Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 28, '08, 9:47 am
Observing Member

Default Non-Sacramental Marriage

Can a non-sacramental but valid (by dispensation) marriage (ie: Catholic and non-Baptized Christian) later be recognized as sacramental if the non-Baptized Christian later converts or is Baptized?
Old Aug 28, '08, 9:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Non-Sacramental Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicHokie View Post
Can a non-sacramental but valid (by dispensation) marriage (ie: Catholic and non-Baptized Christian) later be recognized as sacramental if the non-Baptized Christian later converts or is Baptized?
the otherwise valid marriage between a baptized and an un-baptized person automatically becomes sacramental when the other party is baptized.
Old Aug 28, '08, 10:08 am
Observing Member

Do you happen to know where in Canon I can find that?
Old Aug 28, '08, 10:55 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Do you happen to know where in Canon I can find that?
Can. 1055 2. For this reason, a valid matrimonial contract cannot exist between the baptized without it being by that fact a sacrament.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Aug 28, '08, 10:55 am

Quote:
I really can't answer your question.. But, I do have a question with the term "Non-baptized Christian".. I was always taught you needed to be baptized to be Christian.. Doesn't matter in what church or denomination, and Christian Baptism must be done with water, in the Name of The Father, Son and Holy Spirit..

Will B.
Old Aug 28, '08, 11:11 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will B View Post
I really can't answer your question.. But, I do have a question with the term "Non-baptized Christian".. I was always taught you needed to be baptized to be Christian.. Doesn't matter in what church or denomination, and Christian Baptism must be done with water, in the Name of The Father, Son and Holy Spirit..
You are correct. The Catholic Church defines a Christian as one who is baptized.

Some non-Catholic denominations are not so precise with their definition and would consider someone who "believes" (whatever that means to them) in Jesus to be a Christian whether baptized or not.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Aug 28, '08, 11:32 am
Forum Elder

Sometime back I had a Jewish couple come through RCIA. Their Jewish marriage automatically became sacramental when they were baptized.

However, they did want a ceremony; so we celebrated the renewal of their vows on their next anniversary.
Old Aug 28, '08, 12:12 pm
Observing Member

Yes, the Catholic Church officially defines Christian as one who is Baptized. However, I've always personally that a Christian is one who believes in the Trinity.

My fiancee is a very faithful Baptist who has not yet been Baptized.
Old Aug 28, '08, 3:04 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
It becomes Sacramental at the moment the non-Baptized person is Baptized.
Old Aug 28, '08, 7:08 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will B View Post
there are some denominations who identify themselves as Christian but do not consider baptism as a mandatory pre-requisite for membership, but have a different understanding, so it is possible for a person who belongs to such a denom to share many Christian beliefs, yet not be baptised.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments