Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > CA Book Club: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 10, '08, 1:43 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default What motivates you to read?

Well, we're part of the book club, so I think we can leap from the postulate that you read .

But part of our reason for joining is to look at books from a catholic perspective. My question to you is what makes you do that?

For me, it is a search for truth. There is only so much language can provide, as a single term can encompass many meanings. Through fictional works such as Tolkien and indeed the legends and myths in Scripture, we can be shown fundamental truths that resound within us far more than a simple definition or study; it is very limiting.

So what motivates you to read, and to look at things from a catholic perspective?

English, male, single, 20.

Currently studying: MPhys Astrophysics with Astronomy and Space Science
Old Aug 10, '08, 2:20 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: What motivates you to read?

Reading just feels good. It's soft like sleep.
Ár n-athair, atá ar neamh, Go naofar d'ainm. Go tdaga do riocht.Go ndéantar do thoil ar an talamh, Mar dhéantar ar neamh. Ár n-arán lathiúl tabhair dúinn inniú, Agus maith dúinn ár bhfiacha, Mar mhaithimid dár bhfeichiúnaithe féin. Agus n'a lig sinn I gcathú, ach saor sinn ó olc. Amen.
Old Aug 14, '08, 12:10 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

I love books and love to read; I always have. I don't know where it comes from.
Old Aug 17, '08, 5:37 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I love to read fantasy that makes me think. And since I think a lot about Catholicism, my thoughts regarding the fantasy I read are like fitting its themes into my perception of the world. I usually still end up with a Catholic one
Old Nov 17, '08, 7:55 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - with great appreciaion for Byzantine rites

I think it was in that movie a while back with Anthony Hopkins about C.S. Lewis - one of Lewis' students said something like, we read in order to be reminded that we are not alone.

I also read because I don't have the discipline or money to sit in a classroom. I love what the character in the movie "Good Will Hunting" said about getting a $150K education for a buck-fifty in library late fees.
Old Nov 20, '08, 6:36 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

At the moment, most of the books I am reading are related directly to Catholicism, as I am in the process of attending RCIA and converting. Sometimes it feels like I cannot read fast enough...like having gone all day without a meal and coming home to a banquet.

I just finished Bishop Sheen's autobiography, Treasure in Clay, and raved about it so much that my mother, a devout Congregationalist, asked me to send it to her.

So the short answer is, these days I am reading as if my life depended on it...because it does.
Old Nov 23, '08, 4:45 am
Book Club Member

Welcome home, Stella76. And I can relate - I went through the same thing (and am still in it). One thing I would suggest, keep a list of the books you read because people will be asking. I keep a group of lists at amazon and add to them as I read something new:
Stratiotes' Lists I hope you find some things there to help you as well.
Old Nov 23, '08, 5:08 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archus View Post
Well, we're part of the book club, so I think we can leap from the postulate that you read .

But part of our reason for joining is to look at books from a catholic perspective. My question to you is what makes you do that?

For me, it is a search for truth. There is only so much language can provide, as a single term can encompass many meanings. Through fictional works such as Tolkien and indeed the legends and myths in Scripture, we can be shown fundamental truths that resound within us far more than a simple definition or study; it is very limiting.

So what motivates you to read, and to look at things from a catholic perspective?
I read Catholic literature in order to affirm Catholic truths. I loved Brideshead Revisited. Evelyn Waugh had so many character flaws of his own, that I'm reassured by his Christian journey and the journeys of his characters. Also, The Red Horse, by Eugenio Corti, is phenomenal.

However, my all time favorite nonfiction work is What Jesus Saw From the Cross, by A. G. Sertillanges. I take it with me to adoration most weeks. The back cover refers to it as "a retreat, a pilgrimage, and a holy hour - all in one book!"
Old Nov 23, '08, 10:10 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I don't like to read. Too lazy too. Watching EWTN has moving pictures, too. But some books are impossibly interesting, like Mass of the Early Christians mentioned on nearby thread.
  • And the remarkeable 1900 Bible topic A Textual Concordance of the Holy Scriptures with 18,000 Bible berses fully quoted, Published 100 years ago by Fr Williams. Thought it wasn't in the Bible? Surprise! So Very Much is, seemingly everything.
Or the Bible itself!
  • The big surprises factor of Must Read Catholic books does get my fervent reading attention. And the Church has such a rich culture, greaterst Wisdoms Saints, history that one quickly finds Catholic Reading is a must.
  • To Learn, to quickly Love our Faith by learning of it, and thereby Appreciating it more fully.
Old Nov 26, '08, 10:41 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratiotes View Post
Welcome home, Stella76. And I can relate - I went through the same thing (and am still in it). One thing I would suggest, keep a list of the books you read because people will be asking. I keep a group of lists at amazon and add to them as I read something new:
Stratiotes' Lists I hope you find some things there to help you as well.
That's a great tip, Stratiotes; thank you!!
*Stella
Old Dec 1, '08, 8:01 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I'm more into nonfiction versus fiction. And, like many others in here, I lean toward Catholic-themed books.
Old Dec 3, '08, 4:33 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedRosary3 View Post
I'm more into nonfiction versus fiction. And, like many others in here, I lean toward Catholic-themed books.
I love to read and I am known never to leave the house without my current book in my bag.
I enjoy fiction / historical fiction/catholic authors/mysteries /biographies et al.
What motivates me to read a particular book is the theme of the book, the first page is crucial to catch my interest and who or what the book is about.
great writing style helps a lot as well.
Old Dec 5, '08, 11:12 am
Book Club Member

My interests are varied and I pretty regularly finish a couple books a week. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 depending on how busy life is that week.

For more than 30 years I've fed an interest in unconventional warfare history and I'd love to be able to teach it someday. So I go through a lot of books on that topic. However, to pay the bills I started fiddling with computers years ago and am a software engineer by trade so I read a fair amount of technical books to be better at my job. I also have an interest in Physics so I read a lot of physics books. And I have gained a love of theology and church history in the past 20 years and read a lot of that as well-and I teach RCIA and a Church history class at our parish so I read to keep that fresh. I like Philosophy almost as much as theology. For fiction I prefer historical fiction but I'm obnoxiously opinionated about it being historically accurate. I also like really good Science Fiction once in a while (Heinlein, Asimov, AC Clark, Orson Scott Card....). And I love good literature from Shakespeare to Faulkner.

Scripture and Catholic books are the high-protein food and the other books are filler but still nourishing - though in lesser degrees perhaps. Television is the candy I could live without - and I still somehow manage to watch too much television (any is too much IMO) despite trying to fill every spare moment with books.

When it comes down to it, I'm just a book junky - I'm not happy unless I have a book in my pocket that I can read or skim on a moment's notice and I might be interested in Shakespeare one day and Fermi the next. One day I can't get enough good literature or fiction and the next I want to dig into recent particle physics news. I know there are others with this same sickness - I hope it doesn't get any better
Old Jan 22, '09, 3:55 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Books about Catholicism and Christianity in general is a very interesting field, especially going back to history.
Why do I read them?
The average Christian or Catholic rarely spend enough time reading about his faith. So when somebody challenges me to account for that, I feel it is my duty to know the answers. And that can only happen if I read enough!
But there's never enough!
Old Jan 23, '09, 11:45 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Protestant (Methodist) wanting to come home.

I'm a reader. I read. I breathe, I eat, drink, sleep and read. It's just who and what I am.

Having a book means never being bored, never being the guy screaming at the airline attendant when the flight is late (or cancelled)

Reading during your downtime when you are a parent shows your kids that you value reading and learning.

Just don't give me harlequin romances.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > CA Book Club: 2014