Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 6, '04, 2:29 pm

Default Anglican vs Episcopal

Can someone explain the difference between Anglican and Episcopal. Some use the terms interchangeably, however, I believe that Anglican is an offshoot of Episcopalian.
Old Dec 6, '04, 2:44 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Anglican vs Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit
Can someone explain the difference between Anglican and Episcopal. Some use the terms interchangeably, however, I believe that Anglican is an offshoot of Episcopalian.
Generally ther term "Anglican Communion" is used to indicate the world wide communion of churches of that tradition. "Episcopal" is the name Anglican churches in certain countries (USA, Scotland, etc) use for themselves.
Old Dec 6, '04, 2:51 pm

http://anglicansonline.org/communion/index.html

May be of interest
This has been our salvation!

Old Dec 6, '04, 7:06 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Actually, "Episcopalian" is a subset of "Anglican." The Scottish and U.S. branches of the Anglican communion refer to themselves (for historical reasons) as "Episcopal" rather than "Anglican." But here's where it gets tricky. Various groups who split away from ECUSA refer to themselves as "Anglican" to distinguish themselves from the Episcopal Church, although it belongs to the Anglican Communion and they do not (the partial exception to this is the "Anglican Mission in America," which is under the supervision of Anglican-Communion bishops, principally the Archbishop of Rwanda, but is not recognized by the Communion as a whole).

In other words, "Anglican" is a broader term, and "Episcopalian" refers to specific organizations within the Anglican Communion. But hermit is right that split-off groups use the term "Anglican," as a way of saying, "we are still part of the Anglican tradition." Indeed, such "Continuing Anglicans" would argue that they have preserved far more of the Anglican tradition than has ECUSA and hence have a better right to be called Anglican.

In Christ,

Edwin
Old Dec 6, '04, 8:40 pm
Veteran Member

"Indeed, such "Continuing Anglicans" would argue that they have preserved far more of the Anglican tradition than has ECUSA and hence have a better right to be called Anglican."

Yep.

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus
Old Dec 6, '04, 9:55 pm
Book Club Member

I had always understood that, in the US, "Episcopalian" came into use during the Revolutionary War, as a way of rejecting the obvious "English-ness" of the term "Anglican". That may not be correct, though, and maybe someone else here who is better versed in the history of the Episcopalians can set me straight.
Old Dec 6, '04, 10:08 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
I had always understood that, in the US, "Episcopalian" came into use during the Revolutionary War, as a way of rejecting the obvious "English-ness" of the term "Anglican". That may not be correct, though, and maybe someone else here who is better versed in the history of the Episcopalians can set me straight.
Correct, in essence, though the term that "Episcopal" replaced (in 1780, originally) was not "Anglican", but "Church of England". Which makes the point even more.

GKC
Old Dec 7, '04, 1:57 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC
"Indeed, such "Continuing Anglicans" would argue that they have preserved far more of the Anglican tradition than has ECUSA and hence have a better right to be called Anglican."

Yep.

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus
I think the ECUSA should just rename themsleves the apostate, heterodox church formerly in communion with the Anglican Church.

They are a big embarassment to the rest of the Anglican Communion which attemtps to keep to Tradtional Christiantiy as they know it.
I am afraid your right most decent Anglican churches are breakaway churches from the Episcopal church whose leadership has gone so far away from traditional christianity the african anglican churches want nothing to do with them.
I have visited some tradtional anglican churches that broke away.
Very catholic more so than the Norvos Ordo mass we have today.
The mass is a tweener between what catholics use to have and what we have today. I respect those churches quite a lot. But alas I chose the catholic church as in my mind Christ Church would be much more than small offshoot started in the 1970's due to the apostacy of the communion it came from.
In a way visiting this Anglican church led me to catholcism. It was so much more than the seeker friendly evangelical churches I visited. Traditional Anglicans know how to worship I tell you that. Hopefully they will rejoin communion with Rome one day. The obstacles are small I think with these break away churches.
The Catholic Church will never be in communion with the Episcopal church in her current apostacy they are barely christian now adays.
Old Dec 8, '04, 8:26 pm

Religion: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabees
I think the ECUSA should just rename themsleves the apostate, heterodox church formerly in communion with the Anglican Church.
Of course, if you're going to talk that way, you might as well say "the apostate, heterodox church formerly in communion with the Anglican Church, another apostate, heterodox Church."

As a former Catholic, I've not been able to supress a few giggles about the more conservative Episcopalians or Anglicans from other parts of the communion referring to the recent "apostasy" of the ECUSA. Maybe they could say "you're more apostate than we are"?

--meanicus_owenicus
Old Jun 14, '09, 11:15 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_owen View Post
Of course, if you're going to talk that way, you might as well say "the apostate, heterodox church formerly in communion with the Anglican Church, another apostate, heterodox Church."

As a former Catholic, I've not been able to supress a few giggles about the more conservative Episcopalians or Anglicans from other parts of the communion referring to the recent "apostasy" of the ECUSA. Maybe they could say "you're more apostate than we are"?
Ha ha ha! Okay, if Episcopal adherents or Anglicans of any kind tried to go further back to their traditional roots, they STILL wouldn't have sound doctrine. Troubled Anglicans, I am sorry to inform you that the Anglican church has always been apostate, and reforming the Anglican church would not be like reforming the Catholic church, because there is no biblical tradition to refer back to.
I agree that your church services are fun, but there is nothing biblical about humming and repeating, or spreading "holy water" everywhere.

Matthew 6:7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words."

And if I am truly addressing Anglicans, once I start babbling I might as well finish. I, personally, believe that the Lord's Prayer, also found in Matthew 6, is more of a guideline.

8 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

9 “Pray, then, in this way:

It seems to me that Jesus was making a point that you should pray humbly and meaningfully. I am not, however, against using the Lord's Prayer, it just holds a different significance for me.
Old Jun 14, '09, 2:25 pm

Religion: Episcopalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabees View Post

They are a big embarassment to the rest of the Anglican Communion which attemtps to keep to Tradtional Christiantiy as they know it.
I am afraid your right most decent Anglican churches are breakaway churches from the Episcopal church whose leadership has gone so far away from traditional christianity the african anglican churches want nothing to do with them.
I have visited some tradtional anglican churches that broke away.
Very catholic more so than the Norvos Ordo mass we have today.
The mass is a tweener between what catholics use to have and what we have today. I respect those churches quite a lot. But alas I chose the catholic church as in my mind Christ Church would be much more than small offshoot started in the 1970's due to the apostacy of the communion it came from.
In a way visiting this Anglican church led me to catholcism. It was so much more than the seeker friendly evangelical churches I visited. Traditional Anglicans know how to worship I tell you that. Hopefully they will rejoin communion with Rome one day. The obstacles are small I think with these break away churches.
The Catholic Church will never be in communion with the Episcopal church in her current apostacy they are barely christian now adays.
We are a bit too gratious to air our laundry in public but you know the embarrassment may traverse both ways. We consider ourselves quite orthodox but of course everyone considers themselves orthodox. The fact that we have differences with our Anglican brothers and sisters is a sadness to us, but we would never stoop to refer to them as "our embarrassment." Nor would we refer to them as heterodox. This seems to delight some few RC's no end. I'm not sure why.

But your abject dislike of us is understood. While I as an Episcopalian disagree with the RCC on many issues, I would never suggest that she was any of the distasteful things you attribute so happily to my faith.

We believe deeply and prayerfully that we are following Jesus. That you do not agree is understood. That you continue to revile us in the language you choose is unfortunate and uncharitable.

http://afeatheradrift.wordpress.com

And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isa. 30:21)
Old Jun 14, '09, 2:29 pm

Religion: Episcopalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Ha ha ha! Okay, if Episcopal adherents or Anglicans of any kind tried to go further back to their traditional roots, they STILL wouldn't have sound doctrine. Troubled Anglicans, I am sorry to inform you that the Anglican church has always been apostate, and reforming the Anglican church would not be like reforming the Catholic church, because there is no biblical tradition to refer back to.
I agree that your church services are fun, but there is nothing biblical about humming and repeating, or spreading "holy water" everywhere.

Matthew 6:7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words."

And if I am truly addressing Anglicans, once I start babbling I might as well finish. I, personally, believe that the Lord's Prayer, also found in Matthew 6, is more of a guideline.

8 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

9 “Pray, then, in this way:

It seems to me that Jesus was making a point that you should pray humbly and meaningfully. I am not, however, against using the Lord's Prayer, it just holds a different significance for me.
For a first time poster, you sure don't mince words. I might suggest that what you think you know about the Episcopal church is vastly exceeded by what you don't know. I have no idea what your "humming" reference is to. And we don't sprinkle holy water. Neither are our services "fun" but actually very reverent, and worshipful. Your opinons on the Lord's Prayer are duly noted and will be sent to our Bishop. I'm sure he is waiting for your input. Just exactly who are you again?

http://afeatheradrift.wordpress.com

And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isa. 30:21)
Old Jun 14, '09, 2:30 pm

Religion: None

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!
Old Jun 14, '09, 6:41 pm

The Episcopalians never refer to the conservative Anglicans as "our embarrassment" indeed. They just sue the pants off of Anglicans and try to take away their church property and leave them out in the cold. Yeah, real brotherly and charitable! Sad to imagine that some of these conservatives are going to lose their parish halls only to have those halls filled with gay marriages, yoga classes, divorce ceremonies, and carbon footprint town hall meetings...

In the Diocese of San Joaquin, Bishop Schofield told any parish that didn't agree with the diocese's decision to leave the TEC that they were free to continue to stay with TEC with no hard feelings or punishment, litigation, or disagreement. Schofield, being the honorable and classy man that he is, kept his promise. Now the TEC is suing the pants off every parish and the SJ Diocese trying to take away church property and even schools. Now that's the meaning of charity! It's so hilarious to read the liberal Episcopalians ranting about charity, kindness, openness and their favorite--"tolerance" (aka gay rights agenda) and yet in their tolerance and charity they use litigation to run people into the ground...nice!
Old Jun 14, '09, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleve View Post
Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

That is priceless!! This thread really came back from the dead!!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions