Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 14, '08, 10:56 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Saudi man kills daughter for converting to Christianity

From Gulfnews.com

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sa.../10236558.html

Saudi man kills daughter for converting to Christianity

By Mariam Al Hakeem, Correspondent
Published: August 12, 2008, 18:34

Riyadh: A Saudi man working with the Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice recently killed his daughter for converting to Christianity.

According to sources close to the victim, the religious police member had cut the tongue of the girl and burned her to death following a heated debate on religion.

Saudi religious scholars have frequently warned against the dangers of Christian internet websites and satellite TV channels which attract Muslim youngsters to change their religion.

They decreed that watching these channels or browsing these websites which call for conversion to Christianity by various means is against the teachings of Islam.

But that only shows once more how weak and insecure the mohammedan faith is. Poor girl! RIP.
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:16 am

Default Re: Saudi man kills daughter for converting to Christianity

Didnt the Catholic church come out against The Dark materials by Philip Pullman ?

The pope not so long ago informed Catholics to destroy Protestant bibles.

Does that go to show how weak the Catholic Faith is? No, They want to protect the youth and the uniformed from what they believe is a lie, the same way the church does.
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:19 am

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

This is what I would clasify as a Martyr. Not to worry I'm sure she is all smiles now with tongue intact. I pray that her witness softens the heart of her father bringing him also to Christ.

It is interesting to think about the difference between a Christian Martyr and a muslim martyr. One dies at the hands of another witnesses to their faith, while the other dies by his own hands at the same time as killing other people!

Old Aug 14, '08, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Didnt the Catholic church come out against The Dark materials by Philip Pullman ? I would love to read about this, please provide any info where I can read this.

The pope not so long ago informed Catholics to destroy Protestant bibles. hmmm? please provide proof of this accusation?

Does that go to show how weak the Catholic Faith is? No, They want to protect the youth and the uniformed from what they believe is a lie, the same way the church does.
This I'm still trying to think how to respond to your obvious lack of the prohibition of all other religions in Saudi Arabia. All I can say it is not even close to the same!
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:33 am

Muslim comments?
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:34 am
Banned

Quote:
Didnt the Catholic church come out against The Dark materials by Philip Pullman ?

The Catholic Leage is not "the Catholic Church", and if so, what of it? Pullman's works were largely anti-religious, but specifically anti Catholic.

Are you conflating killing an apostate with critizing works of fiction?

Death for male apostates is supported by every major school of Islamic jurisprudence, but I think some just call for imprisonment of female ones. Its not something I'd applaud, in any faith
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:36 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

One of our missionary priests from Africa told the horrible story of one his fellow missionaries, who baptized a Muslim woman into the Catholic faith, not only did her family kill her but also the priest who administered the baptism. Both are martyrs, living in God's heavenly kingdom for sure.
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:43 am

Quote:

Please provide your sources for these allegations----
Old Aug 14, '08, 11:46 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Mertonian Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal-sun View Post
This is what I would clasify as a Martyr. Not to worry I'm sure she is all smiles now with tongue intact. I pray that her witness softens the heart of her father bringing him also to Christ.

It is interesting to think about the difference between a Christian Martyr and a muslim martyr. One dies at the hands of another witnesses to their faith, while the other dies by his own hands at the same time as killing other people!

According to the Declarations of the Catholic Church she is not necessarily in paradise.

The most Holy Catholic Church frimly believes, professes, and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics, can have a share in eternal life; but that they will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless before death they are joined with Her; and that so important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those remaining within this unity can receive an eternal recompence for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church.

~Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, 1438-1445, from the Papal Bull Cantate Domino, 1441 AD.

So the question need be asked "Was she Catholic"?

O Lord, I humbly beseech thee to guide me to that form of religion
which is most pleasing to thee for me to follow upon earth,
in order to fulfill thy will here, and obtain everlasting happiness,
in the name of Jesus Christ thy Son.

Old Aug 14, '08, 11:59 am

Quote:

Please give a reference where the Pope said to destroy protestant bibles, first I have heard of that.

I need to understand what you are saying......You are saying that you are protecting the youth by killing them if they don't believe as you? And you are also saying that the Catholic Church does that?

Please clarify what you are saying.
Old Aug 14, '08, 12:07 pm

Religion: I am Muslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathopologist View Post

Muslim comments?
http://xrdarabia.org/2008/08/13/saud...-leaving-islam --> This is a blog about all things Saudi, which is operated by an American former foreign service officer, who is NOT a Muslim. It's read by many people (Saudis and otherwise) interested in KSA, so it'd be a good place to watch for more news on the subject.

This is really sad, I think, and I hope that whoever is responsible doesn't get away with it.
Old Aug 14, '08, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Amy View Post
http://xrdarabia.org/2008/08/13/saud...-leaving-islam --> This is a blog about all things Saudi, which is operated by an American former foreign service officer, who is NOT a Muslim. It's read by many people (Saudis and otherwise) interested in KSA, so it'd be a good place to watch for more news on the subject.

This is really sad, I think, and I hope that whoever is responsible doesn't get away with it.
Since he is a member of the "Religious Police" I'll bet he decides not to arrest himself!

Peace!
Old Aug 14, '08, 12:23 pm

Quote:
This I'm still trying to think how to respond to your obvious lack of the prohibition of all other religions in Saudi Arabia. All I can say it is not even close to the same!
Here is a way to the source:

http://www.newsandcurrents.com/news/...and-hopel.html

Im not saying the Catholic church is wrong, im saying that her/his comment about the weakness of the islamic way, is wrong. I can understand why the Islam says the internet is a bad influence in their eyes and it has nothing to do with the so called weakness of there faith, they want to protect there children who are uniformed at that age from being led a stray and to prevent their....damnation, for lack of a better word.

Also freedom of Religion is a relatively new concept even to the Catholic church. They at one time supported the oppresion of other religions or heresies to protect the 'simple" people.

I think we have to understand that not every one on this earth is living in the same time period of moral development or civil standards. We cant expect everyone to be like the western world. The Islamic culture is still very much living in an Old Testament mind set, where parents had the right to kill there disobedient children. It was not wrong then and its not wrong now.

Also imagine how much faith you have to have, to kill your daughter for your God. These are human beings just like you and me with the same emotions, I would not be able to do it, but he loved his God more than his family. I think that God is smiling upon both of them right now.
Old Aug 14, '08, 12:24 pm

It's hard to wrap my mind around stuff like this. Islam needs to drop the Dark Age mentality immediately.

Quote:
The Islamic culture is still very much living in an Old Testament mind set, where parents had the right to kill there disobedient children. It was not wrong then and its not wrong now.
That is crazy talk.

Last edited by Walden; Aug 14, '08 at 12:27 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Aug 14, '08, 12:32 pm

Religion: I am Muslim

Quote:
Since he is a member of the "Religious Police" I'll bet he decides not to arrest himself!

Peace!
I'm sorry, but what exactly did you intend to convey with this comment?

The religious police equals 1 man? When policemen in your country commit crimes are they not held to account?

Moreover, there are also legal authorities in Saudi Arabia that are not the muttaween so really I don't know what you think you're on to. This is a very serious issue, and should be addressed without mocking or making jokes.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions