Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 28, '08, 7:29 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Tithing while in severe debt

I continue to tithe 10% of our before tax income in spite of SEVERE debt which includes overdue property taxes and utility bills, as well as maxed out overdue credit cards. We are starting back on the right track (with budgets and such) but I wanted to know whether I am doing the right thing by continuing with our regular tithe or if it is financially irresponsible? (it is hard to tell when the electric is shut off )

Thank you and God Bless!
Old Jul 28, '08, 8:35 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Tithing while in severe debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningbeam View Post
I continue to tithe 10% of our before tax income in spite of SEVERE debt which includes overdue property taxes and utility bills, as well as maxed out overdue credit cards. We are starting back on the right track (with budgets and such) but I wanted to know whether I am doing the right thing by continuing with our regular tithe or if it is financially irresponsible? (it is hard to tell when the electric is shut off )

Thank you and God Bless!
I'm not sure if this is serious or not. On the chance that it is, I'll point out that the Church doesn't require you to tithe.

If you're sitting in the dark and in dnager of losing your home to overdue property taxes, you need to work with a financial counselor.

It's important to support the church, but that can come through giving time and talent and easing up on the treasure for now.
Old Jul 28, '08, 8:40 am
Observing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
I'm not sure if this is serious or not.
I am sorry I gave the impression that I was not serious. I'm trying to keep at least a sense of humor about the entire situation otherwise it would be too overwhelming.
Old Jul 28, '08, 8:45 am

Have you identified what has gotten you in this situation?
Old Jul 28, '08, 8:56 am
Observing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAnnie View Post
Have you identified what has gotten you in this situation?
Yes and drastic changes have been made. Without going into too much detail I'll only say that I was not aware of ANY financial issue until a month ago. I have since taken complete financial control of the household and put together a financial plan. I didn't know what to do about the tithing though b/c I WANT to (at the very least) do what is asked of me.
Old Jul 28, '08, 9:01 am
Prayer Warrior

I find it inspiring that you would still tithe and make sacrifices to do so. I try to tithe but am on a small budget and sometimes giving to the the Church gets pushed last on my list. I try to make it up when I have a windfall.
Old Jul 28, '08, 9:03 am

Exclamation Re: Tithing while in severe debt

The widows mite, not 10th of living, but penitant heart, pray to Saint Philomena (her Novena- for 9 or 16 days) for aid, and don't continue to teeth beyond your means, rather- put effort into the church through action.

Veritus Tecum,
Marc
Old Jul 28, '08, 10:08 am

Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

It sounds as if you have gone above and beyond with regard to your church support. Now, however, I feel that you must use some God-given common sense.

First, actual "tithing" is not a Catholic notion (unfortunately, some Catholics are notoriously cheap and feel that parishes run on air, not money; you are clearly not among them.) Here, we are encouraged to give, if feasible, about 5% of TAKE HOME income to the parish, with another 5% to various charities we choose; tuition to Catholic schools is considered in this total.

The point is not a certain percentage however, but that you are giving back to God, through the parish and in other ways. You are also bound to take care of your family; it sounds as if you are doing this, now that you know there is a problem. You're on the right track, and your heart is in the right place. I think that you should feel no guilt whatsoever about taking a financial breather to get your house in order. Then, take a good hard look at finances and set aside an amount for "sacrificial giving" that supports your parish while still leaving enough money to provide for your family and pay the bills.

God bless.
Old Jul 28, '08, 1:31 pm

Whenever you get you pay check give some of it back to God and save some of it for yourself . I like the 10/10/80 plan . Give 10% save 10% and live on 80 % . We can't do this right now but it is our goal . We are more of a 5/5/90 . But that's okay !!! As hard as it is to run my household I know that many people have it much worse . Even when we could only had 1% ,we gave it cheerfully. Giving really helps me to feel more grateful for what I have . You have to start a savings plan . If you don't have a little set aside you will end up charging unexpected expences and that will put you right back where you started . Don't be afraid to talk to your creditors . Most of them will work with you . Hang in there . When I'm feeling overwhelmed the rosary is always a great comfort .
Old Jul 28, '08, 1:42 pm

quick related question -

if tuition to catholic schools is considered part of the tithe, does the costs associated with catholic homeschooling count as a part of the tithe? I mean in the eyes of the church and not tax-wise of course.

Just curious since my DD can't go to a regular school due to her food allergies.
Old Jul 28, '08, 2:51 pm

Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
quick related question -

if tuition to catholic schools is considered part of the tithe, does the costs associated with catholic homeschooling count as a part of the tithe? I mean in the eyes of the church and not tax-wise of course.

Just curious since my DD can't go to a regular school due to her food allergies.
I am by no means a financial adviser - just a mom of now-grown girls who went to Catholic schools, and longtime member of a parish that offered those "guidelines" I mentioned previously; as an ideal, 5% of take-home pay to the parish/church and another 5% to charitable efforts, including Catholic schools. Personally, I would regard your Catholic homeschooling expenses as an "investment" in good, Catholic kids who grow into faithful Catholic adults who support their parish, so, yes, I would have no problem regarding those expenses as part of my donation.

The important thing is that we all do our part; "sacrificial giving" is a wonderful thing (give until it hurts a little) but we MUST take care of our families' basic needs, and I can't imagine the Lord wants us to remain mired in debt in order to do classic "tithing" which is not a Catholic concept anyway.
Old Jul 28, '08, 3:01 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
quick related question -

The Catholic Church does not teach that you have to tithe and does not give specific amounts that go to various sources. Meeting your daughter's health needs is simply part of what a family does. If she needed medication for her food allergies you would get it for her and not worry about what category of the budget it falls into.
Old Jul 28, '08, 4:07 pm

I just want to second that the traditional notion of tithing is not a Catholic one, and that your first responsibility should be to your family's welfare. Note too that there are many ways to give back to your parish, especially if contributing financially is not prudent for the time being. Have you considered volunteering at your parish instead? My husband and I are very involved in our parish, yet it seems like it's always the same 5 couples helping out for every event...fresh blood is always needed!
Old Jul 28, '08, 4:27 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningbeam View Post

Thank you and God Bless!
First of all the Catholic Church does NOT require tithing 10% of gross income.

Secondly, yes, I think it is very serious that you would continue to do this despite being behind on essential bills that could result in homelessness for your family.

Please get your debt under control, see a credit counselor, and give of time and talent until you are once again able to give of treasure.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 28, '08, 4:29 pm

Religion: christian

I agree, tithing is optional and shows our trust in God to provide for our needs. I would seriously work out getting out of debt as a priority, then give again later.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014