Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 15, '08, 10:09 am
Banned

Religion: Undetermined
Default Rape Kits encourage Abortion

Quote:
A rape kit, also called sexual assault evidence collection kit, sexual assault forensic evidence (SAFE) kit or Sexual Offense Evidence Collection (SOEC) kit in New York[1] is a set of items used by medical personnel for gathering and preserving physical evidence following a sexual assault which can be used in criminal proceedings. The kit was developed by Louis R. Vitullo and was for years referred to as the Vitullo kit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_kit

What isn't mentioned, however, is that rape kits are now starting to carry the morning after pill. although the article does state that:

Quote:
The hospital provides the victim with any preventive medicine necessary (for tetanus, sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy, etc.).
Under "evidence collection in the United States".

So a good pro-life Christian would oppose the use of rape kits because they are now being used to encourage women getting an abortion, which is murder, as well as boycotting hospitals who provide these murdering kits.
Old Sep 15, '08, 10:23 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Rape Kits encourage Abortion

There is nothing wrong with preserving the assilant's DNA, and collecting evidence which could lead to a prosecution. I am also aware that the MAP is offered as a matter of course, but one can refuse to take it.
I would not boycott a rape kit as a matter of course, but I wish there wasn't so much pressure on women to take the pill, esp. as she is so vulnerable.
Old Sep 15, '08, 10:27 am

Sigh. So we should not take samples of DNA, and the rapist should just get off scot-free due to lack of evidence, simply because the pill is offered as an option? Women still have the free choice whether or not to take the pill. I can't see any good coming from boycotting rape kits altogether.
Old Sep 15, '08, 10:29 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

You beat me to it, apricot.

The issue isn't with evidence collection after a rape-- and these kits are designed to allow evidence collection to be done correctly and thoroughly, so that the rapist can successfully be prosecuted. Surely a good thing.

That most secular hospitals then proceed to pressure the victim to take excess quantities of the birth control pill (which is what the MAP is, IIRC) is a separate matter, and a bad thing indeed.

But one is separate from the other. Also keep in mind that there are Catholic hospitals with a protocol in place (can't remember the name right now!) which is specifically designed to prevent inadvertently causing an abortion by aggressively treating a rape victim with large quantities of hormones. I think it involves first testing where the woman is in her ovulatory cycle, to avoid any harm to the potential fetus.

Margaret
Old Sep 15, '08, 10:59 am

It would be the other way around for me. If I was in this situation I would not go to a hospital that didn't use rape kits. The DNA is just to important for court.
Old Sep 15, '08, 11:38 am
Banned

But abortion is murder and murder is wrong and all birth control does is cause abortions and any organization that encourages murdering of innocent people should be boycotted. We must all be open to the gift of life from God.
Old Sep 15, '08, 12:46 pm
Banned

If I were a rape victim I would take the emergency contraception offered in a heart beat. And I have been assured by a trustworthy catechist that I am perfectly within Catholic moral teaching to do so. Here is a thread I posted on that topic, and it seems I am right on this:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...highlight=rape

Plus, I have seen many other threads on the topic..... just do a search.

BTW, Starwynd, if you want to argue against contraception, get informed as to what it does so that you may do so credibly. You said all it does is cause abortions. That is not true. The thinning of the uterine lining, that causes a fertilized egg not to be able to implant, is, I agree, an early abortion. BUT hormonal BC also has other functions, including suppression of ovulation and thickening of cervical mucus to impede sperm. If one of those two functions works, there is no conception, and therefore no abortion. The only time the early abortion occurs is when both of those other functionalities fail.
Old Sep 15, '08, 2:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Boycotting rape kits? ARE YOU SERIOUS????????

First of all, EC after rape is OK'd by the Church.

Second, it is an option. They can't obligate a woman to take it. I'm pretty sure there's a law against that.

Third, how would they find, charge, and prosecute the rapist??????? The point of the kit is to collect DNA and help the women (or men, some survivors are men).

Fourth, it also offers antibiotics for STI prevention (sadly, not one for HIV or anything yet).

Fifth, birth control doesn't "cause abortions." It's main function is to prevent ovulation and to block semen. It, sadly, may prevent implantation but that's a side effect. If it were RU-486, then it would cause abortions. It is not.

Sixth, if you willingly engage in marital sex, you must be open to life. If you are raped, you did not consent to sex, therefore, you are not obligated to be open to life or accept the sex act in any way.

Catholic, progressive, and young. The second and third do not bar me from participation.
Old Sep 15, '08, 3:48 pm
Banned

I hadn't known that the Church okay'd EC after rape. I was taught that that all abortion is murder and there is absolutely no justification for it under any circumstances and any and all organizations that support it in any way shape or form must not be supportied and all contraceptives were defined as abortifacients, which causes abortions, and therefore cause murder.
Old Sep 15, '08, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwynd View Post
I hadn't know that the Church okay'd EC after rape. I was taught that that all abortion is murder and there is absolutely no justification for it under any circumstances and any and all organizations that support it in any way shape or form must not be supportied and all contraceptives were defined as abortifacients, which causes abortions, and therefore cause murder.
Well, you have to understand that fertilization usually takes place a day or two or several after intercourse. The sperm hangs around, waiting for the egg to come down the fallopian tubes. If EC is taken before fertilization happens, the egg will be expelled and there won't be a pregnancy. However, it will also expell a fertilized egg, and so EC is really only OK in cases where you're fairly certain the victim hasn't just recently ovulated. Luckily, the fertile window is mostly before ovulation - once a woman ovulates, the window is about shut. You can get pregnant maybe 24 hours after ovulation, but up to a week before ovulation.

http://www.everyclick.com/thecommuni...ewal/1093506/0
Old Sep 15, '08, 4:02 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic with Traditional leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctamaria17 View Post
Boycotting rape kits? ARE YOU SERIOUS????????
It would be a very serious mistake to "boycott" a rape kit. A terrible crime has been committed and it is important that the victim get justice and society be protected from an attacker.

Quote:
First of all, EC after rape is OK'd by the Church.
This is not accurate. The Church Herself is silent on the specific issue of emergency contraception ("Plan B") in the case of rape. What is accurate is that some bishops in the USA have decided to acquiesce to civil law and permit Catholic hospitals in their diocese to stock and distribute the drug.

On the other hand, some bishops have stated that emergency contraception, because it can also prevent implantation, is abortifacient and therefore is NOT permitted. Still others say that since it is still a contraceptive, it should NOT be permitted.

So we can see that at this time, there is still debate.

Quote:
Second, it is an option. They can't obligate a woman to take it. I'm pretty sure there's a law against that.
I would hope a woman would not take this drug as it can kill a fertilized, but not yet implanted, child.

Quote:
Third, how would they find, charge, and prosecute the rapist??????? The point of the kit is to collect DNA and help the women (or men, some survivors are men).
Agreed! Rape kits are essential for justice to be done and society protected from dangerous predators. Of course this "emergency contraception" does not apply to the unfortunate male victims of rape.

(btw, it has postulated by some that there are more male victims of rape than female victims. The difference is that boys and men often refuse to report it.)

Quote:
Fourth, it also offers antibiotics for STI prevention (sadly, not one for HIV or anything yet).
I was unaware that "Plan B" was also an anti-biotic. In doing some quick protection, I cannot find any information that supports this assertion.

Quote:
Fifth, birth control doesn't "cause abortions." It's main function is to prevent ovulation and to block semen. It, sadly, may prevent implantation but that's a side effect. If it were RU-486, then it would cause abortions. It is not.
Preventing a fetus from implanting in the womb is inducing an abortion as conception has already taken place.

Quote:
Sixth, if you willingly engage in marital sex, you must be open to life. If you are raped, you did not consent to sex, therefore, you are not obligated to be open to life or accept the sex act in any way.
As I mentioned earlier, I believe that this matter is still under debate and the Church has not yet spoken authoritatively on this subject.
Old Sep 15, '08, 5:18 pm
Banned

rpp, I think she meant that rape kits contain antibiotic therapy in addition to emergency contraception, not that they are contained in the same pills.
Old Sep 15, '08, 5:28 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskyjewel View Post
rpp, I think she meant that rape kits contain antibiotic therapy in addition to emergency contraception, not that they are contained in the same pills.
Ah. Okay. Thank you. While I am no medical professional, I would think that the preventative medical measures needed by most victims of rape take on many aspects.
Old Sep 15, '08, 5:30 pm

The Church has not approved Plan B if it will cause an abortion. It is only approved in cases where it would prevent ovulation. If conception has already occurred she may not take it. If it is difficult to tell she may take it as the intent is not to cause an abortion but to prevent conception.
A woman who is raped is allowed to defend herself against conception. Rape is an act of violence not a loving marital act. There for she may use medicines , treatments etc to prevent contraception.

The Vatican has not spoken authoritatively on this specifically. Some Bishop's in particular the Connecticut Bishop's have accepted its use in Catholic Hospitals , if I'm not mistaken.
Old Sep 15, '08, 5:33 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatuck View Post
The Church has not approved Plan B if it will cause an abortion. It is only approved in cases where it would prevent ovulation. If conception has already occurred she may not take it. If it is difficult to tell she may take it as the intent is not to cause an abortion but to prevent conception.
A woman who is raped is allowed to defend herself against conception. Rape is an act of violence not a loving marital act. There for she may use medicines , treatments etc to prevent contraception.
Yes. Yes. It is coming back to me now.

When the bishops who caved-in to civil law (New Hampshire? Vermont? Connecticut? Massachusetts?) said that doctors were permitted to dispense Plan B in the case of rape, they said a pregnancy test met be administered and its results must be negative, thus ensuring that an abortion will not take place.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice