Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 15, '08, 3:35 pm

Default Bikinis are immodest - why exactly?

From another thread, but i got this was the general opinion: apparently bikinis are immodest to wear while swimming, at least among US Catholics.

Why?

It's an honest question, and I'm really curious.

I don't see one's stomach and back as sexually temtping in any way, so I really don't understand how a bikini is more 'immodest' than a one-piece.

To be clear, I don't think one-pieces are immodest either, as there is really nothing sexual about arms and such...
Old Aug 15, '08, 3:55 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Bikinis are immodest - why exactly?

In my opinion, bikinis look like underwear. If I wouldn't walk around in public wearing only a bra and panties, I don't think a bikini is appropriate, either.

In my mind, bikinis aren't very practical for swimming in, anyway. Every swimsuit I have seen on a woman who swims for sport has been a one-piece suit.

So, if a bikini is generally not "practical" swimwear, and it looks like under clothing, what purpose does it serve? Most of the girls/women I know who wear bikinis are doing so because they want to draw attention to their great figures by wearing minimal clothing at a pool or beach.

I used to wear bikinis, with a swim skirt, because I have such a short torso that I couldn't find one piece suits that fit me. I am very happy I can buy a tankini now, instead of a bikini.

Old Aug 15, '08, 3:59 pm

Religion: Catholic

Careful... you're opening the "modesty" can of worms here...

Opinions will vary... (and yes, this is filled with sarcasm... )
~Women should wear only skirts... pants are immodest...
~Bare breasts are okay for breastfeeding in any location, including Mass...
~Swimwear is only appropriate in the marital bedroom...

Opinions will vary all over the place... just wanting to warn ya!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:01 pm

I am relying on my memory here...

I heard Jason Evert speak once and he explained that the belly button is the "window to the womb", a most sacred part of a woman's body, and therefore should be protected. He also drew an analogy between the "veil" that protects the Body of Christ in the tabernacle and clothing as a veil for the belly button.

My apologies to Jason if I butchered what he said. Maybe he'll pop in an clarify if necessary!

Kathy
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:01 pm
Forum Supporter

When I think "bikini", I think itty-bitty triangles of fabric that are designed to show off as much skin as possible.

I consider bikinis a subset of a larger category of two-piece swimsuits. Many kinds of non-bikini two-piece swimsuits can be quite modest.

To sum, all bikinis are two-piece swimsuits, but not all two-piece swimsuits are bikinis. Bikinis aren't what could be called modest by any reasonable definition. But that doesn't mean all two-piece swimsuits are immodest.

If you were to show me a picture of a bikini that you think is modest, my reply would be that it isn't a bikini. Bikinis by their very nature cannot be modest attire.
... the Second Vatican Council carries with it the whole teaching history of the Church. Whoever wants to be obedient to it, must accept the faith of centuries and may not cut the roots from which the tree lives. - Benedict XVI
http://vinecharcoal.etsy.com
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Beloved View Post
In my opinion, bikinis look like underwear. If I wouldn't walk around in public wearing only a bra and panties, I don't think a bikini is appropriate, either.

In my mind, bikinis aren't very practical for swimming in, anyway. Every swimsuit I have seen on a woman who swims for sport has been a one-piece suit.

So, if a bikini is generally not "practical" swimwear, and it looks like under clothing, what purpose does it serve? Most of the girls/women I know who wear bikinis are doing so because they want to draw attention to their great figures by wearing minimal clothing at a pool or beach.

I used to wear bikinis, with a swim skirt, because I have such a short torso that I couldn't find one piece suits that fit me. I am very happy I can buy a tankini now, instead of a bikini.
Ok... I wear a bikini, and I do love really swimming, but I'm not a pro, so the few seconds the hydrodynamics a one-piece would get me in a one-mile run don't do anything for me...

I love swimming in a bikini, finding it practical for any style, I love the feel of water against my skin, I love that my tummy isn't cold and wet for a long time after I get out, I love the tan I get on my tummy and back...

After a baby, my tummy isn't really perfect, I don't really have a 'great' figure, and I'm always at the beach with my husband and daughter, so I don't see how anyone would be attracted to me because of my swimsuit . My husband's tummy is bare, and my daughter is naked, so why would I need to cover so much more? I really don't think I'm tempting anyone
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Every swimsuit I have seen on a woman who swims for sport has been a one-piece suit.
What about those Olympic Volleyball players?

Editing to add... okay... you said SWIM... you win...
But still... my point is made...

Old Aug 15, '08, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibkc View Post

I consider bikinis a subset of a larger category of two-piece swimsuits. Many kinds of non-bikini two-piece swimsuits can be quite modest.

To sum, all bikinis are two-piece swimsuits, but not all two-piece swimsuits are bikinis. Bikinis aren't what could be called modest by any reasonable definition. But that doesn't mean all two-piece swimsuits are immodest.

Wow. I've never heard of this...

I wear a two-piece swimsuit that ... ummm ... supports and contains everything, giving me the freedom to just SWIM! Because THAT's the idea behind the whole swimsuit thing, right? Swimming?

So I'm not wearing a bikini by US standards? Or am I?
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
Ok... I wear a bikini, and I do love really swimming, but I'm not a pro, so the few seconds the hydrodynamics a one-piece would get me in a one-mile run don't do anything for me...
I wasn't thinking about speed, actually. I was thinking that a one-piece suit is more practical because it is less likely to slip or come off.

Quote:
After a baby, my tummy isn't really perfect, I don't really have a 'great' figure, and I'm always at the beach with my husband and daughter, so I don't see how anyone would be attracted to me because of my swimsuit . My husband's tummy is bare, and my daughter is naked, so why would I need to cover so much more? I really don't think I'm tempting anyone
I think this is where we are having a bit of a clash in cultures. And that's okay. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, just explain how someone could find bikinis immodest. In my culture, bikinis are generally considered to be immodest.

I had the toughest time finding a cute one-piece swimsuit for my 2.5 year old, because I don't like two-piece swimsuits, especially on little girls. But that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_in_FL View Post
What about those Olympic Volleyball players?

Editing to add... okay... you said SWIM... you win...
But still... my point is made...
What kind of clothes do they wear? Sorry, I only follow gymnastics.

Old Aug 15, '08, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA View Post
I am relying on my memory here...

I heard Jason Evert speak once and he explained that the belly button is the "window to the womb", a most sacred part of a woman's body, and therefore should be protected. He also drew an analogy between the "veil" that protects the Body of Christ in the tabernacle and clothing as a veil for the belly button.

My apologies to Jason if I butchered what he said. Maybe he'll pop in an clarify if necessary!

Kathy
Yeah, lots of mystics gaze into their omphalos, searching for their source, male and female, but I don't get why men shouldn't be required to wear T-shirts at the beach, using the same logic. They have belly-buttons as well, linking them to Eve, etc.
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:17 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow. I've never heard of this...

I wear a two-piece swimsuit that ... ummm ... supports and contains everything, giving me the freedom to just SWIM! Because THAT's the idea behind the whole swimsuit thing, right? Swimming?

So I'm not wearing a bikini by US standards? Or am I?
I imagine your two-piece swimsuit is just fine. My nieces wear true bikinis, and I cringe. They're giving it all away to anyone who looks! But I have seen plenty of two-piece suits that are attractive, practical, comfortable and not immodest. My own suit is a two-piece, and it covers more than most one-piece suits!
... the Second Vatican Council carries with it the whole teaching history of the Church. Whoever wants to be obedient to it, must accept the faith of centuries and may not cut the roots from which the tree lives. - Benedict XVI
http://vinecharcoal.etsy.com
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:20 pm

Quote:
What kind of clothes do they wear? Sorry, I only follow gymnastics.
Only the topic of discussion... bikinis in the sand...

May and Walsh are AMAZING! You should watch them play!

Old Aug 15, '08, 4:21 pm

Quote:
I wasn't thinking about speed, actually. I was thinking that a one-piece suit is more practical because it is less likely to slip or come off.

Ok, I get that, but a good swimsuit just doesn't slip off, one- or two-piece.

I think this is where we are having a bit of a clash in cultures. And that's okay. I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, just explain how someone could find bikinis immodest. In my culture, bikinis are generally considered to be immodest.

Oh, dear TB, I don't get offended by a clash in cultures! I anticipated one, starting this thread! I'm curious! Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated. WHY are bikinis generally considered to be immodest in your culture? Further explanation desired...

I had the toughest time finding a cute one-piece swimsuit for my 2.5 year old, because I don't like two-piece swimsuits, especially on little girls. But that's me.

In MY culture, 2.5 year olds are still naked at the beach... until they're old enough to feel weird about it, when they're about 4-5
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:24 pm

Quote:
I imagine your two-piece swimsuit is just fine. My nieces wear true bikinis, and I cringe. They're giving it all away to anyone who looks! But I have seen plenty of two-piece suits that are attractive, practical, comfortable and not immodest. My own suit is a two-piece, and it covers more than most one-piece suits!
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of a difference between a bikini and a two-piece... You live and learn...
Old Aug 15, '08, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Yeah, lots of mystics gaze into their omphalos, searching for their source, male and female, but I don't get why men shouldn't be required to wear T-shirts at the beach, using the same logic. They have belly-buttons as well, linking them to Eve, etc.
My husband covers his chest in public, even at the beach. So, we're holding each other to the same standard.

Quote:
My own suit is a two-piece, and it covers more than most one-piece suits!
Mine, too. This is the one I have (it's a nursing tankini swimsuit):

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life