Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 16, '08, 12:55 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic
Smile Why Catholics do not pay 'Tithes' ?

I am a catholic and have some protestants friends and relatives
they are convinced that catholics are not Bible believing by
not paying tithes.Please can you expalin why we do not believe
in paying tithes.!

Jos
Old Jul 16, '08, 12:58 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why Catholics do not pay 'Tithes' ?

What did Jesus say about the rich people who paid much into the Temple treasury (doubtless their legally-required tithes) whereas the poor woman gave only two small coins? Whose gift was more acceptable to God of the two?

I rather think Jesus said that to indicate that it is NOT giving a set percentage of our income that makes us 'good Christians'.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jul 16, '08, 2:14 am
Banned

i thought only jehova witnesses didnt except money
Old Jul 16, '08, 2:47 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog543 View Post
i thought only jehova witnesses didnt except money
The question is not about accepting money - 'tithing' is a system whereby every parishioner is expected to give a minimum of 10% of their income - the Catholic church of course expects and accepts monetary support from its members, but it doesnt' place the 10% requirement on them.

Old Jul 16, '08, 2:50 am
Banned

Post Re: Why Catholics do not pay 'Tithes' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joluwayomi View Post
I am a catholic and have some protestants friends and relatives
they are convinced that catholics are not Bible believing by
not paying tithes.Please can you expalin why we do not believe
in paying tithes.!

Jos
Among other things, tithes were part of the Old Testement Covenant and Law. Jesus abolished the Old Testement and Law.

You might be amazed at how many Catholics DO tithe anyhow, if they were to trumpet that fact to all the world. But they also remember that Jesus warned against Spiritual Pride, of making sure the World knows how generous you are. So most Catholics who tithe make a point of doing so inconspicuously.

And always remember that the final judge of your charity will be God, not a bunch of sanctimonious protestants.

Do I tithe? No, because my Mother is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, and I need to build up a medical fund for her. I'm sure Mother Mary understands and approves.
Old Jul 16, '08, 2:59 am

Religion: christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
What did Jesus say about the rich people who paid much into the Temple treasury (doubtless their legally-required tithes) whereas the poor woman gave only two small coins? Whose gift was more acceptable to God of the two?

I rather think Jesus said that to indicate that it is NOT giving a set percentage of our income that makes us 'good Christians'.
Actually, sorry but Jesus was saying that she gave MORE than the rich people because she gave all she had. They were giving out of their excess, but she, though she had nothing, gave all the money she had.
Old Jul 16, '08, 3:19 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredeemerlives View Post
Actually, sorry but Jesus was saying that she gave MORE than the rich people because she gave all she had. They were giving out of their excess, but she, though she had nothing, gave all the money she had.
True, but it doesn't negate my point. We don't tithe because Christ did away with the Levitical requirement to give a set 10% of income, some people can and should give more, some possibly can and should give less.

Old Jul 16, '08, 3:47 am
Banned

well i have schizophrenia and notice gods treasures being robbed as i fight and replace such things in basic warfare i might make mountains out of moe hills but im sure not as much as the catholic church does needles to say i believe god still gets robbed. perhaps the catholic church treats this sort of thing different im not one to argue however to understand how the catholic church tries to repay this sorta robbery i dont understand
Old Jul 16, '08, 3:55 am

I'm not yet catholic, but I'd like to explain why I don't believe in tithing.

Tithing in the Old Testament is not the same as tithing as we understand it today. It was not a case of giving 10% to the temple every week. It worked on a yearly basis, that rotated between 3 'gving' cycles.

1. Give to the priests.
2. Go on a holiday!
3. Give to the poor, widows and orphans.

I've never heard a sermon where tithing was explained in this manner. It is always a case of "give to the chruch". That is dishonest.
Old Jul 16, '08, 4:27 am
Banned

in my respect i have obtained the riches of the earth (money) one day will find the need to give it onto god.
Old Jul 16, '08, 5:58 am

Catholic Church considers tithe as a total package, not just money. It includes our time, talents, services, and treasures.

We are not required by the rigid 10% donation of our income.
We are called to share our time, talents, services and money, to be the Christ for one another.

I know many Catholics do give 10% of their income. They just don’t broadcast it. Many cannot afford 10% but they give lot of services.

One lady I used to work with at my church told me she could not give more money to the church. But she does all she can to honor God. She voluntarily mops the large sanctuary floor every week. Whenever I pray in the church and look at the sparkling tile floor, I feel proud of her and ask God to bless her.

Tithe is not a rigid rule as many Protestants view it. If one can tithe, by all means do it. We can never out give God. If one is not able to tithe, there are things other than money we can do to serve the Lord. The mentality of tithe should not be "paying" but offering ourselves out of love. God looks at our hearts. The bottom line is to put God first in our lives and give our very best.
And none beside thee delights me on earth. (Psalm 73:25)

Old Jul 16, '08, 5:58 am

Send a message via AIM to John Hiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joluwayomi View Post
I am a catholic and have some protestants friends and relatives they are convinced that catholics are not Bible believing by not paying tithes.Please can you expalin why we do not believe in paying tithes.!

Jos
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

The New Law does not require “tithes” because the demands of the New Law are much greater than 10%. Tithes are based on a division between what belongs to a man and what belongs to God. Under the New Law total commitment and total sacrifice of self is required. Hence, we make offering of ourselves and of our works every seven days in Mass, seven being the symbol of completeness. This reaffirmation of our offering of self and works to God constitutes a complete donation of all that we are and have to the service of the Kingdom of God. (The challenge is to live up to this sacrifice in spirit and truth, and not just in form and words.)

Another poster said that the Old Law’s rotation and division among, “give to the priests, go on a holiday, and give to the poor, widows and orphans,” put him off tithes. This makes sense; this division is a sort of preparation for the New Law. It is easy to see that one is giving to God when one gives cash or a check to the Church, for her support and good works. However, under the New Law one is challenged to intend and make real the idea that when one spends money on one’s family, one does it in the direct service of God and His Kingdom. When one goes on vacation, one should do it in the direct service of God; when one gives a gift to someone who is in need or helps a friend who is in a difficult financial position, one should do it in direct service to God.

Tithing is not the Law of the Church, because much more is expected. Not just 10% is expected; in fact, not just 100% is required, since what St. Paul said of the thief is true of all: “let him labor, doing honest work with his hands, so that he may be able to give to those in need,” (Ephesians (RSV) 4:28). We are expected to produce fruit, specifically so that it can be given to the Kingdom.

Finally, remember the rich man who inquired about entering eternal life: “Jesus said to him, ‘If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.’ When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.” (Matthew (RSV) 19:21-22.) Christ calls each of us to this perfection, either directly as religious who renounce possessions and live a vow of manifest poverty, or, less visibly, as one who is “poor in spirit,” holding and regarding one’s possessions not as one’s own, but as the property and at the service of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Tithing is not part of the New Law, not because a tenth is too much to give to the Church, but because 90% is too much to keep from the Church’s work as the nascent Kingdom of Heaven.

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality