Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 9, '08, 5:57 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Best catholic Bible version to read?

So, Which is it? I have a plethora of versions, And I can't decide which is most accuratwe and which is in common with most other catholics and Catholic Apologists. I find I am not very comfortable with the NAB, as the notes seem to contradict the inspiration of the scriptures, on the other hand, they do point out alot of places where the Gospels differ significantly (another of my problems)... Thanks to all who reply
Old Aug 9, '08, 6:27 pm
Banned

Default Re: Best catholic Bible version to read?

I would read the Douay-Rheims. It is the Latin Vulgate in English. Honestly if you don't care for the NAB you might want to try the Jerusalem Bible. I would most certainly stay away from the RSV-CE at all costs. Something doesn't strike me of a Protestant based Catholic Edition. I have my reasons for reading the Douay-Rheims, but those are my personal views. The choice is really up to you.
Old Aug 9, '08, 6:51 pm

Navarre
Old Aug 9, '08, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinatorstark View Post
I would read the Douay-Rheims. It is the Latin Vulgate in English. Honestly if you don't care for the NAB you might want to try the Jerusalem Bible. I would most certainly stay away from the RSV-CE at all costs. Something doesn't strike me of a Protestant based Catholic Edition. I have my reasons for reading the Douay-Rheims, but those are my personal views. The choice is really up to you.
I think I see where you are going, but the one I have been reading the mmost is the rsv-ce/ignatius bible, though it seems to be the one officially adopted in the catechism as well as the closest to the vulgate/rheims but in modern english. I think I will get a copy of the douay though, do alot of catholics read the douay still?
Old Aug 9, '08, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman 1 View Post
I think I see where you are going, but the one I have been reading the mmost is the rsv-ce/ignatius bible, though it seems to be the one officially adopted in the catechism as well as the closest to the vulgate/rheims but in modern english. I think I will get a copy of the douay though, do alot of catholics read the douay still?
From what I can tell, It seems that most traditionalists use the douay and most catholic apologists use the RSV - Catholic Edition, I know that Jimmy Akin uses the RSV - CE. Most other catholics, from what I can tell, use the NAB.

It all really comes down to what kind of translation you prefer. If you like the language in the Douay, use it, the RSV, use it. It all depends on what you like. I would however recommend that it is a catholic version, has Deuterocanon, and it has an imprimatur.
Old Aug 9, '08, 7:32 pm

Quote:
What do you have against the RSV - CE? That is the bible that I use. I know that Jimmy Akin also uses that bible version and he has a background in greek. What do you have against it?
Old Aug 9, '08, 7:32 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman 1 View Post
The RSV is used in the Catechism, in official English translations of Church documents, and the Pope's writings in English. I'd pick that track record over the what anyone here has to say.

Its Protestant/ecumenical origins do not detract from its beauty and accuracy, especially considering that it has been further tightened to be more conformant to Catholic teaching, regardless of what others say on these forums.

Old Aug 9, '08, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthos11 View Post
The RSV is used in the Catechism, in official English translations of Church documents, and the Pope's writings in English. I'd pick that track record over the what anyone here has to say.

Its Protestant/ecumenical origins do not detract from its beauty and accuracy, especially considering that it has been further tightened to be more conformant to Catholic teaching, regardless of what others say on these forums.
Exactly, I would agree with that.
Old Aug 10, '08, 7:27 am
Banned

I just find all other translations other that I have read besides the Douay-Rheims lackluster. As far as the RSV-CE, I am just not comfortable with a Protestant based Catholic Bible. That would be like if I were of some Protestant denomination and instead of the NAB there was a NAB-PE(NEW American Bible-Protestant Edition). I am sorry, but the RSV-CE just doesn't appeal to me at all. I know many of the people here don't care for the NAB, but it is what it is and so is the RSV-CE, NJB and the Jerusalem Bible. It's not to say that one shouldn't have the translation in their collection, because it would come in handy for comparative analysis purposes. I honestly don't get what is so great about the RSV-CE anyway. It isn't my decision to say what one person uses for his translation or not,but my recommendation is the Douay-Rheims. Again I am sorry, but the a Protestant based Catholic Bible like the RSV-CE just doesn't do it for me.
Old Aug 10, '08, 9:05 am

Quote:
I just find all other translations other that I have read besides the Douay-Rheims lackluster. As far as the RSV-CE, I am just not comfortable with a Protestant based Catholic Bible. That would be like if I were of some Protestant denomination and instead of the NAB there was a NAB-PE(NEW American Bible-Protestant Edition). I am sorry, but the RSV-CE just doesn't appeal to me at all. I know many of the people here don't care for the NAB, but it is what it is and so is the RSV-CE, NJB and the Jerusalem Bible. It's not to say that one shouldn't have the translation in their collection, because it would come in handy for comparative analysis purposes. I honestly don't get what is so great about the RSV-CE anyway. It isn't my decision to say what one person uses for his translation or not,but my recommendation is the Douay-Rheims. Again I am sorry, but the a Protestant based Catholic Bible like the RSV-CE just doesn't do it for me.
Just because the RSV has protestant origins doesn't mean all that much. There are translation differences between a protestant and a catholic RSV. For example, in a protestant RSV, they use another word for tradition(I forget the specific word). In a Catholic RSV, the word tradition is used. So as you can see, just because it has protestant origins doesn't mean it isn't a good catholic bible.

This bible is also used by Dr. Scott Hahn, Jimmy Akin, Pope Benedict XVI uses this version, and there are all the things that porthos11 said about this bible that make it a very good bible.

At the same time however, I do have to stress that you should use the bible translation that you are used to and feel comfortable reading. I would have to say that the reason why the Church uses the NAB at mass is probable because they want everyone to understand it. In the Douay-Rheims, it has so much archaic language that not to many people who aren't bible scholars are going to understand it. But if that is what you are used to reading use it.
Old Aug 10, '08, 9:46 am

Again, its use by Pope Benedict, the CDF, and the Holy See is a good enough track record for me. So far, only the RSV is the most faithful to the best available original-language manuscripts, minimal translation problems does not use inclusive language, and, contrary to the naysayers here, no doctrinal problems whatsoever.

I don't know why the the NAB or JB is used in lectionaries worldwide, but the CDF has wisely used the RSV and, to a minimal extent, the NRSV, not the NAB or JB, or Douay in its official English translation of the Catechism, the norm for all Catholic teaching.

So I will not make myself holier or smarter than the Pope. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

As for those who prefer the Douay or whatever, prefer it by all means. Use it by all means. But I see no reason to diss other translations unless they are truly weird, like the NWT.

Old Aug 10, '08, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate12387 View Post
Just because the RSV has protestant origins doesn't mean all that much. There are translation differences between a protestant and a catholic RSV. For example, in a protestant RSV, they use another word for tradition(I forget the specific word). In a Catholic RSV, the word tradition is used. So as you can see, just because it has protestant origins doesn't mean it isn't a good catholic bible.
The Protestant RSV does not translate "paradosis" as anything but "tradition." You're thinking of the NIV, which translates "paradosis" as "tradition" when it means something bad, and "teaching" when it means something good. The RSV in its original Protestant edition does no such thing.

However, the Protestant RSV does use "highly favored" in the angelic greeting of Lk 1:28. THIS has been changed to the more Catholic "full of grace."

Original RSV-CE's also used "young woman" in Isaiah 7:14 while its parallel in Matthew 1:23 has "virgin." The new Ignatius edition has "virgin" in both places.

Old Aug 10, '08, 10:15 am
Banned

That is fine that you all see the RSV-CE as a Bible to read. I would just assume not to even read it unless I absolutely have to. I just don't think it has any business to be involved with the Catholic Church. Call me old-fashioned or whatever. I do the translations of the Bible for worse after Vatican II. Not to knock on Vatican II because it did have some fine points in there. It just seems some stuff took a turn for the worse after Vatican II. I am not saying that we should revert back to Latin Mass. What I am getting at is that some standards are little lower than what they should be and what they used to be. If the Protestant based Bible manufacturer wants to produce a Catholic edition, great. Just don't expect me to buy it. In my opinion it would just lead me to becoming a Protestant. I would assume just sticking to true Catholic Bibles Douay-Rheims, Confraternity, Jerusalem. I feel that Protestant Bible should not try to make a Catholic version for the fact I feel they are just trying to mislead us
Old Aug 10, '08, 10:20 am

Douay-Rheims all the way!
Old Aug 10, '08, 10:25 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusVult_90 View Post
Douay-Rheims all the way!
Why do you feel that way??? I know why I feel that way. I just want to know how someone else who possibly feels the same way I do about the Douay-Rheims. Also, what keeps you from reading other translations as opposed the Douay-Rheims
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture