Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 16, '08, 7:05 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Home school CCD / PSR

We are among the very few people in our church who can not afford to send our kids to the church school. They are in the government run school. Our church does not have a CCD/PSR program but the kids can go to one at a neighboring parish. They were not learing much and spent a lot of time doing crafts and learning generic God loves me but little about the church. My kids are both past first communion and neither is ready for Confirmation so I decided to teach them CCD myself this year. This weeks assignment was to find 5 prayers every Catholic should know. Next weeks is to write down everything that happens during the Mass. They are already begging to go back to PSR where it is easier.

I am going to quickly run out of ideas. I stopped by a Catholic book store and they seemed to have a lot of resources for little kids and some for older teens. They also had a good selection for teachers essentially helping them to improve their classes. What they don't have are books saying what each child should be learning at each grade. Does anyone know of any such references online?
Old Sep 16, '08, 7:36 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Home school CCD / PSR

suggest going to the website of various Catholic religion texts, such as Christ our Life, Loyola press, that will display what they call the spiral curriculum--this part will be free because they are selling the books. It shows how doctrine prayer, sacraments, scripture, Christian life are covered each year, thru the theme of that year--typical:
you can probably even print out the scope and content for each year

1st--basics of God, Trinity, Creation, the fall, Jesus, prayers etc.
2nd--confession, Mass, communion
3rd, Creed & what it means to be Catholic
4th--morality & commandments
5th-more in depth on each individual sacraments and the Mass
6th OT and salvation history
7th, NT and person of Jesus Christ
8th, Church history and Catholic identity

you can also ask your DRE or pastor for a copy of the diocesan guidelines on what should be taught each year, including glossary, prayers, doctrine etc. They should be able to give you testing and evaluation materials so your child can be given credit for homeschooling.

in this parish homeschooling is the gold standard, CCD is for families who cannot afford Catholic school, and cannot or will not, for whatever reason (most of them very valid) home school. We will give you a used textbook free, with blackline masters, curriculum and other resources, plus code to use the on-line helps from the publisher for catechists and families.

most parish texts have a website just for families, and a lot of family resources.

many DREs get free books from publishers to review, so she may have some to give you.

other good publishers
the new Jr High series from Loyola is excellent, the catechist guide will be pricey but worth it.

Faith and Life, Ignatius Press, also on the cuf.org site

Wm Sadlier, We Believe

also check out the children's programming on EWTN for programs you can record for use at your convenience.

you might also want to go about this on a lectionary-based program, or other scripture focused approach. the Breakthrough bible (Good news translation) from St. Mary's press is one such program, get the leader guide, don't bother with student book. most of the resources are in the insets in the bible itself, which use anime style illustrations, sidebars and reference articles. intended for middle graders

even better are the great bible adventure series for children from ascension press.
Old Sep 16, '08, 8:14 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Agree with above -

......except for Sadlier - it is wayyyyyyyy fluffy from what I have seen.

Maybe I am crazy, but, I thought every Parish was required to offer CCD.
Old Sep 16, '08, 8:24 pm

Smile Re: Home school CCD / PSR

Just buy some baltimore catechisms and you'll be fine and well ahead. They are simple, cheap (under $4!), easy, and yet very much full of the faith. 0 is first communion prep. then there's 1 - 4. You'll probably need #1 or #2 would be my guess.

Old Sep 17, '08, 5:13 am

Religion: catholic

Faith and Life series is great. The teacher manual is expensive, but you wouldn't have to get it. I found I didn't use mine so I stopped getting it.

http://www.ignatius.com/Textbooks/Fa...LIfe/index.htm

I also use the curriculum from Seton. It is inexpensive and I like the material. They have everything to home school everything, but you can just purchase the religion books.

http://www.setonhome.org/curriculum/index.shtml
Old Sep 17, '08, 7:18 am

I really like Race for Heaven. It's a first communion preparation, but I think it could be used for up to fifth grade.

http://www.raceforheaven.com/?page=s...f79b587be1eb41

It uses 2nd grade Faith and Life, King of the Golden City (a great allegory about communion), The Children of Fatima, A children's biography of St. Therese, and a children's biography of Blessed Imelda.

It's a read aloud and discuss program. My last 2nd grader wasn't ready cognitively for The King of the Golden City, so we dropped that one. But, it's also available on cd, so a great book to listen to in the car.

Plus, there are suggestions for mom and dad to study along in the catechism and the biography of the Martin family. It's very good.

Old Sep 17, '08, 7:21 am

One year, we just went through this list, discussing and memorizing it. I learned a lot.

http://www.fisheaters.com/lists.html
Old Sep 20, '08, 5:43 pm
Prayer Warrior

Another great home school curriculum that has CCD books for home is Catholic Heritage Curricula. It is the one that I'm using for this year. The web site is:

http://www.chcweb.com/catalog/index.html

They also have a section on their website for free curricula that you can download and/or print out.

Love of Jesus Fill us.
Holy Spirit Guide us.
Will of the Father be done.
AMEN

Old Sep 21, '08, 8:13 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage_ar View Post
Agree with above -

......except for Sadlier - it is wayyyyyyyy fluffy from what I have seen.

Maybe I am crazy, but, I thought every Parish was required to offer CCD.
Thank you.

Technically the parrish does offer CCD, It is at the other parrish that is about 5 miles away. They just don't have enough students to warrant it at our parish.
Old Sep 21, '08, 8:26 am
Forum Supporter

Thank you all. I have ordered a couple of the references on line and bookmarked a couple of the sites.
Old Oct 2, '08, 10:10 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

I would second the recommendation for Seton, I know that a lot of private schools also use their books in addition to the 14,000 or so students enrolled. They are pretty solid and professional looking.

A good site to learn more about Catholic homeschooling:
Catholic Homeschooling

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting