Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '08, 3:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Have any fun food/snack ideas for Youth Group?

I'm looking for some new ideas for food/snacks for youth group. We will be having our "kick-off" night on September 21. I usually do something bigger than just cookies & drinks for the beginning and we usually end the year with a BBQ.

In the past, we have done a build-your-own-sundae snack. We have tubs of ice cream and all of the assorted toppings and the kids file through and put on the stuff they like. This is popular and easy, but I have done it a few times and I fear that the kids will think "Oh...this AGAIN."

Anyone have any ideas of easy, not too expensive treats that would work?

Kathy
Old Sep 9, '08, 7:47 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Have any fun food/snack ideas for Youth Group?

Rotel Dip and tortilla chips.

Chili

Hot Dogs

'Sketti

Make Your Own PB and ? - You have smooth and chunky, Nutella, then different jellies, honey, sliced bananas, sliced apples, marshmallow fluff, a couple of different kinds of bread...
Old Sep 10, '08, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage_ar View Post
Make Your Own PB and ? - You have smooth and chunky, Nutella, then different jellies, honey, sliced bananas, sliced apples, marshmallow fluff, a couple of different kinds of bread...
GREAT! THANKS!

Anyone else???
Old Sep 10, '08, 11:12 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

they love licorice, pretzel rods....and gummi bears.

And homemade rice krispie bars. Big hit!

And the ever popular pizza.....but they aren't fussy, they eat most everything...in sight!
Old Sep 10, '08, 1:07 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian (καθολικο)

Pulling up a chair to get some ideas.
Old Sep 12, '08, 10:31 am

If you don't have the parents helping you to provide snacks, then that is my suggestion. Our parish has a rotating list with multiple families helping out each week because they are feeding 200+ teens. Our teens meet after mass on Sunday evening so they are fed dinner like foods like pizza, fried chicken from Wal-mart deli and the like. They eat anything put before them like a pack of starving dogs, so I don't think kids are as picky as we adults who are trying to think up interesting variations.
Old Sep 12, '08, 10:36 am

Those Chex mix things, but make your own. When I went to camp we had a huge garbage bag full of who knows how many boxes of Chex cereal, M'nMs, banana chips, apple chips, raisins, peanuts, you name it, it was all in there. Then when someone had the munchies, just bring your cup to the big bag and take a cup. It was a big hit with all of us.
Old Sep 12, '08, 10:39 am

Nacho bar- lots of chips, different meats/beans, cheese, guac, salsas with varying degrees of "heat", veggies

Order a bunch of pizzas in different flavors (this is what my department does for journal club)

If you have a way to bake a lot of potatoes, you could do a potato bar- similar to nacho bar
Old Sep 8, '09, 5:32 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Orthodox

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.

calcul financement courtier | simulation pret immobilier | taux credit de france simulation crédit immobilier sera le total du prêt calcul financement courtier | simulation pret immobilier | taux credit de france
Old Sep 8, '09, 5:42 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Make your own English muffin pizzas. . .toast the muffins, let the kids put on toppings. (pizza sauce, pesto, olive oil, veggies, meats, cheese. . .or my personal favorite, ham and pineapple.)

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Sep 10, '09, 1:29 pm

You could set up a nacho bar with chips, cheese sauce, and other toppings like ground beef, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, black olives etc. and let them build their own.
Old Sep 12, '09, 5:10 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

our tradition is a version of Gorp, made by one of our catechists who has done this for many years. it is popcorn, mini-marshmellows, MnMs, goldfish pretzels or mini-pretzel rods, she stopped using nuts because of allergies, I'm sure there is more stuff I can't remember.

you can make "stone soup" gorp by asking kids to bring in one bag of any bite-size snack item, such as those listed, and mix up what you get

a fun project for team-building is cooperative sandwiches
the sandwich items are placed on trays on the counter--meat, cheese, condiments, bread, whatever--and (after everyone washes their hands of course, or wearing gloves) one member of each team is blindfolded and led to the counter. They have to make a sandwich while his team members all out directions.

depends on the size of your group and your facilities, but if you have baking sheets and an oven, get the frozen rolls which are lumps of frozen bread dough, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Each person gets a lump of dough to shape into any symbol that is meaningful to his relationship with Jesus at this moment in time (or related to the theme of your lesson or project). These are placed on the baking sheets, allowed to rise for 15 minutes while they pray for each other, then baked and eaten with jelly, butter etc. (We use grape jelly when we do this for a communion retreat, or you could use red jelly for a confirmation class).
Old Sep 23, '09, 6:44 pm

I know of someone who sold bagged tacos at her sons little league games. Squeeze small bag of nachos/tortilla chips, open and add other taco fixings - meat, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sour cream, sauce, etc. Mix and serve with a fork.
Old Sep 23, '09, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA View Post
I'm looking for some new ideas for food/snacks for youth group. We will be having our "kick-off" night on September 21. I usually do something bigger than just cookies & drinks for the beginning and we usually end the year with a BBQ.

In the past, we have done a build-your-own-sundae snack. We have tubs of ice cream and all of the assorted toppings and the kids file through and put on the stuff they like. This is popular and easy, but I have done it a few times and
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA View Post

I fear that the kids will think "Oh...this AGAIN."

Anyone have any ideas of easy, not too expensive treats that would work?

Kathy
John The Baptist ate locusts and wild honey.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization