Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 21, '08, 7:50 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Anyone familiar with "ripping" audio CDs to MP3 or WMA formats?

I have many audio CDs that I want to rip to my hard drive. I know how to rip, but my question pertains to the file format: which format should I use, MP3 or WMA?

Here are the givens:
1) The ripped file must be CD quality (or very close).

2) The smaller the file size the better (given the same quality).

3) I have no intention of ever burning any of the ripped files to a CD.

4) I will only playback the files on my PC or on portable players that play both MP3 and WMA files.

5) I'll be using Windows Media Player (on MS Vista) to do the ripping.

6) I have no interest in other file formats such as Ogg Vorbis, etc.

7) Some of my CDs are music, but some are spoken word (like lectures). I don't think that the spoken word recordings need to be converted with as high a bit rate as the music. What bit rate should be used for music, and what bit rate should be used for spoken word?

Despite spending a great deal of time researching this simple situation online, I've come up with no clear answers. Can you help? Thanks!

"If there is a risk of profanation, then Holy Communion should not be given in the hand to the faithful."

Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, paragraph 92.
http://tinyurl.com/yq6vp
Old Aug 21, '08, 8:47 am

Default Re: Anyone familiar with "ripping" audio CDs to MP3 or WMA formats?

I rip all of mine using a 256kb/s rate to mp3. I don't see any advantage between mp3 and wma, so since I started ripping before wma, I have kept mp3. There isn't any clear answer, because there isn't that much difference so it comes down to opinion.

The best thing to do is to make some test rips in both formats and see how they come out.

Proud Papa of 3 girls and 1 baby boy: SweetPea (2001), Little Bit (2003), Twinkle (2006) and Ike (2008)
Old Aug 21, '08, 10:09 am
Banned

Religion: Lifelong Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepanto View Post
I have many audio CDs that I want to rip to my hard drive. I know how to rip, but my question pertains to the file format: which format should I use, MP3 or WMA?

Here are the givens:
1) The ripped file must be CD quality (or very close).

2) The smaller the file size the better (given the same quality).

3) I have no intention of ever burning any of the ripped files to a CD.

4) I will only playback the files on my PC or on portable players that play both MP3 and WMA files.

5) I'll be using Windows Media Player (on MS Vista) to do the ripping.

6) I have no interest in other file formats such as Ogg Vorbis, etc.

7) Some of my CDs are music, but some are spoken word (like lectures). I don't think that the spoken word recordings need to be converted with as high a bit rate as the music. What bit rate should be used for music, and what bit rate should be used for spoken word?

Despite spending a great deal of time researching this simple situation online, I've come up with no clear answers. Can you help? Thanks!
WMA adds DRM (Digital Rights Management), MP3 does not have that and can be shared across devices much easier.

Generally, 192kbs is CD quality. Everyone hears differently so all that matters is space. You have lots of it with either format and today's hard drives. You can fit many, many songs and lectures on a tiny part of your hard drive.

iTunes is a free download with a better interface than WMP, so also consider that as another option.
Old Aug 21, '08, 10:30 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Also, mp3 is a much more flexible format. Should you decide in the future to change software or computers or many other things that are unforseeable now, the mp3 format will port more easily. Also, mp3s are slightly smaller for the same bit rate.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 21, '08, 10:57 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to newbetx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechasin View Post
I rip all of mine using a 256kb/s rate to mp3. I don't see any advantage between mp3 and wma, so since I started ripping before wma, I have kept mp3. There isn't any clear answer, because there isn't that much difference so it comes down to opinion.

The best thing to do is to make some test rips in both formats and see how they come out.
not all players are licensed to play wma. So I rip to MP3 always. You need to modify your settings in the MS software to do that. You can convert if you buy wma from elsewhere. There are Freeware packages out there. Some cars now come with MP3 player capability. So you can cram a lot more songs on a CD if you choose to later.

Aloha!
Newbetx
Old Aug 22, '08, 8:40 am

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to download to an MP3 player or do you want to save an archive? WMA format has the full range and high sound quality, that is why the file is so much bigger. The playback is theater quality sound for playing through the speakers at home. For MP3 players, portability is the concern and you can't tell the differance in the earphones or car speakers. Just remember, you can only copy your own personal CDs for your personal use, not for sharing. Mega copywrite violations. And yes, it's tracable through the encoding in the music file.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence