Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '08, 8:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Can I stay at a monastery/seminary/convent?

Hello! I hope this is the right area to post this question. I am curious as to if it is possible and acceptable to stay at monasteries, convents, and/or seminaries, like if I am travelling. I've always thought it would be a neat experience, but I really don't know how to go about doing this and if it is acceptable. In particular, I will be traveling to Australia (I will be attending WYD!) and New Zealand and hope to locate some possible stays there. Also, I am female and will be traveling with my boyfriend. Of course, I wouldn't expect us to be housed together in the same room (nor do we want to be). I am really just looking if anyone can provide me with more information. Also, if it is possible, is it flexible that we'd be able to participate, say in prayer, mass, etc with the rest of the house?

Thanks so much!

Maria
Old Jun 25, '08, 9:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Can I stay at a monastery/seminary/convent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkim630 View Post
Hello! I hope this is the right area to post this question. I am curious as to if it is possible and acceptable to stay at monasteries, convents, and/or seminaries, like if I am travelling. I've always thought it would be a neat experience, but I really don't know how to go about doing this and if it is acceptable. In particular, I will be traveling to Australia (I will be attending WYD!) and New Zealand and hope to locate some possible stays there. Also, I am female and will be traveling with my boyfriend. Of course, I wouldn't expect us to be housed together in the same room (nor do we want to be). I am really just looking if anyone can provide me with more information. Also, if it is possible, is it flexible that we'd be able to participate, say in prayer, mass, etc with the rest of the house?

Thanks so much!

Maria
That all depends on the house. You should contact possible locations to get details.
Old Jun 25, '08, 9:54 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Adian View Post
That all depends on the house. You should contact possible locations to get details.
That would be the best way to do it. Contact those places that you are interested in staying at, what they would offer/expect/allow would probably differ from place to place.

I have to say, though, you've left it way too late for anything in Sydney during WYD time if that's what you wanted.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jun 25, '08, 10:20 pm

Thank you for your responses! I am all set to go for Sydney, but not sure yet what I will do for the couple of weeks after...

God bless!
Old Jun 25, '08, 10:22 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, very interested in Eastern Churches
Send a message via AIM to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via MSN to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via Yahoo to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via Skype™ to JesuXPIPassio

There isn't really a universal norm for it. Some congregations would allow it, some would not. Out of the ones that allow it, some would only consider it if the visitors are clergy or members of religious orders, while some communities wouldn't do it even if they're not exactly banned from doing it by their rules.

It's something I've wanted to do too, but when I travel, I usually have a place to stay already, so I don't bother. It sounds like it would be great to do.

I understand that some Benedictines have it. I saw a website for some Benedictine monastery in Rome that lets visitors stay. If I'm not mistaken, the Benedictine Rules allow for visitors (I might be wrong; it's been a long time since I've read through it and I don't remember for sure). I believe that they ask for a small donation for your stay.

I also know a professor who stayed at a Benedictine monastery while visiting some place. She loved it. One thing she remembers fondly is how they eat: someone reads from religious works during the meal.

Sorry, I wish I could help you more; it's great that you want to do that, but since there's so much disparity out there and no uniform rules or customs, you're just going to have to research with convents and monasteries in the areas where you're going. To save time, try contacting the dioceses of those places if they can direct you; it's better than trying every single convent or monastery out there. Go here for diocesan addresses: http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/

You might want to specify that you're looking for a place that regularly does this. Some convents or monasteries don't routinely allow visitors, but you know how those guys are -- they're so nice, they're not gonna say no to you, like with Mary and Joseph at the Inn. But for the sake of your comfort and theirs, you want to make sure it's a place that really does this.

Have fun on your trip! I was invited to the WYD during the Jubilee 2000 but I turned down the invitation, and I've grown to regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkim630 View Post

Thanks so much!

Maria

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence