Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 11, '08, 6:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Rick Salbato

Has anyone ever heard of Rick Salbato or has anyone ever read anything on his website www.unitypublishing.com?

What do you think of him and/or the website?

Old Aug 16, '09, 10:10 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Irish Catholic
Default Re: Rick Salbato

This has been covered in another thread related to 'Unity Publishing'.

Rick Salbato : good and bad

He primarily addresses discerning the truthfulness of apparitions.
In this area there is some to be learned from him.
However, he relies on unsubstantiated rumor too much with some
apparitions to discount them. Many of these rumors deal with the person associated with the apparition. His methods of analyzing throw too much of the baby out with the bathwater so to speak, which in the area of discerning apparitions is 'the preferred mistake to make' as opposed to being too accepting of all or any apparitions.

Some have criticized Rick Salbato for being involved with the spreading
of salacious unsubstantiated tabloid gossip concerning the apparitions
and likewise some of his personal and/or professional associations have turned into nightmares. One or more of his associations concerned with showing Medjugorje is false was a personality more bent on evil than good as it eventually turned out.

Soooo, if you need to learn something in the area of discerning apparitions the site www.unitypublishing.com is good, however
much of it needs discernment also as it relies on too much of
unsubstantiated rumor in some instances. Further, it is the job of the devil to throw out and spread false rumors concerning true apparitions.
This has always been the case with true apparitions.
So in some cases Rick Salbato may be a little too energetic in
throwing out the bathwater.

Case in point: Rick Salbato of UnityPublishing.com is big on denying
Medjugorje as a true apparition. He relies too much on unsubstantiated
rumor and the professional/business associations of the seers. They would practically have to live in poverty,drive 20 year old cars, or live in a monastery to satisfy him. Moreover, he relies too much on Fatima as being a model for Blessed Virgin Mary apparitions.

Good site for strong thinkers who want to learn to discern apparitions
and can seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Bad site for weak thinkers.

Last edited by RB2; Aug 16, '09 at 10:23 am.
Old Aug 16, '09, 10:26 am

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

...Along with RB2's post---There are some "Catholics" on the Web-even here at CAF- who take Rick Sabalto's opinions over the Church's stance in regard to purported apparitions.
Even when shown the Vatican's website and pages---they repeat and hold steadfast to what Sabalto has written. Arguing his opinion.

...now if they only held steadfast onto what the Vatican says in these regards, and were as strong in defending the teachings from the Pope!

Just what does he have that keeps some people from being behooved-so firmly believing him over the Pope/Vatican is an answer that I have never found.

+Peace In Christ.
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Jan 7, '11, 7:26 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to alexmarison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnInTexas View Post
...Along with RB2's post---There are some "Catholics" on the Web-even here at CAF- who take Rick Sabalto's opinions over the Church's stance in regard to purported apparitions.
Who cares what Salbato says - with all due respect: his is the only side in the Medjugorje debate that is reproducing official documents - that is all the statements by the competent authorities on the matter. That should not be called scandal mongering, even though these documents, which come from the Bishop in charge of Medjugorje and other prelates, repeatedly condemn the apparitions and many priests and other seers involved with them. In other words, there is no basis for treating Medjugorje as an open case in which there is no authoritative statement to refer to in forming an opinion. Authority is heavy against it. Don't look at anything he writes if you wish - just look at the pronouncments by the bishops who have had charge over medjugorje. Read their version of the events and compare them to those of Fatima, Lourdes, and Guadalupe. Compare their seers (all canonized saints, whose greatest virtue was obedience) to those of Medjugorje.
Old Jan 7, '11, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaRose View Post
Has anyone ever heard of Rick Salbato or has anyone ever read anything on his website www.unitypublishing.com?

What do you think of him and/or the website?

I ran across Mr. Salbato when I was researching Ann a lay apostle. It is difficult to verify his accusations in detail but in general he raises some good issues. I frankly find his approach too strident for my taste. However in the case of Ann a lay apostle, I agree with his conclusion (after doing my own research).

God Bless,

Iowa Mike
Old Jan 8, '11, 7:06 am

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

Hey, you're not supposed to dredge up these old threads. You can search and read, but don't post. Next time, start a new one-and you can refer back with a link, for instance.

Okay. Well, if you like Rick Salbato-then read his writings.

I, for one prefer Mark Mallett, who backs everything up with our Popes, Holy Scripture, Early Fathers' Writings, Saints. I also prefer the Pelianito Journal Blog.

I also read http://www.spiritdaily.com/ and http://www.spirit-digest.com/

I read them. While at Spirit Daily, I usually drop down to Earthquake Bulletin and look at what's happening around the world with earthquakes.

I'm not pointing at anyone (as I have not read anything of Sabalto's or Ronald L. Conte, Jr. or several others for a long time)-just because I found something I believed to be innacurate with them. I used to be interested in reading around, and discussing-but instead, prefer to spend more time with Jesus.

By their fruit you shall know them.

We need, especially now, to discern everything.

Click Here: Deluge of False Prophets

We are being bombarded by much in these days. Exciting as it is, we must discern everything. Pray. Know our Faith. There's much good and bad fruit out here.

And, finally:

Click Here: The Mind of Christ

God Bless you.
+Dominus Vobiscum.
Love, Dawn
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity
Old Jan 11, '11, 12:34 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmarison View Post
Who cares what Salbato says - with all due respect: ...even though these documents, which come from the Bishop in charge of Medjugorje and other prelates, repeatedly condemn the apparitions

It seems you are similar to Salbato.
For instance you state the Medjugorje is condemned. This is not so.
There are 3 findings that can be made as concerns an apparition

The decision of the local bishop should be one of the following:
1) constat de supernaturalitate (established as supernatural). This would
be the category of approved.

2) constat de non supernaturalitate (established as not supernatural);
This would be the category of condemned.

3) non constat de supernaturalitate (not established as supernatural).
This judgment would seem to be completely open to further evidence or development. This is also the category of Medjugorje and Garbandal.
Not only is this category open to further evidence or development but this is precisely what is going on with the Pope's commision on Medjugorje.

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/apparitions.htm

Medjugorje is not condemned as you say. However, Rick Salbato continously states that it is in his literature. He has been corrected and further he knows better yet refuses to state things correctly and in the Catholic way. He is zealous, and misinformative in this area and others. I'd be very careful to double check everything he writes as much is good, but much is not good but fits his storyline and get passed on as true and verified(although not verified). The man is getting very old and his writings show lack a lack of rigor and fact checking that can lead one astray.
Old Jan 11, '11, 12:41 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
I'm not pointing at anyone (as I have not read anything of Sabalto's or Ronald L. Conte, Jr. or several others for a long time)-just because I found something I believed to be innacurate with them.

Ditto!

Like I said some time ago, way up above... with some of these amateur prolific characters you really have to seperate the wheat from the chaff in what they write and say or you'll be embarassed (or just plain wrong) by things you repeat or pass along to real knowledgeable Catholics.
Old Mar 3, '11, 2:39 am

Quote:
Hey, you're not supposed to dredge up these old threads. You can search and read, but don't post. Next time, start a new one-and you can refer back with a link, for instance.

Okay. Well, if you like Rick Salbato-then read his writings.

I, for one prefer Mark Mallett, who backs everything up with our Popes, Holy Scripture, Early Fathers' Writings, Saints. I also prefer the Pelianito Journal Blog.

I also read http://www.spiritdaily.com/ and http://www.spirit-digest.com/

I read them. While at Spirit Daily, I usually drop down to Earthquake Bulletin and look at what's happening around the world with earthquakes.

I'm not pointing at anyone (as I have not read anything of Sabalto's or Ronald L. Conte, Jr. or several others for a long time)-just because I found something I believed to be innacurate with them. I used to be interested in reading around, and discussing-but instead, prefer to spend more time with Jesus.

By their fruit you shall know them.

We need, especially now, to discern everything.

Click Here: Deluge of False Prophets

We are being bombarded by much in these days. Exciting as it is, we must discern everything. Pray. Know our Faith. There's much good and bad fruit out here.

And, finally:

Click Here: The Mind of Christ

God Bless you.
+Dominus Vobiscum.
Love, Dawn
Thanks for this, I recently joined a discussion group at my church, I was in disagreement with some of the things mentioned and the praise of a priest by the name of Fr Rohr whom I have read up a bit using this forum & others. I am pathetic at debating and was totally out of my depth on my Catholic knowledge in comparison to them and when I wanted to put my side across just sounded emotional. I felt terrible after as I didn't want to offend but I realise how naive I am, time to grow up. At the same time however it has put a great boost in my desire to learn more about our faith and I shall be checking out who you have mentioned, any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old Mar 3, '11, 3:25 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to alexmarison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyB View Post
I shall be checking out who you have mentioned, any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.
The best and most important authors to read are the sainted ones. Personally the most helpful ones are St. Alphonsus Ligouri, St. Louis de Montfort, and St. Francis de Sales. I also recommend St. Faustina and St. Margaret Mary. Probably the best little book I've read though is the one published by TAN under the title: Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence. It is a spiritual classic written by a venerable Jesuit with an Appendix written by St. Claude. The Immitation of Christ is another Christian classic that many Saints have sworn by, including St. Francis de Sales (although I like his Introduction to the Devout Life better). St. Therese of Lisieux had famously memorized the Immitation and use to entertain at parties by reciting verses and whole chapters randomly picked by people. I suggest reading the Saints and the books that the Saints endorse.
Old Mar 4, '11, 1:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmarison View Post
The best and most important authors to read are the sainted ones. Personally the most helpful ones are St. Alphonsus Ligouri, St. Louis de Montfort, and St. Francis de Sales. I also recommend St. Faustina and St. Margaret Mary. Probably the best little book I've read though is the one published by TAN under the title: Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence. It is a spiritual classic written by a venerable Jesuit with an Appendix written by St. Claude. The Immitation of Christ is another Christian classic that many Saints have sworn by, including St. Francis de Sales (although I like his Introduction to the Devout Life better). St. Therese of Lisieux had famously memorized the Immitation and use to entertain at parties by reciting verses and whole chapters randomly picked by people. I suggest reading the Saints and the books that the Saints endorse.
Thanks for your time and all the info, made a note and have a visit planned next week to the city to see what books I can pick up.
Old Nov 19, '12, 7:11 pm
Book Club Member

I've been on Rick Salbato's mailing list for some time. Seems his messages have stopped in the last 2 or 3 months, not exactly sure.

Could be I need to email him again and get back on his list?
On the other hand, maybe he is sick or worse.
He writings are interesting but flawed. Also dangerous and misleading if you are not a
knowledgeable discerning veteran in the faith.

Note: one of my previous posts above about 3 findings of apparitions by a Bishop.
Salbato maligns Medjugorje and Garbandal by calling them condemned which is factually incorrect

RB2 wrote:
Quote:
There are 3 findings that can be made as concerns an apparition

The decision of the local bishop should be one of the following:
1) constat de supernaturalitate (established as supernatural). This would
be the category of approved.

2) constat de non supernaturalitate (established as not supernatural);
This would be the category of condemned.

3) non constat de supernaturalitate (not established as supernatural).
This judgment would seem to be completely open to further evidence or development. This is also the category of Medjugorje and Garbandal.
Not only is this category open to further evidence or development but this is precisely what is going on with the Pope's commision on Medjugorje.

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/apparitions.htm

Medjugorje is not condemned as you say. However, Rick Salbato continously states that it is in his literature. He has been corrected and further he knows better yet refuses to state things correctly and in the Catholic way. He is zealous, and misinformative in this area and others. I'd be very careful to double check everything he writes as much is good, but much is not good but fits his storyline and get passed on as true and verified(although not verified). The man is getting very old and his writings show lack a lack of rigor and fact checking that can lead one astray.
Old Nov 22, '12, 12:32 pm
Book Club Member

Received today:

Quote:
www.unitypublishing.com IS BACK

For over three weeks now my emails ([email protected]) has been cut off from me. I received them but could not read them or even delete them. I spent four hours on the phone with one Microsoft Tech. and then two more hours on the phone with another. They took over my computer and sold me more software but could not fix the problem. I then went to by web host in Portugal , a long time friend and he also took over my computer and fixed the problem in a short time. Soon we will fix and change the entire web site.

In the mean time all those who expected an answer from me, please email me again.

After this Thanksgiving Day I will be also answering my phone again.

Expect a few Newsletters this week.

Rick Salbato
Old Aug 28, '13, 6:44 pm
Book Club Member

In addition to note Rick Salbato of UnityPublishing.com
has been very noteworthy in two things

Our Lady of Soufanieh, an apparition in Damascus,Syria for which Rick Salbato produced
a film and was instrumental in promoting it. A true apparition.

Additionaly, Rick Salbato received email correspondence that related to unmasking the hypocritical life of Ann the Lay Apostle( Direction for our Times). A false seer.

But in a likewise manner, Rick Salbato publishes all kinds of salacious and false gossip that he receives in his email box concerning seers, apparitions, churches and priests and such purported statements are presented as true and verified but are anything but. Rick Salbato is pretty much many things, both positive and negative, to include the king of false scuttlebutt within Catholicism.

Currently, Rick Salbato is not aging very well from a robust mental state perspective. He is old and makes many mistakes, very much additional mistakes over and above the ones he was making 10 and 20 years ago.
Old Aug 28, '13, 7:52 pm
Book Club Member

Furthermore EWTN thought enough of Rick Salbato's(UnityPublishing.com) slander and disinformation that they put up an article on their website circa 2001/2002:

The article is a bit confusing to follow but seems "M+G+R Foundation" was the original publisher of this story:
http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmes...62&language=en

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence