Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 10, '04, 11:55 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question 5 Scapulars carry 433 daily Plenary Indulgences

Anyone ever hear of the Five-Fold Scapular which consists of five very popular scapulars: the outer scapular: The Red "Passion Scapular", then the White "Blessed Trinity Scapular", the Brown "Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Scapular", the Black "Our Lady of Sorrows Scapular", and the Blue "The Immaculate Virgin Mary Scapular"?

Those enrolled can receive 433 Plenary Indulgences daily -- one of which they can keep for themselves and the remaining 432 can be offered for the poor souls in purgatory (One Plenary Indulgence gets a soul out of Purgatory).

Does anyone know how one can be enrolled? It says that it can be done by any priest with the following prayer ...
Quote:
Blessings and investiture by any Priest.

(Rite now assigned to all priests by the head of various orders.)

V. Our help is in the name of the Lord.

R. Who made heaven and earth.

V. The lord be with you.

R. And also with you.

Lord Jesus Christ, head over all the faithful and savior of the human race, who has condescended to clothe Thyself with our wounded nature, we beg Thee of Thine innumerable goodness to bless + and sanctify these garments, designed in homage to the most Blessed Trinity, as well as in memory of Thy most bitter passion, and in honor of the Virgin Mother of God, under the title of the Immaculate Conception, Our Lady of Sorrows and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

Grant that they who may be invested therewith may deserve, through the intercession of thy Blessed Mother, likewise to clothe themselves in body and soul, with Thee, for salvation, who livest and reignest, world without end. Amen.

(The priest then sprinkles the scapulars with Holy Water) and invests each one individually holding their scapular over them (he may use one scapular for all if they don't have one) and saying the following once for all in common.

1. Receive the habit of the Order of The Most Holy Trinity unto an increase of Faith, Hope, and Charity, that you may put on the new man, created in the likeness of God, in holiness and righteousness.

2. Receive the Scapular of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ, so that having laid aside the old man and put on the new, you may wear it worthily and come to Life Everlasting.

3. Receive the Scapular of the devoted clients of the Blessed Virgin Mary, conceived without sin, that by her intercession you may be cleansed from every defilement and attain Life Everlasting.

4. Receive the Scapular of the devoted Servants of Our Lady of the Seven Dolors, so that, through diligent meditation on her sorrows, you may be imbued in heart and body with the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and always remain steadfast in your devotion.

5. Receive the habit of the Society and Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, beseeching the Most Holy Virgin, that through her merits you may wear it without stain, and be protected by her from all adversity and brought to the joys of Life Everlastng.

By the faculty delegated to me by the Holy See, I receive you as partakers of all the spiritual favors of these Orders and Congregations, as well as the Indulgences granted by privilege of the Holy See to the aforesaid Scapulars. In the name of The Father,+ and of The Son,+ and of The Holy + Spirit. R. Amen

V. Preserve Thy Servants. R. Who trust in Thee, my God.

V. Send them aid, Lord, from on high. And from Sion watch over them.

V. Be Thou unto them a mighty fortress. R. In the face of the enemy.

V. Let the enemy be powerless against them. R. And the son of iniquity do nothing to harm them.

V. O Lord, hear my prayer. R. And let my cry come unto Thee.

V. The Lord be with you. R. And with thy spirit.

Bow down, O lord, to our supplications, and deign to bless+them on whom we have conferred the sacred habits in Thy name. May they cooperate with Thy grace, and thus deserve to attain Life Everlasting. Through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen

May the blessings of Almighty God, + Father, Son, and Holy Spirit come upon you and remain for all time.

R. Amen

(Taken from the roman Ritual Volume II. Nihil Obstat: Stephen Anderi, Censor Librorum. Imprimatur:+Joannes P. Troacy, S.T.D. Episcopus Crossensis 18 June 1950)
... but when I asked my priest to enroll me, he said that he never heard of it and refused to do it. How can I get enrolled?
Old Dec 11, '04, 9:16 am

Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: 5 Scapulars carry 433 daily Plenary Indulgences

Hi Sir Knight,

I have a 5-fold Scapular. (Although not yet enroled).

The Red orPassion Scapular.
The White or Trinity Scapular.
The Brown or Our Lady of Mount Carmel Scapular.
The Black or Our Lady of Sorrows Scapular.
The Blue or The Immaculate Virgin Mary Scapular.

As far as I know these Scapulars have each been approved seperate and together by the Church.

The enrolment is as you have posted.

Someone here may have more insight.

Yoursin the Spirit

Pious.
Old Dec 11, '04, 9:31 am

Dear Sir Knight,

This is beside the main point of your post but.... A person can only gain one plenary indulgence per day. And, there are no longer any plenary indulgences attached to the use of devotional objects (including scapulars) except: on June 29 when those articles blessed by any bishop are used and a profession of faith is said.
Old Dec 11, '04, 11:25 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Yes, I understand that you can keep one plenary indulgence for yourself and offer up the other 432 for the souls in purgatory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Dan, OCD
... there are no longer any plenary indulgences attached to the use of devotional objects (including scapulars) ...
When did this happen? If a previous Pope approved a plenary indulgence and it was later removed, doesn't that then mean that the Pope errored in an element of faith where he is suppose to be infallible [sp]?
Old Dec 11, '04, 12:47 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin-Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Knight
If a previous Pope approved a plenary indulgence and it was later removed, doesn't that then mean that the Pope errored in an element of faith where he is suppose to be infallible [sp]?
No, because any given "reward" of indulgence is not an element of faith, it's a matter of practice.
Old Dec 11, '04, 1:20 pm

Dear Sir Knight,

I would have to continue to disagree about the # of plenary indulgences which can be gained in one day. This norm, as well as the simplification and limitiation of indulgences, can be found in Paul VI's Indulgentiarum doctrina (Apostolic Constitution on Indulgences). It's probably online somewhere although I don't know where. It's a very good document and not very long.

The pertinent paragraphs are in the "Norms" section: #'s 6 & 17.

Actually, I think it should be a requirement that every (English speaking) Catholic have a copy of "The Handbook of Indulgences: Norms and Grants." (Catholic Book Publishing, 1991). Anyway, i'm taking this thread further and further away from its purpose.
Old Dec 11, '04, 1:26 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Thank you.
Old Dec 11, '04, 10:08 pm

I don't think that is an accurate statement about being able to earn plenary indulgences (that you cannot be wearing the Scapular, etc. except on June 29 or whichever day). Please provide an actual quote from such a document, which, if you think all Catholics must have, you certainly must have it yourself.
Old Dec 12, '04, 10:36 am

Religion: Catholic as of 3/27/05

Actually, the 433 Plenary Indulgences were supposedly attached to the Blue Scapular of the Immaculate Conception, a part of the 'Five-Fold' Scapular. The 'Five-Fold' has indeed been approved by the Church, though the 433 Plenary Indulgences were, from what I understand, fabricated.

"Tell me, can anyone receive Jesus into his heart and not die?" -- Blessed Imelda
Old Dec 12, '04, 11:13 am

Dear CatholicCrusade,

I didn't mean to say that a person can't gain a plenary indulgence while wearing a scapular, just that a plenary indulgence is attached to the wearing of a scapular only one day each year. The statement from "Indulgentiarum doctrina" is:

n.17—The faithful who use with devotion an object of piety (crucifix, cross, rosary, scapular or medal) properly blessed by any priest, can acquire a partial indulgence.

But if this object of piety is blessed by the Supreme Pontiff or any bishop, the faithful who use it devoutly can also acquire a plenary indulgence on the feast of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, provided they also make a profession of faith using any legitimate formula.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pa...ctrina_en.html

To see the entire document, try that link.
Old Dec 12, '04, 1:05 pm

I think this is an interesting note:

Although religious objects are no longer indulgenced they do continue to be the occasions for gaining an indulgence, when a Catholic uses them while gaining an indulgence. Only the following articles of devotion (crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular, or medal) if property blessed by a priest or a deacon and devoutly used by the faithful, can be the occasion for acquiring an indulgence.
In the third edition of the Enchiridion which was approved by Pope John Paul II and published on May 18, 1986 there is an interesting addition which affects this writing. It is something completely new. In the first edition of the Enchiridion (1968) there is the grant of indulgences connected with the use of articles of devotion. This grant was worded thus: "The faithful, who devoutly use an article of devotion (crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular or medal) properly blessed by any priest, obtain a partial indulgence." The third edition of the Enchiridion (1986) adds, after the words "properly blessed by any priest" the words "or a deacon." From this we see that a deacon now has the power to bless those articles of devotion.

Both editions of the Enchiridion have the following: "But if the article of devotion has been blessed by the Sovreign Pontiff or by any Bishop, the faithful, using it (devoutly) can also gain a plenary indulgence on the feast of the Holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, provided they also make a profession of faith according to any legitimate formula."

The feast of Peter and Paul is June 29th.

http://www.the-pope.com/purg.html

http://savior.org/devotions.htm
Old Dec 19, '04, 2:35 pm
Banned

I bought mine at our local Catholic bookstore. I'm sure you could find it somewhere on the web. As for enrolling, my priesst just did the blessing, etc. and that was all there was to it.
Old Jan 14, '06, 3:44 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

what are the requirements for the White scapuloar? thanks
Old Jan 14, '06, 5:05 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Knight
Anyone ever hear of the Five-Fold Scapular which consists of five very popular scapulars: the outer scapular: The Red "Passion Scapular", then the White "Blessed Trinity Scapular", the Brown "Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Scapular", the Black "Our Lady of Sorrows Scapular", and the Blue "The Immaculate Virgin Mary Scapular"?

Those enrolled can receive 433 Plenary Indulgences daily -- one of which they can keep for themselves and the remaining 432 can be offered for the poor souls in purgatory (One Plenary Indulgence gets a soul out of Purgatory).

Does anyone know how one can be enrolled? It says that it can be done by any priest with the following prayer ... ... but when I asked my priest to enroll me, he said that he never heard of it and refused to do it. How can I get enrolled?
I'm just curious as to how anyone could possibly know that one plenary indulgence gets a soul out of purgatory. Surely only God knows how many and when souls are released from purgatory.
Old Jan 14, '06, 5:20 am

Religion: RC

I think this discussion is going to create confusion for people unless you also provide, at least by links, the teaching on indulgences, and the conditions for obtaining them. These include more than the use of a sacramental, such as confession and communion, prayer for the intentions of the Pope, and freedom from attachment to sin. Search function on the homepage does not seem to be working right now, but that is a good place to start.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality