Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '08, 7:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default God's will/choosing a career

I have a question. I am trying to decide what career path I want to take (automotive or business management) so I can pick what major I want to take in college.

I am trying to figure out which one is God's will for me to take. I have played a lot about it and I feel peaceful about both. Does God have one career that he wants someone to do and that's the only one? Or does it not mater what career you choose as long as it's morally good?
Old Sep 9, '08, 8:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: God's will/choosing a career

I think that God would accept any moral career as OK. Both automotive and business management are moral careers. However, I think that God wants you to enjoy your career. Which one do you like the best? That is (probably) the career that God wants you to pursue :-)

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
have mercy on me, a sinner.

Old Sep 9, '08, 8:23 pm

Religion: Catholic Theocratic Imperialist

When you don't know what to do with your life: Marine Corps!
Old Sep 10, '08, 8:35 pm

Religion: Non-Denom Christian
Send a message via AIM to dan1el Send a message via MSN to dan1el

I have the same problem, in a sense...

I would LOVE to study the Bible in original languages and come to my own conclusion as to their true interpretations, as my faith has been tripped up from (as I have learned) bad interpretations. One little word can make so big a difference! Since there is a coming a time when everything will be tested, I don't want to be holding onto false beliefs based on bad interpretations of Greek, but... I have bills that are coming to me from having gone to a cooking school, Le Cordon Bleu, in Miami, where I live, as per the advice of a minister, which information (cooking) I truly was confused as to why God would lead me to learn, since I hated almost everything they taught me - but, thinking that God had led the person when he spoke to me, I was confused (I am very health-conscious). I do not believe in eating inordinately pleasureful food; only correct food, since everything is to be worship to God in Spirit and truth, we should consume what we know to be good - and self-control our will and desires to do this as worship to God with this choice. Am I wrong?

So, since I have these bills coming to me, I have to work, (I feel a distracting pressure on myself) whereas I would prefer to just pay attention to understanding my faith - and once a sturdy foundation is in place, destroying disobedience through the dissemination of His true reality, only, in submission to Jesus Christ.
Currently, from the pressures and "lawful" (but tormenting) pleasure of the world, at times, I forget concepts... but I feel more hopeful now that I am fellowshiping with so great a multitude of praying saints... I already sense the grace of God whispering soul-freeing truths to me, thanks and praise to God alone.

What do I do with myself? Trust...? I do not want to follow lusts of the mind... knowledge, etc., but despite this, I fall into it at times - I just don't want to confuse myself by telling myself that it is from God... which I had done in the past... I want to clearly distinguish error from the true pathway to the Eternal Kingdom; I want peace. Thank God. Thank you, too, ministers, for feeding the lambs of Christ.
Old Sep 10, '08, 9:03 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian (καθολικο)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
I have the same problem, in a sense...

I would LOVE to study the Bible in original languages and come to my own conclusion as to their true interpretations, as my faith has been tripped up from (as I have learned) bad interpretations. One little word can make so big a difference! Since there is a coming a time when everything will be tested, I don't want to be holding onto false beliefs based on bad interpretations of Greek, but... I have bills that are coming to me from having gone to a cooking school, Le Cordon Bleu, in Miami, where I live, as per the advice of a minister, which information (cooking) I truly was confused as to why God would lead me to learn, since I hated almost everything they taught me - but, thinking that God had led the person when he spoke to me, I was confused (I am very health-conscious). I do not believe in eating inordinately pleasureful food; only correct food, since everything is to be worship to God in Spirit and truth, we should consume what we know to be good - and self-control our will and desires to do this as worship to God with this choice. Am I wrong?

So, since I have these bills coming to me, I have to work, (I feel a distracting pressure on myself) whereas I would prefer to just pay attention to understanding my faith - and once a sturdy foundation is in place, destroying disobedience through the dissemination of His true reality, only, in submission to Jesus Christ.
Currently, from the pressures and "lawful" (but tormenting) pleasure of the world, at times, I forget concepts... but I feel more hopeful now that I am fellowshiping with so great a multitude of praying saints... I already sense the grace of God whispering soul-freeing truths to me, thanks and praise to God alone.

What do I do with myself? Trust...? I do not want to follow lusts of the mind... knowledge, etc., but despite this, I fall into it at times - I just don't want to confuse myself by telling myself that it is from God... which I had done in the past... I want to clearly distinguish error from the true pathway to the Eternal Kingdom; I want peace. Thank God. Thank you, too, ministers, for feeding the lambs of Christ.
Kill 2 birds with one stone. Join the military... get school paid for and pay off your bills with bonus money. Then apply to become a military Chaplain and go study Divinity in a school of your choice. I had a 75% scholarship for a Masters in Divinity. There is a shortage of Chaplains in the military. My problem is that I converted back to my Catholic faith and there went that one...

As far as the OP...Why not double major. The automobile industry utilizes Business Managers. You could get a minor in Management and then go to for an MBA. That would increase your earning potential and get in do both things you're drawn to. I have 180 semester hours in everything under the son... It's crazy. Why. Because I really wanted to be a priest, but my reason for leaving would shock too many with even the thickest skins. I should have stayed...but I ran instead. Ever since I've been lost. So now I just work to support my family...still trying to get licensed in engineering...but the rule keep changing and now I find myself needing to return to school again. It is frustrating and my heart go out to you.
Old Sep 10, '08, 9:11 pm

I have a criminal record - from before I met Christ - and even though these things have been expunged, the military considers them as undesirable; also, my dad, who was an Army Ranger, told me not to join anything but the Air Force.

What are you saying, that chaplains cannot be catholic?
How much debt can they repay? I guess I could go and check that out.
I am simply a believer in Jesus Christ; I do not subscribe to necessarily Protestant nor Catholic dogma.
Old Sep 11, '08, 8:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
I have a criminal record - from before I met Christ - and even though these things have been expunged, the military considers them as undesirable; also, my dad, who was an Army Ranger, told me not to join anything but the Air Force.

What are you saying, that chaplains cannot be catholic?
How much debt can they repay? I guess I could go and check that out.
I am simply a believer in Jesus Christ; I do not subscribe to necessarily Protestant nor Catholic dogma.
If it was expunged then you could join. Not a problem. Don't worry about whether desirable or not. Take the asvab or what ever it is these days. As far as which branch of the military you join is up to you, not your father. However, I do understand why your father would prefer you to join the Air Force over the Army or Marine Corps. Air Force is more like a civilian job than the Army. It's the easiest military to adapt to. And most people believe that you will not get into harms way quite as quick. Maybe true but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I'm not sure what you meant about the Catholics not being able to be Chaplains. All Catholic Chaplains are priests. If you are an Eastern Catholic you could verywell be married. But if you are Roman or Latin Catholic then the current discipline is celibacy...thus no wife. That doesn't mean a man couldn't have children from a previous marriage or unless given a dispensation like the Anglican priests coming home to the Catholic Church. This doesn't apply to you if you're Protestant. But if your single and want to become a Catholic...come on down... we could use more priests willing... burning inside to serve God.
Old Sep 11, '08, 10:15 pm

Well, I just chatted with someone from the Air Force over the internet today and found that I cannot join because of my record... I'll find something else to do.

My dad knows what he is talking about: the Army kicked him out just as he was nearing the time when he would receive his pension or whatever they call it.
Old Sep 12, '08, 7:02 am
Banned

Quote:
Well, I just chatted with someone from the Air Force over the internet today and found that I cannot join because of my record... I'll find something else to do.

My dad knows what he is talking about: the Army kicked him out just as he was nearing the time when he would receive his pension or whatever they call it.
He may not have met the upgraded requirements on time and rank. If you don't get promoted to a certain rank within a designated time you can be booted. I don't like that. But it is the new Army way. Each branch has certain regulations. The Air Force is much harder to get into. Army is much easier to get into because it's much more difficult. Talk to a recruite, not on a board. There are waivers to be considered. But head the warning, this is a difficult life style. It's not for boys. You must have your head screwed on straight.

You may be better off sticking to a civilian job. I didn't know you situation and only offered it as something to look into. Regulations change from time to time. Just check it out. Don't be afraid of recruiters. If you really want to consider joining you should see a recruiter face to face. That's the best method. And since I don't know any specifics I can't ask one for you.
Old Sep 12, '08, 7:56 am

No, this was like a decade ago or more?
Old Sep 12, '08, 9:14 am
Banned

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...ayCharts35.pdf

Actually if you don't get promoted to E-6 by your 12th year of service you basically don't have a choice unless you serve in the reserves. That is the way it was when I got out in 1989. My last hitch ended in Sept 2004 but I didn't receive my discharge until March 2005 and physically in my hands until July 2005. I assume this is what you were referring to. Sure I could be wrong. Parents have a tendency not to tell the entire story or they are still angry and refuse to either admit to their own fault or something very unjust happened to them while on active duty. It happens all the time. I nearly got court martialed for something an officer did and didn't do. He said I was lying whenI was telling to truth. He ended up getting relieved of duty. Enlisted get treated like dirt. Officers cut throats as do some NCOs. It's a dog eat dog world. You must keep your nose clean or you will end up in lots of trouble that could ruin your life forever.

Consider military very carefully being honest with yourself. Can I tolerate, function under unreasonable demands? If you don't think you can then you'd better stay away from it. I've seen good kids get in so much trouble they get locked up... Be very careful.
Old Sep 12, '08, 12:52 pm

Actually, I haven't spoken with him about this, but maybe what you said happened is what happened, but thx for the warnings about joining!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations