Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 28, '08, 6:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Helping to fund non-denominational groups

For the past few years I have been involved with a non-denominational Christian group called Intervarsity, only returning to my roots in Catholicism within the past 6 months or so. While working with that group I made plenty of friends and even developed close relationships with some of the staff there. Recently a staff member and friend asked me if I would help out the cause and help fund her in what she is doing to bring people to Christ. Now, since I have recently grown much closer to my Catholic faith I see that this might create some problems. Personally I would much rather give my money to the Church, but I am feeling as though I should support them in what they do if only out of respect for the friendships I have built up there. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone offer up some advice?

Thanks,
Old Jul 28, '08, 10:38 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Helping to fund non-denominational groups

Dear BC, Welcome back!

My thoughts on your question...
Would you see your way clear to explain that you have returned to your Catholic roots and desire to support the Church's means to evangelize and serve in charity? If your friends are truly your friends, should they not understand this.

Consider this possibility: If in their evangelical work with your money they succeeded in drawing any Catholic away from the Catholic Church, how would you feel? If these friends are truly friends and truly Christians, and I'm certain they are, how could they and you consider them friends if they are willing to cause or allow you to betray fellow Catholics and denying them the Sacraments?

God bless you and all your friends. May Christ's peace be with you all, Trishie
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Jul 30, '08, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishie View Post
Dear BC, Welcome back!

My thoughts on your question...
Would you see your way clear to explain that you have returned to your Catholic roots and desire to support the Church's means to evangelize and serve in charity? If your friends are truly your friends, should they not understand this.

Consider this possibility: If in their evangelical work with your money they succeeded in drawing any Catholic away from the Catholic Church, how would you feel? If these friends are truly friends and truly Christians, and I'm certain they are, how could they and you consider them friends if they are willing to cause or allow you to betray fellow Catholics and denying them the Sacraments?

God bless you and all your friends. May Christ's peace be with you all, Trishie
Here is an interesting twist to it though... I am a college student and I have one semester left to choose what groups I will be taking part in. This group in particular accepts any denomination, including Catholics, and I know many Catholics there that have fallen away or are falling away. I have talked to my FOCUS study leader and he things that I should continue to participate in the non-denom group as a way to get a voice out to Catholics and to raise questions to those who aren't Catholic. Personally I think it will be very difficult to keep going since now I have to come the realization that that isn't where the full truth is.

I am wary that choosing not to give money to certain people might cause some bridges to be broken. I can't refuse to donate money because I don't support what they are doing, yet still participate in it. I kind of feel that I need to go one route or the other; either I give money and keep going to draw people to the Church, or refuse support and not go back...

Thoughts?
Old Jul 30, '08, 5:25 pm

You could take a lead from our Holy Father and recognize the need for all Christians to work together on beliefs we share - like serving the poor, sick, inprisoned, etc.

So you could say something like your Church is something that now you feel compelled to support (they will surely understand that), so instead of continuing to support their church's efforts, why don't we band together and make a donation/volunteer some time to a local soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc.? That will show your interest in continuing to work with them, yet recognize your change in priorities....
Old Jul 30, '08, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconVocation View Post
You could take a lead from our Holy Father and recognize the need for all Christians to work together on beliefs we share - like serving the poor, sick, inprisoned, etc.

So you could say something like your Church is something that now you feel compelled to support (they will surely understand that), so instead of continuing to support their church's efforts, why don't we band together and make a donation/volunteer some time to a local soup kitchen, homeless shelter, etc.? That will show your interest in continuing to work with them, yet recognize your change in priorities....
The problem with this is that service isn't a very big part of the organization (it's not a church, it's a youth group). Sure, they do have some service opportunities, but not many. I would rather do it through the Church anyway.

I feel like the whole time that I with them I am immersed in theology that I don't agree with. The only motivation I have to continue going is to work to bring people back to the Church and keep up with friends that I have made there, there aren't many opportunities where I can contribute to joint Christian endeavors.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014