Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 7, '08, 4:10 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default The Merits of Pet Rats

So as to not hijack another thread I'll start a new one.

Quote:
child_of_God85 said:
I'll probably get chewed out for straying off topic as well, but that is so cool that your a rat owner as well. They make incredible pets. They don't live long enough though.
True they don't live long enough. After the first few our younger son refused to let himself get attached to a new rat. He'd never pick it up or play with it because he knew that in a few short years he was going to get his heart broken. Unfortunately, my allergies made it impossible to have the cat he always wanted.
Quote:
fbl9 said:
well since we are wandering we (my family and our FERRET) would be happy to enertain your rats.i not meaning to offend but as a unrat person i can't fathom why any one would want one for a pet. shiver
Hey, nothing wrong with ferrets, I like those too and might have had one but for my allergies.

Why shiver? It's so much fun when they crawl along your neck and their tail trails behind them.

I recall the first rat I brought home. I'd gone out for coffee and checked out the local pet shop. Spotted one lone, full grown buck in a cage - the only rat in the shop. I asked the clerk if I could play with him, something which got a 35 year old female a distinctly odd look. I explained that if after handling it there was no sign of allergy I would buy him. The clerk, who was also the breeder, was happy to oblige, explaining that he had another litter ready at home that he couldn't bring in until he got rid of the one that I'd already named Arnold.

The look on DH's face when I got home with Arnold was priceless!
"Ewwww, a rat!"
"Ok, everyone, let's get something straight. He's mine. You don't have to like him, hold him, feed him or clean his cage. He's my responsibility."

Well, in a few short days Arnold had everyone wrapped around his little paw. At night we'd let him leave his cage and he'd usually jump on the couch and curl up with DH to watch TV -- not that rats can actually do that since they have very poor vision.

One night he disappeared and we couldn't find him when it was time to go to bed. I suggested that we just leave the cage open, feeling that he'd surely come 'home' when he got hungry. We went up to make sure the kids were tucked in before we turned in and, there, curled up between DD's cheek and her favorite stuffed toy, was Arnold. He'd gone upstairs while we weren't watching and found a warm place to curl up. After that, it was his regular habit to go curl up with one of the kids.

The main problem with rats who are allowed to run loose is their need to chew everything, including electrical cords, couch cushions, shirts while they're curled up in them, etc. One that we acquired a few years later loved peanut butter. She found a way to get into the cupboard where the p.b. was kept and chewed through the plastic jar. Needless to say we had to keep her caged after that.

The last rat I bought, I bought while on a trip to the provincial drama festival. A lovely grey doe who was very affectionate from the get go. We were travelling back to our home the next day so I purchased a travelling cage and water bottle and brought the whole kit and kaboodle back to the hotel where DH and I were sharing a room with two other gals from the drama club. The next morning there were 3 little pink jellybeans in the cage: I had failed to notice that 'Charcoal' was 'with rat'.

It was a stressful 580 km drive back home over a dirt road. We were worried that the stress would cause Charcoal to eat her babies so DH would stop the car every 50 km or so to check that everyone was OK. We made it home OK, named the babies Debbie & Martha after the two gals we'd been sharing the room with and Cissy after a character in the play we'd all been involved with. Debbie & Martha turned out to be bucks.

We had those rats for about two years until they all eventually succumbed to respiratory problems -- that and cancer being the usual rat killers.

Rats are intelligent, social & affectionate if they are handled from the time they are very young. They make wonderful pets.
Old Jul 7, '08, 9:38 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: The Merits of Pet Rats

The Merits of Pet Rats?

I've had pet rats before. Hamsters. Fish. Turtles. Tortoises. Dogs.

I'm, actually partial to cats. I, presently have 13.

St. Francis intercede for me!

St. Gertrude de Nivelles pray for me!

Paul
Old Jul 7, '08, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie
The main problem with rats who are allowed to run loose is their need to chew everything, including electrical cords, couch cushions, shirts while they're curled up in them, etc.
Rabbits, too. That's why our bunny only gets to run around when we're home and can supervise.

I'd love to have a pet rat someday. Right now we're a full house, though (two people, two cats, one rabbit, tank full of fish in less than 1000 sq ft.).
Old Jul 7, '08, 1:23 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
So as to not hijack another thread I'll start a new one.

True they don't live long enough. After the first few our younger son refused to let himself get attached to a new rat. He'd never pick it up or play with it because he knew that in a few short years he was going to get his heart broken. Unfortunately, my allergies made it impossible to have the cat he always wanted.

Hey, nothing wrong with ferrets, I like those too and might have had one but for my allergies.

Why shiver? It's so much fun when they crawl along your neck and their tail trails behind them.

mmm. Isn't it true that they drag their genitals when they walk?
Christopher
Old Jul 7, '08, 1:34 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
One night he disappeared and we couldn't find him when it was time to go to bed. I suggested that we just leave the cage open, feeling that he'd surely come 'home' when he got hungry. We went up to make sure the kids were tucked in before we turned in and, there, curled up between DD's cheek and her favorite stuffed toy, was Arnold. He'd gone upstairs while we weren't watching and found a warm place to curl up. After that, it was his regular habit to go curl up with one of the kids.
No offense at all.......but rats are sooooo creepy to me. If I had found one in my DD's bed.........I think I would have died.

Perhaps it's because I used to live in a large city where sometimes you could get a pet rat without even trying.

And by the way, the description of one getting into the PB.....I guess DH has won the argument...... PB does go in the fridge.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Jul 7, '08, 1:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Well, I'm going to agree that pet rats are AWESOME

Our current rat walks around with her tail curled up along her back instead of on the ground. I'd never seen a rat do that before.
Old Jul 7, '08, 1:46 pm

A good friend in college had a pet rat. I thought it was too wierd until I got to know her. She was pretty cute.
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry
Old Jul 7, '08, 1:55 pm
Banned
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.

I think rats would make great targets.

You know like cats.

Just had to put that in for those cat lovers out there.
Old Jul 7, '08, 4:21 pm
Forum Master

Don't you think these are cute??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumbo_Mom_&_Baby[1].jpg
Views:	72
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	3511  
Old Jul 7, '08, 4:40 pm
Veteran Member

I don't even like squirrels cause they seem like rats with cute fluffy tails.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Jul 7, '08, 7:19 pm

Religion: Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kirchoff View Post
Well, I'm going to agree that pet rats are AWESOME

Our current rat walks around with her tail curled up along her back instead of on the ground. I'd never seen a rat do that before.
Does your rat run on a wheel? Because a curled tail is usually the sign of a wheen runner. I have a hairless rat that has a "wheel tail", it looks like a pigs tail in a way.

I've lost 8 rats over the years, and while it's so sad when they die I know I'll always have a pet rat. Their worth the pain. I've always had dogs and cats that were really sweet, but I've never had pets that were so affectionate as my rats. They really bond to their owner. I have a male rat named Teddy that loves to curl up on my hand when I'm watching tv. He'll just sit there and groom my hand for hours.
I try not to get mad when people insult me for having pet rats (and this happens quite often), I understand that most people have a huge misunderstanding about rats, that their vile and disgusting plague carrying creatures (which they aren't).

Here is a pic of one of my babies, Buffy. She's a hairless rat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1851.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	3514  

The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved.
Old Jul 7, '08, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora77 View Post
A good friend in college had a pet rat. I thought it was too wierd until I got to know her. She was pretty cute.
Your friend or the rat????

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old Jul 10, '08, 2:13 pm

Remember "Doris" in "Home Alone III"? She was a plump white rat, very smart.
Old Jul 10, '08, 4:36 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaMartha View Post
Remember "Doris" in "Home Alone III"? She was a plump white rat, very smart.
OTOH, remember "Willard"? "Ben" was much nicer.

Oh, and to the poster who asked, no they don't drag their testicles on the ground although, proportionately, they are huge!

It's been said that if rats were 4 feet tall there would probably be no humans as they are smart enough that they would get rid of us.
Old Jul 10, '08, 5:57 pm
Banned

Post Re: The Merits of Pet Rats

[quote=Phemie;3894233]So as to not hijack another thread I'll start a new one.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Of course, rates raised to be pets are quite different from the wild rats. I have several friends who love rats. I don't, but that is because I have three cats. For cats, you beloved pet rat is still "lunch"

I will consider adding ferrets once California legalizes them

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence