. Please render your comments on this subject. Thanks.
Old Earth! Definitely. There is too much proof otherwise. I remember telling a non-Catholic, culturally Jewish friend, actually that I learned Evolution in Catholic School and she seemed really surprised. I think Religion and Science can coexist and I do think the Earth is as old as

I think about it this way, to God, time is irrelevant. To Him millions of years is nothing. ;-)

Sad thing was that I was sitting with my cousin, former Catholic, now Independent Fundamental Baptist and we looked up some rock formations in the nearby area which were dated at 30 Million years or so, which she disputed because the Earth isn't that old. I really was surprised she believed this as she'd been raised pretty much in the same way as I and how could she just dismiss it all so easily? Then she told me about some Indian Ruins where the people up and vanished, apparently, taken up to heaven or something.

Don't know why I went off on that ramble.

"One opens the inner doors of one's heart to the infinite silences of the Spirit, out of whose abysses love wells up without fail and gives itself to all." Thomas Merton.

My musings: Confessions and Contemplations.
Old Jun 25, '08, 11:05 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

It seems that fundamentalist Christians take the days or periods of creation as limited literal concepts. Others understand the period of times in God's creation as being more evolutional. God is not constricted from the latter. In the face of the evidence, I'd be a 'non-believing' fundamentalist if I believed as they do. A priest I knew asked a pastor from a fundamentalist Christian faith how he reconciles science and his view of creation. He replied, "I keep them in separate mental compartments." This may not be response of all Fundamentalist Christians. They are surely uncomfortable when their children study science or are confronted by dissenting documentaries. I always spare them a sympathetic thought when confronted by such things...or even the Grand Canyon, or Petrified Forest...
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Jun 26, '08, 4:44 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
We are free to believe in either. However, I believe in the 4.5 billion years old Earth and think a 6,000 years old Earth is simply nonsense.
It tends to be hardline Protestant Bible fundamentalists who believe in the young earth.
Old Jun 26, '08, 5:15 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
scripture tells the story of creation in poetic language, and science, several thousand years later after Genesis was written is finally able to assert with some confidence that the order of creation is as described in Genesis. the bible says nothing about the age of the earth, or the time elapesed for the various stages of creation. the poetic use of "day and evening followed" suggests an ordered creation, not a literal length of time. It would be absurd to assert that the first "day" of creation was 24 hours since our sun, but this account had not yet been created, so the solar day, as we measure time on earth, the standard for measuring earthly time, did not yet exist.

since the bible, whose realm is faith, not science, is silent on age of the earth, we look to science, whose realm this is.
Old Jun 26, '08, 8:02 am
Banned

Religion: leaning catholic

Genesis teaches an Old Earth type creation. Not our scientific evolution per say.

Evolution is scientifically impossible, by laws as we currently understand. Today's scientist can't conclusively prove that evolution could work ... as their theory now proposes.

However, God's 'spiritual energy' has given the impetus at various points in creation process ... to enable physical laws to transform the earth over millions/billions of years.

Evolution [w/o a creator] is dead.
Old Jun 26, '08, 8:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Psalm 90:4

"For You, a thousand years are as a passing day, as brief as a few night hours."

Old Jun 26, '08, 4:56 pm

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic

I'm not going to get into a debate here or anything - I promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore. But I will state that I believe in a young earth.
Old Jun 26, '08, 5:12 pm
Forum Elder

Bible genealogies put it around 12,000 years old.

Interpreting the Genealogies of Genesis Page

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Jun 26, '08, 5:21 pm
Forum Elder

New Evidence of Genesis Genealogies To Be Understood as an Accurate Calendar of History-

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Jun 26, '08, 5:28 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister De View Post
I'm not going to get into a debate here or anything - I promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore. But I will state that I believe in a young earth.
I would still be interested to know why you think that considering science proves it is over 4 billion years old and there is NOTHING in the Bible about the age of the Earth.
Old Jun 26, '08, 7:35 pm

Religion: Lapsed Catholic

Quote:
Sad thing was that I was sitting with my cousin, former Catholic, now Independent Fundamental Baptist and we looked up some rock formations in the nearby area which were dated at 30 Million years or so, which she disputed because the Earth isn't that old. I really was surprised she believed this as she'd been raised pretty much in the same way as I and how could she just dismiss it all so easily?
Is incredible how fundamentalism brainwashes the gulible and the weak of mind.
Old Jun 26, '08, 8:00 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to rosebudsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecloud View Post
Is incredible how fundamentalism brainwashes the gulible and the weak of mind.

Yes. It's truly sad. She stayed with me for a while and we didn't really didn't talk much about religion, until one night when I asked her to tell me about her religion and while she believed in it so strongly, it just reaffirmed my beliefs in Catholicism.

"One opens the inner doors of one's heart to the infinite silences of the Spirit, out of whose abysses love wells up without fail and gives itself to all." Thomas Merton.

My musings: Confessions and Contemplations.
Old Jun 26, '08, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishie View Post
It seems that fundamentalist Christians take the days or periods of creation as limited literal concepts. Others understand the period of times in God's creation as being more evolutional. God is not constricted from the latter. In the face of the evidence, I'd be a 'non-believing' fundamentalist if I believed as they do. A priest I knew asked a pastor from a fundamentalist Christian faith how he reconciles science and his view of creation. He replied, "I keep them in separate mental compartments." This may not be response of all Fundamentalist Christians. They are surely uncomfortable when their children study science or are confronted by dissenting documentaries. I always spare them a sympathetic thought when confronted by such things...or even the Grand Canyon, or Petrified Forest...

Many of them homeschool their children, I honestly think this has a lot to do with why they homeschool. It may not be the only reason but it is definitely one of the reasons.

Peace be with you

Old Jun 26, '08, 8:11 pm

For the record, I have personally found the book In The Beginning by Pope Benedict to very helpful.

Peace be with you

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics