Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 6, '08, 10:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, very interested in Eastern Churches
Send a message via AIM to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via MSN to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via Yahoo to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via Skype™ to JesuXPIPassio
Default Christ of the Hills Monastery in Blanco, Texas

Hi, does anyone happen to know what happened to that Christ of the Hills Monastery in Blanco, Texas? It isn't Catholic, but they say they are Orthodox (I can't figure out if they really are or they're just lying about it, like how Sedevacantists claim they're Catholic but really aren't).

I read a couple articles that said that the monks there were alleged to be sex offenders. http://www.religionnewsblog.com/1539...ills-monastery and http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.3e8b0d6.html.

Does anyone know what happened to those allegations? Were those monks convicted?

They had what supposedly was a miraculous Icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary that wept myrrh. Does anyone know what happened with that? The Catholic Church never investigated for some reason (I don't think it's because they're not Catholic; the Church has looked into and approved the miraculous apparitions of Mary, Our Lady of Zeitoun, in Egypt even though it was Coptic Orthodox). Has the Orthodox Church investigated? Is it even a canonical-Orthodox monastery?
Old Jul 6, '08, 11:09 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Milliardo Send a message via Yahoo to Milliardo
Default Re: Christ of the Hills Monastery in Blanco, Texas

I think the answers to your questions can be found in the news you cited http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....3e8b0d6.html:

That association (with ROCOR) ended eight years later following the allegations of child sexual abuse, as did the monastery's practice of accepting novitiates under age 18 and as young as 12. The cadre of full-time monks dropped to about seven.

"That year, we received evidence from a mother of a child at the monastery that sexual misconduct had been occurring there," said Nicolas Ohotin, spokesman for the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. "Within 24 hours, the church suspended the clerics and dissolved our relationship."

Previously, the church had sent priests to Texas to investigate concerns raised about activities at Christ of the Hills, but they never found sufficient evidence of wrongdoing, Mr. Ohotin said.

So, from being canonical they became non-canonical and seems to have continued operating on their own.

Old Jul 15, '08, 9:44 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Old Catholic

I don't know if anyone is still following the Christ of the Hills debacle, but the founder of the monastery, Sam Gtrrnr, Jr. comitted suicide on September 16 or 17 of last year. The ex-Abbot has been convcted of four counts of child molestation and another monk is likely to get a similar sentence when he is finally tried.
Old Jul 16, '08, 9:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, very interested in Eastern Churches
Send a message via AIM to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via MSN to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via Yahoo to JesuXPIPassio Send a message via Skype™ to JesuXPIPassio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladika_ioan View Post
I don't know if anyone is still following the Christ of the Hills debacle, but the founder of the monastery, Sam Gtrrnr, Jr. comitted suicide on September 16 or 17 of last year. The ex-Abbot has been convcted of four counts of child molestation and another monk is likely to get a similar sentence when he is finally tried.
Geez. That's horrible.

First they open a sham monastery, then they fake an icon that weeps, and then they molest kids.

Anyway, thanks for keeping us posted. It's not easy to find resources on this. I'm curious, is there anything else you've learnt about them?
Old Aug 7, '09, 2:05 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic

Here's the latest...
http://www.blancocountynews.com/news/article/12171
I was there twice. I enjoyed the peace while visiting. 'Fr. Anthony' was sincere. He seemed to be one of the good guys. Hope he's doing okay.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions