Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 6, '08, 8:04 pm

Religion: Hardcore Charismatic Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to jesusismyrock
Question The books that Martin Luther took out of the bible.

I will first say for those who do not know me that I am a 15 year old Strong Charismatic Hardcore Roman Catholic girl who only wants to know more and more about my faith and live my life for Jesus Christ.

My question is: What 7 books did Martin Luther take out of the Bible and could there possibly be any significance in it being 7 books that were taken out since (from what I have been told) the number 7 is supposed to be an important spiritual number? (I don't know much of anything about that Idea or if it is fact, I am simply wondering...)

Thanks so much!!

Your Sister in Christ,
Nicole

I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us. --Romans 8:18

Old Sep 7, '08, 12:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The books that Martin Luther took out of the bible.

The books of Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch, as well as parts of Esther and Daniel. Collectively, these books are sometimes called the deuterocanonicals.
Old Sep 7, '08, 5:22 am

No, I don't think there is any significance to the number 7. It just so happened that Martin did not find these 7 books in the Jewish canon of his days and assumed that they were not in the Bible used by the early Church. We know now that he made a terrible mistake on that one.

In fact, Martin wanted to remove certain other books from the New Testament too: Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelation. He wasn't able to convince the rest of the protesters, so Protestants still kept them. But Lutheran Bibles tend to print these books as the last books of the New Testament in memory of Martin's dislike for these. So if Martin got his way, it would be 11 books.
Old Sep 7, '08, 7:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusismyrock View Post
I will first say for those who do not know me that I am a 15 year old Strong Charismatic Hardcore Roman Catholic girl who only wants to know more and more about my faith and live my life for Jesus Christ.

My question is: What 7 books did Martin Luther take out of the Bible and could there possibly be any significance in it being 7 books that were taken out since (from what I have been told) the number 7 is supposed to be an important spiritual number? (I don't know much of anything about that Idea or if it is fact, I am simply wondering...)

Thanks so much!!
Praise be to God to have a young person be so focused on Christ!! Keep up the good questions as you are quite the example for others your age. The above answers are correct and continue with those questions. You can never know too much in our beautiful, ancient faith....................may God bless you............teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old May 24, '12, 7:05 pm
Observing Member

Hello, what a lovely way to get answers to many questions and actively take part and hear other questions. This question on taking 7 books out of the Bible has been on my mind for a while because I wondered why someone would take books out of the Bible to leave 66, isn't the number of the devil 666.
I picked up an old Catholic Bible a few weeks ago at a Christian Shop and found Judith, if there had been a Judith in Hitlers reign perhaps many lives could have been saved. In my search for an answer why it had been taken out, I didn't find, until your answer in this forum, that Luther also wanted to take out other books, especially Revalation where it tells us not to take out or add to, could you tell me if this applies just to the book of Revalation or to the whole Bible please.
Old May 24, '12, 7:23 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

Thanks so much!!
As far as the books Luther did not like the number 7 has no significance.
He didn't like these books because they contradicted his own teachings.
Old May 24, '12, 7:44 pm

Religion: catholic

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawdy View Post
Hello, what a lovely way to get answers to many questions and actively take part and hear other questions. This question on taking 7 books out of the Bible has been on my mind for a while because I wondered why someone would take books out of the Bible to leave 66, isn't the number of the devil 666.

Hmmm....never thought of that before.

Quote:
I picked up an old Catholic Bible a few weeks ago at a Christian Shop and found Judith, if there had been a Judith in Hitlers reign perhaps many lives could have been saved. In my search for an answer why it had been taken out, I didn't find, until your answer in this forum, that Luther also wanted to take out other books, especially Revalation where it tells us not to take out or add to, could you tell me if this applies just to the book of Revalation or to the whole Bible please.
Luther actually relegated the DC books into a separate section between the OT and NT...but he also disordered the NT books into a different order....with the last four books he did not like last.

Here is a history of the bible...in more detail......http://www.catholicapologetics.info/...ism/wbible.htm

As for your last question...that passage refers only to the book of Revelation...the bible did not exist yet...not till AD382.
Old May 24, '12, 8:27 pm

Quote:

Thanks so much!!
wonderful questions jesusismyrock! If the internet and it's forums like these had been around when I was a teen maybe I would've been in in your position that you are in right now. In fact many are STILL learning about the Scriptures and differences in religious doctrines of Christianity and it's many many splinterings off of over 33,000 denominations is the direct fruit of sola scriptura or ''Bible alone'' theology. One of which Martin Luther was deciding which books were inspired Words of God, and which were not. To change or deny the authority Christ gave to His deciples and apostles, Popes, and Bishops in determining the authenticity and incorrupt teachings of the Bible.
Luther objected to the Deuterocanical books because at that time in history there were no Hebrew counterparts to go alongside the Greek translations.
However, research into the Dead Sea Scrolls found in Qumran have discovered ancient Hebrew copies of some of Luthers disputed books! So that the grounds of them ''not existing'' is unsupportable by Lutheran theology and teachings on things in the Bible. Luther didn't like that we as Catholics pray for the dead or to the saints. He did not believe firmly enough in their real presence in heaven with God our Father in heaven. And it is also the re-wording of some of the texts, that Luther himself makes the err of assuming that symbolism and truncating the Bible to his personal preference, will make the theology of the Bible somehow easier to follow, or make people inspired to follow Martin Luther, and not the Word of God, given to the 12 Apostles, and the RCC, to guard, govern, teach, and guide it's followers by.
Old May 25, '12, 10:23 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrinus_sg View Post
In fact, Martin wanted to remove certain other books from the New Testament too: Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelation. He wasn't able to convince the rest of the protesters, so Protestants still kept them. But Lutheran Bibles tend to print these books as the last books of the New Testament in memory of Martin's dislike for these. So if Martin got his way, it would be 11 books.
I'd be curious where you're getting this information. If you could reveal the source, perhaps we could stamp out this myth.
Old May 25, '12, 12:26 pm

Religion: Catholic Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noonan View Post
I'd be curious where you're getting this information. If you could reveal the source, perhaps we could stamp out this myth.
http://www.cogwriter.com/luther.htm

This is a very interesting read.
Old May 25, '12, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noonan View Post
I'm not certain of that poster's source, but pablop provided one and here is another (New and Old Testaments, respectively):
http://newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm
http://newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm
Old May 25, '12, 12:47 pm

Religion: Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

Martin Luther regulated the deutercanonicals (Apocrypha) to a section between the OT and NT. He did not consider these books a source of doctrine, but edifying to read for historical and moral purposes.

As for wanting to remove certain books from the NT- there is no denying that he wished this. The reason being is that he did not see them clearly articulate the Gospel of justification by grace alone, through faith alone. However, Martin was only a man; as noted, the others put him in his place, and they were kept.

The Apocrypha were kept in their traditional spot between OT and NT until the major switch (in America, anyways) from German publishing to English publishing. At this point, they used what had already been translated by others, and it did not include the Apocrypha. Why they didn't translate the Apocrypha themselves and put it in is anybody's guess.

As for re-ordering the NT: Now that is something I've not heard before. Interesting...

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
Old May 25, '12, 4:47 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy92 View Post
As for wanting to remove certain books from the NT- there is no denying that he wished this... However, Martin was only a man; as noted, the others put him in his place, and they were kept.
And what's your source for this information? And who are these "others" that "made" him do what they said? Whatever you might say about Luther, he was not know for his docile theological demeanor.
Old May 25, '12, 9:31 pm

Religion: Crossing the Tiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton View Post
The books of Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, and Baruch, as well as parts of Esther and Daniel. Collectively, these books are sometimes called the deuterocanonicals.
Nope neither Luther or Calvin removed those books from the Canon. They were removed by the English Bible Society during the 19th C long after both Luther and Calvin were dead.

You have poor information.

Luther may have disputed the canonicity of certain books but when he published his German Bible he did not remove any books.

God Bless
Old May 25, '12, 10:09 pm

Religion: catholic

Segregation is the first phase of ilimination.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture