Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '08, 8:29 pm

Religion: Wherever Truth leads
Default Saints Visiting Hell

I'm told by Catholics that saints have visited Hell, led by God, and have been shown the dammed souls sufferings, like:

"an impenetrable smothering "thick" darkness that is like a substance. The odors are also unimaginably putrid and mixed with the stench of sulfur and noxious fumes. There are also the classic conveyances of demonic shapes and terrible demons that claw, eat, devour and torment specific areas of the body that have been used in commission of sin (tongue, entrails, sexual organs, eyes, etc.) and the body constantly regenerates in endless repetition of the same torments."

Which Saints supposedly witnessed these horrific things?
Old Sep 10, '08, 6:37 am

Default Re: Saints Visiting Hell

Thats a first for me.... I've never heard that story. Sounds like a camp fire tail....
Old Sep 10, '08, 6:52 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Warrior View Post
I'm told by Catholics that saints have visited Hell, led by God, and have been shown the dammed souls sufferings, like:

"an impenetrable smothering "thick" darkness that is like a substance. The odors are also unimaginably putrid and mixed with the stench of sulfur and noxious fumes. There are also the classic conveyances of demonic shapes and terrible demons that claw, eat, devour and torment specific areas of the body that have been used in commission of sin (tongue, entrails, sexual organs, eyes, etc.) and the body constantly regenerates in endless repetition of the same torments."

Somebody is pulling your leg or else they are confusing visiting hell with visions of hell which some saints had.
Old Sep 10, '08, 7:14 am

Quote:

St. Faustina, a Polish nun canonized by JP II, was granted a vision of hell similar to what you describe. Also the 3 shepard kids at Fatima were granted a vision of hell also.
Old Sep 10, '08, 7:17 am
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

There are several visions of hell by saints, such as Sister Lucia. Many of these narratives are catalogued in the book Hell by Fr. F.X. Schouppe.
Old Sep 10, '08, 11:55 am

Quote:
"A long time after the Lord had already granted me many of the favors I've mentioned and other very lofty ones, while I was in prayer one day, I suddenly found that, without knowing how, I had seemingly [my emphasis] been put in hell. I understood that the Lord wanted me to see the place the devils had prepared there for me and which I merited because of my sins. This experience took place within the shortest space of time, but even were I to live for many years I think it would be impossible for me to forget it." The Autobiography of St. Teresa of Jesus, chapter. 32

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Sep 10, '08, 1:26 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

Saint Don Bosco visited hell and had physical proof afterwards, read the story here -

http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/bosco_hell.htm

and there are many other saints who have either visited, or been shown visions of hell, some of their stories can be found here -
http://olrl.org/doctrine/came_back.shtml

of course hell is not a place of physical pain as we know it, and we cannot fully understand hell, or what it is or how it works, but that's not an issue that concerns us, and what hell is or where it is does not limit someone from seeing it or even going to it, because if God wants to let someone see it or go to it, He can, and that's all we need to know.

no one should be able to decide whether someone could see or visit hell, because it's something that can't fully be understood or explained.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Sep 10, '08, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldWings View Post
Saint Don Bosco visited hell and had physical proof afterwards, read the story here -

http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/bosco_hell.htm

and there are many other saints who have either visited, or been shown visions of hell, some of their stories can be found here -
http://olrl.org/doctrine/came_back.shtml

of course hell is not a place of physical pain as we know it, and we cannot fully understand hell, or what it is or how it works, but that's not an issue that concerns us, and what hell is or where it is does not limit someone from seeing it or even going to it, because if God wants to let someone see it or go to it, He can, and that's all we need to know.

no one should be able to decide whether someone could see or visit hell, because it's something that can't fully be understood or explained.
that first read about hell frightened me. especially about confession. i already have a mental illness that makes confession difficult, OCD, it's hard to explain things, worrying if i did it EXACTLY right and perfect. i feel scruplous right not, and feel like weeping.
Old Sep 11, '08, 1:53 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

Quote:
that first read about hell frightened me. especially about confession. i already have a mental illness that makes confession difficult, OCD, it's hard to explain things, worrying if i did it EXACTLY right and perfect. i feel scruplous right not, and feel like weeping.
i see, well i understand how you feel, although i have a different mental defect(not nearly as troublesome) i still know how frustrating it feels, it's hard, but you need to understand that God is all fair, He knows of your problems, and He takes them into account, he will not judge you unfairly, if your confused about something or really unsure, He knows, and He also knows your true intentions, and even if you didn't make a perfect confession, God knows your true desires, and will forgive you still, because it's not the words you say that make Him forgive you, it's the action and the intention, and the sorrow and regret for your sins, of course what you say and how you say it is important in confession, but if you make mistakes, God understands, He knows all, and He loves you very much, and He longs to forgive you more then you know,
if you feel you have not made a good a confession as you think you could have, then afterwards, just pray to God to help you make a better one next time, He will not reject your request.

the thing of it is, if you honestly don't know if you committed a mortal sin, then chances are you didn't, because in order to commit a mortal sin, you need to have full consent to it, meaning you thought about it, knew it would be a sin, and decided to do it anyways,

you will be pleasing to God as long as you keep trying, don't let anything or anyone stop you from reaching your goal, even if it takes you your entire life, God is pleased with perseverance very much,
try reading the lives of the saints and follow their examples and advice, read the books they have written, and most of all, read about the life of Jesus, learn to know and love Him, when you learn to love Him, it will be much easier for you to change your life and your mindset, and never stop trying to love Him more, your love for Him will never stop growing,

if you want some help, i can show you a book i think will help most for you to start living each day how you should, doing Gods will, and not being a slave to your human nature anymore.
and also a book(well, a set of books) on the life of Jesus and biblical revelations, which i think will help you to know and love Jesus more.
https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/p...rine+emmerich/
http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/...ensym-152.html

also, for your mental illnesses, a very good saint to pray to is saint Dymphna,
here's a prayer i pray all the time from the "Catholic Prayers" booklet, which you can also find on tanbooks.com

O Lord, God, Who has graciously chosen St. Dymphna to be the patroness of those afflicted with mental and nervous disorders, and has caused her to an inspiration and a symbol of charity to the thousands who invoke her intercession, grant, through the prayers of this pure, youthful martyr, relief and consolation to all who suffer from these disturbances, and especially to those for whom we now pray.
(Here mention those for whom you wish to pray.)
We beg You to accept and to satisfy the prayers of St. Dymphna on our behalf. Grant us patience in all our sufferings and resignation to Thy Divine Will. Fill us with hope and, if it be in accord with Thy Divine Plan, bestow upon me(him, her) the cure I so earnestly ask for. Through Christ, our Lord, Amen.

alright, i hope this all helps you, i just wanted try and help somehow because i know(at least partly) how you're feeling.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Sep 11, '08, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldWings View Post
i see, well i understand how you feel, although i have a different mental defect(not nearly as troublesome) i still know how frustrating it feels, it's hard, but you need to understand that God is all fair, He knows of your problems, and He takes them into account, he will not judge you unfairly, if your confused about something or really unsure, He knows, and He also knows your true intentions, and even if you didn't make a perfect confession, God knows your true desires, and will forgive you still, because it's not the words you say that make Him forgive you, it's the action and the intention, and the sorrow and regret for your sins, of course what you say and how you say it is important in confession, but if you make mistakes, God understands, He knows all, and He loves you very much, and He longs to forgive you more then you know,
if you feel you have not made a good a confession as you think you could have, then afterwards, just pray to God to help you make a better one next time, He will not reject your request.

the thing of it is, if you honestly don't know if you committed a mortal sin, then chances are you didn't, because in order to commit a mortal sin, you need to have full consent to it, meaning you thought about it, knew it would be a sin, and decided to do it anyways,

you will be pleasing to God as long as you keep trying, don't let anything or anyone stop you from reaching your goal, even if it takes you your entire life, God is pleased with perseverance very much,
try reading the lives of the saints and follow their examples and advice, read the books they have written, and most of all, read about the life of Jesus, learn to know and love Him, when you learn to love Him, it will be much easier for you to change your life and your mindset, and never stop trying to love Him more, your love for Him will never stop growing,

if you want some help, i can show you a book i think will help most for you to start living each day how you should, doing Gods will, and not being a slave to your human nature anymore.
and also a book(well, a set of books) on the life of Jesus and biblical revelations, which i think will help you to know and love Jesus more.
https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/p...rine+emmerich/
http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/...ensym-152.html

also, for your mental illnesses, a very good saint to pray to is saint Dymphna,
here's a prayer i pray all the time from the "Catholic Prayers" booklet, which you can also find on tanbooks.com

O Lord, God, Who has graciously chosen St. Dymphna to be the patroness of those afflicted with mental and nervous disorders, and has caused her to an inspiration and a symbol of charity to the thousands who invoke her intercession, grant, through the prayers of this pure, youthful martyr, relief and consolation to all who suffer from these disturbances, and especially to those for whom we now pray.
(Here mention those for whom you wish to pray.)
We beg You to accept and to satisfy the prayers of St. Dymphna on our behalf. Grant us patience in all our sufferings and resignation to Thy Divine Will. Fill us with hope and, if it be in accord with Thy Divine Plan, bestow upon me(him, her) the cure I so earnestly ask for. Through Christ, our Lord, Amen.

alright, i hope this all helps you, i just wanted try and help somehow because i know(at least partly) how you're feeling.

Oh blessings be to you!! blessings be to you!!!! Thank you so much, you warmed my heart my brother (or sister).

I'm also gladed the Sain for mental illness's is a woman. For some strange reason, I find it easier talking to woman than I do men on certain matters, especially if she's a Saint in Heaven with the Lord. I don't know why, is that strange?

Anyhow, thanks again for the kind words and prayers. You'll be in mine too!!
Old May 23, '09, 5:06 pm

I do not believe in the private revelations of souls in hell, as the catechism teaches us we do NOT have to believe in private revelations, and it also teaches us, that as far as we know NO ONE is in hell at this time. I do not believe in Fatima because there is no way God would show children hell, and Faustina either. We are NOT required as Catholics to believe in private revelation. I do believe in some private revelations but not these two, or other showing hell, as again we are taught we do not have to believe anyone is actually in hell at this time.
Old May 23, '09, 5:11 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Saint Faustina, for one. Her diary is riveting.

"If we only knew how God regards this Sacrifice, we would risk our lives to be present at a single Mass." ~ St. Pio of Pietrelcina, stigmatic priest
Old May 23, '09, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
I do not believe in the private revelations of souls in hell, as the catechism teaches us we do NOT have to believe in private revelations, and it also teaches us, that as far as we know NO ONE is in hell at this time. I do not believe in Fatima because there is no way God would show children hell, and Faustina either. We are NOT required as Catholics to believe in private revelation. I do believe in some private revelations but not these two, or other showing hell, as again we are taught we do not have to believe anyone is actually in hell at this time.
Thank you. I was thinking the exact same thing, but you expressed it much better than I could have.
Old Feb 16, '14, 6:11 pm

Since when do we not believe as Catholics that there are souls in Hell. I don't recall being taught that, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't in the Catechism. If it is, please provide the paragraph number.
Old Feb 16, '14, 6:18 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfjj View Post
Since when do we not believe as Catholics that there are souls in Hell. I don't recall being taught that, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't in the Catechism. If it is, please provide the paragraph number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC 1035
The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics