Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 29, '08, 7:52 pm

Default Clerical dress - Soutane, fascia, biretta, zuchetto, mozetta

This question is for the more knowledgeable people who are very familiar with clerical dress:

1) Black zuchettos (skull cap) are for the lowest clergy like regular priests, but are seminarians allowed to wear them?

2) Priests (with the exception of higher prelates like bishops, except during the consecration) may not wear a zuchetto at Mass, but does he still need to take it off (uncover his head) when enter the church outside of liturgical celebrations?

3) I read that priests can, as a sign of their permanent authority, like higher prelates or pastors wear fascias (cassock sash) that has fringes on the ends. However, I notice all the Institute priests and I believe even the seminarians wear fascias with fringes...does this not apply because they are not diocesan clergy? On the other hand, the Fraternity priests do not wear fascia's with fringes (that's how u can tell them apart if they ever get together for a soiree, just kidding).

4) Birettas - is it permissible for lower clergy (regular secular priests) to wear a biretta outside of mass, while not in church? (I personally have never seen a priest wear a biretta outside of church functions, but who knows if they did back in the day)

5) mini Mozettas - that little shoulder cape, what's it for? I've seen some seminarians and some priests wear it. Is it just a matter of formality? i.e. wearing the shoulder cape (black for priests of course) at more solemn occassions? Wiki says seminarians are not allowed, but I've seen some seminarians wearing it. Any documentation?

6) Faeriola - forgive my terrible spelling - the huge black cape that priests wear on very formal non-church functions or when its just super cold - are seminarians allowed to wear one?

7) Soutane (the proper way of calling it) or cassock (English bastardization of the Roman soutane) - what material can it be made of? Cotten? Wool? Silk?

Side question - does a bishop need to wear the black with red lining and purple fascia or whatever color it is, if he wants can he just wear all black like a simple parish priest?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, '08, 7:57 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Clerical dress - Soutane, fascia, biretta, zuchetto, mozetta

I love to see a priest dressed like this. They look so pious...I hope they come back into fashion once again
Old Jul 29, '08, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosetea View Post
I love to see a priest dressed like this. They look so pious...I hope they come back into fashion once again
ya me too, the diocese should make these clerical attire more cheap but of good quality and available (probably have some sisters or nuns make them tailored for all priests)... soutane is more expensive, but lasts much longer than cheap polyester clerical shirts.

I'd like to see the black zuchetto come back, birettas are cool, but it looks very conspicuous is public...the only time I've seen priests wear black zuchettos was in "The Mission" with Robert deNiro and those Jesuit missionaries.
Old Jul 29, '08, 8:08 pm

Religion: catholic

Back in the 1970s our priest dressed like this all the time

When my son served mass, he wore a back cassock and a white surplice. He was a little guy just in second grade..It used to make me smile to see him in them

Everything old is new again..We have a big new Dominican mother house in my area and all of the nuns wear a habit..I feel so good when I see this

There is something about a habit that is like wearing a uniform for God
Old Jul 29, '08, 8:14 pm

Religion: Catholic

There's already a thread on the topic, right here.

JReducation gives an explanation of this kind of clerical dress, which is for secular priests, cardinals, and bishops as well as some orders (like the Jesuits) or congregations (such as the Claretians). This sort of clothing is not for the religious who belong to the Franciscan, Dominican, Augustinian, and Carmelite Orders, so it cannot be applied to all priests.

My parish, for example, is run by the Franciscan Friars Minor. You are not going to see them in secular clerical garb like what you have described; instead, they typically wear the brown habit according to the Rule of St. Francis, although they are allowed to wear the Roman collar in warmer weather. Also, JR explains, in the same thread, that how secular priests dressed has not always been what you've described here. That's because such priests are still secular men, and are recognized as such by Church Law.
Old Jul 29, '08, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaNobis_Pacem View Post
There's already a thread on the topic, right here.

JReducation gives an explanation of this kind of clerical dress, which is for secular priests, cardinals, and bishops as well as some orders (like the Jesuits) or congregations (such as the Claretians). This sort of clothing is not for the religious who belong to the Franciscan, Dominican, Augustinian, and Carmelite Orders, so it cannot be applied to all priests.

My parish, for example, is run by the Franciscan Friars Minor. You are not going to see them in secular clerical garb like what you have described; instead, they typically wear the brown habit according to the Rule of St. Francis, although they are allowed to wear the Roman collar in warmer weather. Also, JR explains, in the same thread, that how secular priests dressed has not always been what you've described here. That's because such priests are still secular men, and are recognized as such by Church Law.
Thanks, but it still did not quite answer my question about the current laws regarding clerical dress for secular clergy and seminarians...
Old Jul 29, '08, 8:53 pm

Sorry it wasn't as informative as you had hoped. I am not quite so knowledgeable on what secular priests are required to wear, though I never had trouble recognizing one, even when he wore the Roman collar. They were everywhere on the campus of the university I attended, thus it was never a problem for me.

Just my two cents.
Old Jul 29, '08, 11:35 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

For secular priests in the US, the norm is the black clerical shirt, black trousers, and black sweater or jacket. The Biretta is optional.

The Soutane is allowed in place of the shirt or the jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCCB
The National Conference of Catholic Bishops, in accord with the prescriptions of canon 284, hereby decrees that without prejudice to the provisions of canon 288, clerics are to dress in conformity with their sacred calling.

In liturgical rites, clerics shall wear the vesture prescribed in the proper liturgicad books. Outside liturgical functions, a black suit and Roman collar are the usual attire for priests. The use of the cassock is at the discretion of the cleric.

In the case of religious clerics, the determinations of their proper institutes or societies are to be observed with regard to wearing the religious habit.
http://www.usccb.org/plm/canon284.shtml

I've seen several roman priests, and one Byzantine, use the biretta. (Said Byzantine was granted biritual faculties for the Roman church as well, and was both Monsigneur by request of the Roman ordinary, and Mitered Archpriest by his Byzantine ordinary.)
Old Jul 30, '08, 10:00 am
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

The outward dress of the clergy is really up to the local bishop. Most bishops do not interfere in this matter.

Regarding seminarians, that's up to the Bishop and the Rector of the seminary.

In the case of religious the outward dress is up to the Constitutions of the religious community. It is up to the major superior to dispense or enforce it. No bishop can intefere in these matters. The most a bishop can do is ask the major superior for what he would like to see in his diocese. Even then, the major superior is not bound to comply, unless the religious is assigned to work under the bishop, such as at a diocesan parish. Also, the religious themselves may request a transfer out of a diocese where they disagree with the bishop's request and the transfer must be granted by the major superior, because the Constitution overrules the bishop.

Whether one is speaking abour religious or secular priests (remembering that not all religious are priests) climate and culture may also influence the bishop or the major superior in their policies regarding dress.

For example, in Germany only religious Brothers and Priests wore Roman collars until after Vatican II. Now secular priests wear them too. Secular priests wore black suits, white shirt and tie. They did not have a tradition of Roman collar. It was rare to see a German cleric in a Roman collar, though some did. Father Joseph Ratzinger always wore a shirt and tie. His brother Fr. George Ratzinger seemed to like the Roman collar.

In Mexico, the government does not allow any priest or religious to wear religious garb outside of Church property except for Franciscans. In Cuba the only religioius who may wear religious garb are the Daughters of Charity and the Papal Nuncio. In China, no secular priest or religioius wears any distinctive garb in private or public, except for the Chinese National Church which is ruled by the State.

There are some religious communities that wear cassocks instead of a habit, such as the Claretians. Their cassock includes the short shoulder cape and the sash, regardles of whether the religious is ordained or a brother. It is the identifying mark of the Congregation.

Not everyone who wears a cassock or Roman collar is a priest. The older mendicant religious and the monastic religious of course wear the older habits or a Roman collar, but never a cassock.

Because of civil law, climate, culture and other circumstances, there is no universal rule. Bishops and Major religious superiors make the judgement call according to circumstances.

Fraternally,

JR

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

How long have I waited . . .
Old Jul 30, '08, 11:23 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

**5) mini Mozettas - that little shoulder cape, what's it for? I've seen some seminarians and some priests wear it. Is it just a matter of formality? i.e. wearing the shoulder cape (black for priests of course) at more solemn occassions? Wiki says seminarians are not allowed, but I've seen some seminarians wearing it. Any documentation?**

The shoulder cape is NOT a mozetta or anything related.

It's merely a shoulder cape that is part of the SIMAR (not cassock, though sometimes called a "house cassock"), which also has oversleeves and deep cuffs. The whole purpose of the shoulder cape and oversleeves was to keep the wearer warm in his home.

It must be replaced by a regular cassock (sans oversleeves) for liturgical function.
Old Jul 30, '08, 5:11 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

note also that Mozettas ARE permitted to Roman priests in some circumstances.

The mozzetta specifically being the buttoned-down-the front item. It's a sign of authority.

Minor Basillica Rectors, Canons, and certain vicars are permitted them in black; Basillica rectors wear them in black with red edges.

Bishops wear them over the Rochet.
And remember, bishops don't wear Surplices, but Rochets.
Old Jul 30, '08, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgel_maestro View Post
3) I read that priests can, as a sign of their permanent authority, like higher prelates or pastors wear fascias (cassock sash) that has fringes on the ends. However, I notice all the Institute priests and I believe even the seminarians wear fascias with fringes...does this not apply because they are not diocesan clergy? On the other hand, the Fraternity priests do not wear fascia's with fringes (that's how u can tell them apart if they ever get together for a soiree, just kidding).
It's actually a symbol of celibacy; we have a former Anglican priest who is now a priest of our diocese; he is married and, although he wears a cassock often, he never wears a fascia. If a seminarian has the right to wear a cassock, he has the right to wear a fascia. I'm not certain about the fringes...

God bless,

Fr. Boyd
Old Jul 30, '08, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrRJBoyd View Post
It's actually a symbol of celibacy; we have a former Anglican priest who is now a priest of our diocese; he is married and, although he wears a cassock often, he never wears a fascia. If a seminarian has the right to wear a cassock, he has the right to wear a fascia. I'm not certain about the fringes...

God bless,

Fr. Boyd
Ahh, thank you Father, however, I meant that the fringes if I can remember meant some authority or permanence

I did some research, and this is what I found in a book called
Costumes of Prelates of the Catholic Church : according to Roman etiquette" (1926) by John Abel Nainfa, S.S., D.C.L.:

from the Chapter on the cincture (for cassocks):
"Irremovable parish priests, as a sign of ordinary jurisdiction, and Rectors of Seminaries as a sign of authority, are privileged to wear a black cincture of plain silk with fringes at the bottom (Nainfa, 59)."

I guess I'm still confused because priests of the Institute have fringes, while I know that most FSSP priests dont. However, a friend who is close to the FSSP said that seminarians wear fascias without the fringes, while ordained priests do. But, I don't remember seeing any FSSP priests having fringes.

FSSP affiliates, can u verify this?
Old Jul 31, '08, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgel_maestro View Post
a black cincture of plain silk with fringes at the bottom (Nainfa, 59)."
I actually think that privilege may have more to do with the silk than the fringes; ordinarily, the fascia is made of the same kind of wool as the cassock.
Old Jul 31, '08, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrRJBoyd View Post
I actually think that privilege may have more to do with the silk than the fringes; ordinarily, the fascia is made of the same kind of wool as the cassock.
hmm, for some reason, i remember reading that they were made of moire, some silk-like looking fabric I had never heard of. But, that sounds totally right, that the privilege would be in the silk part.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism