Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 27, '08, 11:41 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Prayer to the Virgin Mary, never known to fail

Prayer to the Virgin Mary (never known to fail)
Oh most beautiful flower of Mt. Carmel, fruit wine splenderous of
Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me in my necessity. Oh Star of the Sea. Help me and show me herein you are my Mother. Oh Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succour me in my necessity.There is none that can withstand your power. Oh show me here you are my Mother. Oh Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee (3 times). Thank you for mercy towards me and mine. Amen. This prayer must be said for 3 consecutive days and after that the request will be granted and the prayer must be published.

I just finished praying this. I prayed for a broken friendship to be restored, and for my heart to be healed from what it was that broke that friendship though I have not seen any results yet, maybe it is restored and I just don't know it yet, I certainly hope so.
Old Jul 27, '08, 12:21 pm

Default Re: Prayer to the Virgin Mary, never known to fail

Be careful in your expectations regarding prayers published with phrases such as "never known to fail" and "the prayer must be published." In my opinion, such phrases should never be written on prayer cards, since they can be very misleading, and the Church does not publish prayers that way. (These things have usually been printed by well-meaning but mistaken individuals.)

We can't be superstitious about such things, expecting that we will receive exactly what we ask for, exactly how and when we want. Religion is not a vending machine where you insert coins (prayers) and get exactly what you ask for!

That is not to say that Mary and Our Lord have not heard your prayers. They certainly do hear your prayers, and God will answer you in the way He sees best and in His own perfect timing.

What you need to do is to trust God that He knows what is best for you.

Think of "never known to fail" in this way: God in His merciful love can bring good out of any broken situation, in mysterious and unexpected ways.

Offer the suffering you are experiencing for the salvation of souls, including yours and the other person involved in this broken friendship. And try to learn whatever lesson God may have in mind for you in this situation.

God bless you!
Old Jul 27, '08, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilotheaZ View Post
Be careful in your expectations regarding prayers published with phrases such as "never known to fail" and "the prayer must be published." In my opinion, such phrases should never be written on prayer cards, since they can be very misleading, and the Church does not publish prayers that way. (These things have usually been printed by well-meaning but mistaken individuals.)

We can't be superstitious about such things, expecting that we will receive exactly what we ask for, exactly how and when we want. Religion is not a vending machine where you insert coins (prayers) and get exactly what you ask for!

That is not to say that Mary and Our Lord have not heard your prayers. They certainly do hear your prayers, and God will answer you in the way He sees best and in His own perfect timing.

What you need to do is to trust God that He knows what is best for you.

Think of "never known to fail" in this way: God in His merciful love can bring good out of any broken situation, in mysterious and unexpected ways.

Offer the suffering you are experiencing for the salvation of souls, including yours and the other person involved in this broken friendship. And try to learn whatever lesson God may have in mind for you in this situation.

God bless you!
PhilotheaZ,

I agree with you! Well meaning individuals say things like "never known to fail", and "publish"....it can be misleading and result in superstition.

All we have to do is pray, and then say, may your holy, wonderful, and precious will be done. (Say it in your own words, and trust Him.)
Old Jul 27, '08, 8:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Dear AaronsStaff,

There are no guarantees that a prayer will be answered with the outcome we want, especially when answering the prayer requires an effect on someone else's free will. God will never force someone's will, but He is a mighty persuader.

The prayer you posted is beautiful, but as PhilotheaZ pointed out, the "never known to fail," requirement to say it three days in a row, and publish the prayer add up to superstition.

Put your faith in God rather than in following certain steps to get a wish granted, which is essentially what these "never known to fail" prayers promote.
Old Jul 27, '08, 9:44 pm

I'm also one of those people who dislike the phrase "never been known to fail", at least without some explanation.

As an example: I frequently use the Rosary Novena, which is a set of six novenas: three novenas in petition, and three novenas in thanksgiving. (In other words, you're praying the rosary every day for 54 days for a single particular petition.) As the booklet explains, the three novenas in thanksgiving are an act of faith, that your request will be granted, not always when you want and not always in the way you wanted, but always in the way and at the time G_D knows is best for you. With those caveats, then yes, it has never been known to fail.

The requirement of the petition being a particular, singular petition forces you to think REALLY HARD about what you're praying for. In the process of meditating on this petition while praying the Rosary every day for almost two months often leads to revelations during the prayer. Several times, my petition stayed the same but my understanding of what I was praying for changed dramatically. Also, there were several instances where I began the novena but couldn't finish it. After a couple of times of this happening, I began to realize that my petition was not in line with G_D's will for my life at that time, therefore I was not getting the spiritual support needed to maintain the Novena. I prayed some more for discernment, and changed my petition, which was completed and answered. (The answer was "no", but it was definitely answered.)

<><
Old Jul 27, '08, 10:17 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: ABC

Quote:
There are no guarantees that a prayer will be answered with the outcome we want,
............... .............God always answers every prayer and no prayer is prayed in vain..............
Old Jul 27, '08, 11:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditionalist Roman Catholic

You know, whenever I've prayed to Mary for something, no matter the words I used, she has never let me down. Just yesterday I asked for a big help--and I very much needed it--and she sent it within a matter of minutes, in a very non-coincidental way. I think if we really need her prayers, she'll will never fail us. I'm never worried about my prayers falling on deaf ears when it comes to Mary. She's the best mother anyone could ever ask for.
Old Jul 28, '08, 7:49 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraTherese View Post
............... .............God always answers every prayer and no prayer is prayed in vain..............

Right, often times when the answer appears to be "no" we've been given something far greater than what we asked for.
Old Jul 28, '08, 9:03 am
Banned

Religion: Progressive Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove51 View Post
and she sent it within a matter of minutes, in a very non-coincidental way.
Did God provide for you or did your Mother Mary provide for you?
Old Jul 28, '08, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimeposter View Post
Let me ask you this: my grandfather used to do woodworking. I still use the chest of drawers he made for my Mom. Did my grandfather make the chest, or did G_D?

The correct answer is that G_D gave my grandfather a set of skills and talents, which he used to make the chest. My grandfather was able to make the furniture because G_D permitted him to. You can say that G_D made the furniture, using my grandfather as the means to do so.

We do not view the saints in heaven as dead or sleeping. We view them as alive, with the same likes and loves they had while on earth, living in eternal joy with our Father. Being alive, they can render aid to us; being in heaven, they can render only that aid that G_D permits them to. So G_D provided the answer to the prayer, using one of His saints as the means to do so.

<><
Old Jul 28, '08, 9:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzhik View Post
Let me ask you this: my grandfather used to do woodworking. I still use the chest of drawers he made for my Mom. Did my grandfather make the chest, or did G_D?

The correct answer is that G_D gave my grandfather a set of skills and talents, which he used to make the chest. My grandfather was able to make the furniture because G_D permitted him to. You can say that G_D made the furniture, using my grandfather as the means to do so.

We do not view the saints in heaven as dead or sleeping. We view them as alive, with the same likes and loves they had while on earth, living in eternal joy with our Father. Being alive, they can render aid to us; being in heaven, they can render only that aid that G_D permits them to. So G_D provided the answer to the prayer, using one of His saints as the means to do so.

<><
Your analogy is contradictory to the Catholic doctrine of free will.

Your Grandfather made the Chest of drawers. By his own free will, he undertook training to become a carpenter and by his own free will, he chose to make the chest of drawers.

If he had chosen not to make the drawers, it was he who was not making the drawers and not God who was not making the drawers.
Old Jul 28, '08, 10:41 am

Quote:
Your analogy is contradictory to the Catholic doctrine of free will.
Muzhik's response is not contradictory to any Catholic doctrine. He is simply acknowledging that none of us — living on earth or in heaven — can do anything apart from God. If we say that Mary or one of the saints does something for us, we are saying that they obtained it for us from God.
Old Jul 28, '08, 10:46 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilotheaZ View Post
we are saying that they obtained it for us from God.
Ok, I get it now....that's a clear explanation.
Old Jul 28, '08, 10:47 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
She intercedes for us, who do you think she is praying to on our behalf?
"A child is God's greatest gift to the family, to the nation, to the world. The child is a life from God, created in the image of God, created for great things, to love and to be loved."--Blessed Mother Teresa
Old Sep 10, '10, 8:32 am
Observing Member

O most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven. Blessed Mother of The Son of God. Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this, my necessity. There are none who can withstand your power.

O star of the sea, help me and show me herein you are my Mother (make request).

O Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee (three times). Holy Mary I place this cause in your hands (three times). Thank you for your mercy towards me and mine.

This prayer must be said for three days and after that the request will be granted (will never fail).

This prayer must be published immediately.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality