Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 7, '09, 6:38 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Just Faith Program

If a Catholic needs a "program" to get them to do good works, the Parish has trouble.

It still sounds wayyyyy too much like "all we need is faith" - sola fide - to me.
Old Sep 8, '09, 4:09 am

Religion: Catholic

Kage_ar

Many people, myself included, really enjoy studying. It gives us a chance to learn why we do what we do. It only deepens my faith. That isn’t to say that I need to take an academic approach to be a faithful Catholic. I was a very active Catholic long before I ever picked up a theological textbook.

There is nothing wrong with a person or a parish that wants to study Catholic social teaching. It is rather interesting. A JustFaith group is a great way to meet people in your parish and build lasting and meaningful relationships. JustFaith only augments the knowledge base of the parish. After running JustFaith in a parish for a few years, the parish benefits from having 40 or 50 people who have a better understanding of why our Church does what it does and teaches what it teaches. The average Catholic does not know or understand what “The Preferential Option for the Poor” means or the meaning of “Susidiarity”.

JustFaith is fun, engaging and informative.

If you ask the folks at JustFaith www.justfaith.org they will tell you that JustFaith does not mean "Only Faith", rather it means Justice and Faith. In Spanish it would be Justa Fe, not Solo Fe.

kage_ar Re: Just Faith Program
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a Catholic needs a "program" to get them to do good works, the Parish has trouble.
It still sounds wayyyyy too much like "all we need is faith" - sola fide - to me.
Old Sep 9, '09, 6:31 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Jezreel & JustFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljpgoodwin View Post
Hi yayi238

Yes, it seems that Mr. Jezreel spoke to people from "A Call to Action". Going to a group of people as a keynote speaker is not in itself a bad thing. If a pro-abortion or a pro-death penalty group asked me to speak to them…you can bet that I would be there with the hope of helping them see how wrong abortion and the death penalty are.
If a pro-abortion group ask me to speak to them, I would tell them when I am speaking at a pro-life event and invite them to attend. It is called avoiding scandal.
Old Sep 11, '09, 8:28 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thread is moving off-topic.

In this thread please discuss the Just Faith program (curriculum, success, failure, personal experience teaching or attending).
Please take the side topic of ACORN, CCHD, USCCB, founders, etc. to the Social Justice forum by starting a new thread there.

Thank you.
Old Sep 15, '09, 3:52 pm

Religion: catholic

Help please. I can't find the social justice thread where we moved this discussion. I found it once and I think I remember it being Social Justice and JustFaith but now when I put that in I get nothing. I know I posted on the new thread once and I believe there was a reply but now I can't find it .
Sorry--I'm not that good with computers.
Can you help me find the correct thread?

Thanks,

Yayi238
Old Sep 21, '09, 1:15 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayi238 View Post
Help please. I can't find the social justice thread where we moved this discussion. I found it once and I think I remember it being Social Justice and JustFaith but now when I put that in I get nothing. I know I posted on the new thread once and I believe there was a reply but now I can't find it .
Sorry--I'm not that good with computers.
Can you help me find the correct thread?

Thanks,

Yayi238
It is under the Social Justice forum here.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Sep 21, '09, 1:25 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjonah1 View Post
Hello.

I was just doing some research on the Just Faith program.

I am at a very liberal parish and they have had the Just Faith program there for some time. A friend of mine is in the Deaconate and was interested in participating in the Just Faith classes.

In my research I found that Just Faith is not a program that would be consistant with Catholic Social Justice teaching.

Here is a link I found very informative regarding this program http://www.catholicmediacoalition.org/default.htm
This is the link to the specific article regarding Just Faith
http://www.catholicmediacoalition.org/just_faith.htm

I hope this helps.

Michele
From the second link above: JustFaith materials include reading lists of works by other problematic authors, including Cloud of Witness by Jim Wallis, an evangelical minister who edits the magazine Sojourners – originally founded to support the anti-war and sanctuary movements. Currently, Wallis is promoting the New Sanctuary Movement to support illegal immigration in the US and the Faith in Public Life network of “spiritual progressives”, many of whom advocate abortion and homosexual advocacy.
Jim Wallis wrote a book, which I read in its entirety. 1. He is a protestant. 2. He is not pro-life. 3. What he is doing is simply taking liberalism and putting a "Christian" sheen on it. He can appear on NPR (and has done so) and quote the Bible in support of his views; pro-lifers and those who are against homosexual "marriage" cannot do that.

JustFaith also recommends Selected Readings in Liberation Theology by Gustavo Gutierrez & others.
Liberation theology has been condemned by the Church.

3 Another recommended book is Doing Justice by Dennis A. Jacobsen, which promotes the organizing principles of Saul Alinsky. These are not Catholic materials.
Precisely.

Nor does Jack Jezreel, the founder and director of JustFaith, intend to support authentic Catholic social justice teaching. Jezreel is longtime speaker for the dissident Catholic organization Call to Action,4 which exists to change church doctrine and structure along liberationist lines.

As was pointed out before, Call to Action was excommunicated in the Diocese of Lincoln, and that decision was upheld by the Vatican. This is from the article: "The judgment of the Holy See is that the activities of Call to Action in the course of these years are in contrast with the Catholic faith due to views and positions held which are unacceptable from a doctrinal and disciplinary standpoint," the cardinal said in his letter.

"Thus to be a member of this association or to support it is irreconcilable with a coherent living of the Catholic faith," he added.

It would appear that JustFaith is not a truly Catholic organization. There are lots of Catholic charitable organizations who really need help. The Society of St Vincent de Paul is in almost every parish and they do a lot for the poor. Give the money you'd spend on JustFaith and give it to the poor who really need it.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Sep 21, '09, 3:21 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjonah1 View Post
Hello.

I was just doing some research on the Just Faith program.

I am at a very liberal parish and they have had the Just Faith program there for some time. A friend of mine is in the Deaconate and was interested in participating in the Just Faith classes.

In my research I found that Just Faith is not a program that would be consistant with Catholic Social Justice teaching.

Here is a link I found very informative regarding this program http://www.catholicmediacoalition.org/default.htm
This is the link to the specific article regarding Just Faith
http://www.catholicmediacoalition.org/just_faith.htm

I hope this helps.

Michele
Rather than rely on the word of someone who admittedly knows nothing about the program, I suggest that you visit the JustFaith website at www.justfaith.org. There is a substantial amount of information there.
Old Sep 21, '09, 3:59 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
It would appear that JustFaith is not a truly Catholic organization. There are lots of Catholic charitable organizations who really need help. The Society of St Vincent de Paul is in almost every parish and they do a lot for the poor. Give the money you'd spend on JustFaith and give it to the poor who really need it.
It is really uncharitable, unfair and untrue to say that JustFaith is not a Catholic organization.

JustFaith does not promote a traditionalist Catholic agenda. It focuses on the needs of the poor and disadvantaged in our society and some of the root causes for their plight. It seeks to motivate Catholics to get actively engaged in outreach and social change.

I've found nothing that suggests that the founder of JustFaith is a member of Call to Action, although I don't doubt that he spoke at a Call to Action event. Doing so would not condemn him to excommunication, even by the highly controversial Bishop Bruskewicz of Lincoln, Nebraska. I also don't think that asking participants to read some non-Catholic literature is problematic as long as the emphasis is on authentic Catholic teaching on social justice issues.

Here is some factual information about Jack Jezreel and JustFaith that may help you in your decision.

Jack Jezreel holds an undergraduate degree in Philosophy and Religion from Furman University (summa cum laude) and a Master of Divinity degree from the University of Notre Dame. He spent six years in a Catholic Worker community, providing basic and emergency services to the homeless in Colorado before directing his attention to transformative education, mostly
focused on how to encourage people of Catholic background to be engaged in
outreach and social change.

Jack has over twenty years of experience working in parish ministry and
spent eight of those years at a Catholic parish in Louisville, Kentucky
developing a conversion-based justice formation program, JustFaith, which
has had extraordinary results and has been recognized nationally as a potent
strategy for empowering social ministry. The three largest poverty-focused
Catholic organizations in the country – Catholic Charities USA, Catholic
Campaign for Human Development and Catholic Relief Services are partners
and promoters of JustFaith. Over ten thousand people in over ninety dioceses
have participated.

Jack currently is Director of JustFaith Ministries, a nonprofit organization
that creates justice formation materials. In 1995, he was recognized for his
work with the Peace and Justice Award from the Archdiocese of Louisville.
In February 2006, he received the Harry A. Fagan Award at the Annual
Social Ministry Gathering in Washington, D.C., for his working in promoting social justice.

Last edited by Angela Tate; Sep 29, '09 at 10:11 am.
Old Sep 23, '09, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by adowcday View Post

It is really uncharitable, unfair and untrue to say that JustFaith is not a Catholic organization.

JustFaith does not promote a traditionalist Catholic agenda. It focuses on the needs of the poor and disadvantaged in our society and some of the root causes for their plight. It seeks to motivate Catholics to get actively engaged in outreach and social change.

I've found nothing that suggests that the founder of JustFaith is a member of Call to Action, although I don't doubt that he spoke at a Call to Action event. Doing so would not condemn him to excommunication, even by the highly controversial Bishop Bruskewicz of Lincoln, Nebraska. I also don't think that asking participants to read some non-Catholic literature is problematic as long as the emphasis is on authentic Catholic teaching on social justice issues.
Why is a holy bishop now called controversial for teaching, and protecting, the faithful?
Old Sep 24, '09, 9:49 am

JustFaith is in fact very Catholic. It is endorsed by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, Catholic Relief Services, Catholic Charities and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Many Catholics do not like JustFaith for a number of reasons, usually because they mistakenly think JustFaith is politically motivated. Just because someone does not like JustFaith, does not mean it is not solidly Catholic. In fact the main objective of JustFaith is helping people learn how to make communities that are clean, and safe so they can bring up happy families. JustFaith is all about bringing Catholic family values to the community.

The program is solidly within the boundaries of the Catholic Church and it offers a valuable and authentically Catholic perspective on Catholic social teaching.

Nobody has ever been excommunicated, including the founder of JustFaith Jack Jezreel for participating in the program.

Just go to www.usccb.org (the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops official website) and do a search for JustFaith and you will see that the bishops are very much in support of JustFaith. As a matter of fact, the USCCB’s Secretariat of Life Issues and JustFaith are jointly working on a new life issues program to be run by JustFaith.
Old Oct 11, '09, 3:50 pm

I am reading this thread with interest as our parish is planning on running a Just Faith program this fall and winter.

I have a couple of concerns. The first one is the YouTube in which I saw Jack Jezreel speaking about how Catholics do not have a good sense of social teaching. He then goes on to ridicule those who came to his meetings when he first tried to get his teachings in place in a parish. One of his statements was that Catholics were 99 % unaware of Catholic social teaching. He says that the three people that came to his meetings .. "none of whom I liked" and laughs at them and their assistance to him.

He then goes on to say that he "instead of preparing people to become Catholics, preparing them to become saints" by virtue of his teachings on social justice.

He also says that the program "Redefine Eucharist, or redefine it correctly" by putting into place, his teachings of social justice.

You can see more here http://www.youtube.com/user/Woodstoc.../2/jpLTd71YnLs

The Summer 2009 newsletter that I looked through on the JustFaith website seems to be all about illegal immigration and assisting those who are coming over the boarder from Mexico illegally. This is problematic.

I am concerned that I have not been able to find, on their website, any information on assisting women who are pregnant and in crisis. I am curious as to what they are teaching regarding abortion (bearing in mind, that yes, I know, one program cannot address all issues). However, social justice must address abortion as the leading cause of injustice for those who are not yet born.

I am asking that those who are in the program write and address the abortion issue and the issue of the founder of JustFaith ridiculing those who were assisting him in.

I am curious as to why the founder of this program gets a pass for being involved with those who are anti-Catholic such as Pax Christi and Call to Action, agreeing to, and speaking as their key note speaker at their conventions.

Thank you for any assistance.

To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant
John Henry Newmann
Old Jan 1, '10, 1:53 am
Forum Supporter

This thread is a little old but far from stale. Anyone thinking of Just Faith should be warned of its liberal bent as seen in the earlier posts commenting on Jezereel's speaking to the "Call to Action" group of Catholic dissenters.

I dropped out of Just Faith due to the curriculum opposing the basic tenets of the faith, like: Contemplation subordinate to action, sin not being emphasized as the problem but systems like corporations, systems, and even the hierarchy of the Church as opposed to ecclesial based communities as needed for improvement of the world. Jesus as a radical opposing the political powers of the day was the way they presented our Lord.

It smacked of temporal salvation by the correct "use" of divine revelation. Absolutely no Church based books like the "Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church" or encyclicals, just what other people say about official Church documents. One book offered, "The Powers That Be, A Theology for a New Millennium" by "Jesus Seminar" member Walter Wink, intimated at the Church "making" Jesus divine in opposition to His actual Divinity. Wink never says that Jesus isn't Divine but one can well deduce his meaning. Gnostic texts are used in place of the Gospel of John due to the spiritual nature of the official Gospel. The historical Jesus is emphasized and sin is de-emphasized.

The reason for a 30 week, multi-hour classes and "immersion" weekends is to re-educate Catholics in a different Christian ethic in order to fit the "humanistic" ideals of the Just Faith program. This is not a problem for Protestant groups as they have such a varied theology that this is just another view added to their personal interpretations anyway. Official Catholic Magisterial teaching is oriented to sin and to our nature based on original sin with salvation through Grace. This Just Faith program is in no way faithful to that. Liberation Theology, taught by priests of the diocese by the way, and dissent by those who ran the group is not the way to teach Catholic social justice. The priest of this parish saw nothing wrong so I left for a less liberal parish.
Old Jan 1, '10, 7:48 am

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2009!

I too have just stumbled on this thread, and I've found it, as Earnest Bunbury said, "far from stale." I am not in a parish where JustFaith is active, but nevertheless, it's good to be aware of movements within the Church (be they orthodox or not). The title of this thread/program intrigued me (in that it's name, despite being meant to speak of justice/fairness rather than sola fide, automatically caught the attention of my internal Heresy Alert System - no matter the "real" meaning of the group's name, it cannot be denied that they intentionally used the word-play with the heresy to draw attention to their group).

Throughout the discussion, I couldn't help but notice the lack of actual, factual evidence from those who asserted that the group was in-line with Catholic teaching. Nor did it escape my attention that, rather than address the specific assertions of the article by Stephanie Block of the Catholic Media Coalition, they simply discreditted the source as "someone who admittedly knows nothing about the program". (I read the article, and nowhere does the author admit to being completely knowledgeless concerning the subject of the article, which would be absurd considering the purpose of the article is to share her knowledge of the group with the faithful.) Nevertheless, I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, hoping someone would give some inside, experiencial evidence regarding the group's specific teachings/activities. I can't say I'm very surprised, given everything else, that the group isn't pattently orthodox, but my reason for posting is simply to sincerely thank Ernest Bunbury for finally giving us direct evidence of JustFaith's doctrine one way or the other.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in debates about politics and justice without getting right down to the heart of the matter: truth. The question isn't, "do they help people?" or "is their heart in the right place?" It is, "What do they teach?" Tell us that, and it's a simple matter of comparing it to the Catechism to see whether it is faithful to true Catholic Social Teaching (or Catholic teaching on any topic). When the lives and souls of our parishoners are at stake, we should not waste time on polemics or emotional appeals.

Tiberius1701, the Catholic Trekkie
Old Jan 2, '10, 8:35 am

We have a wonderful Just Faith group in our parish. This is the third year it's being held and everyone who's involved loves it.

It does take time and committment and yes, it can get pricey with the books to buy. There is financial assistance offered for those who want to participate but who cannot afford the books.

As to the questions about the program or authors being Catholic or not, I can't comment. But I do know that Mark Link, SJ constantly references William Barclay's writings in his Ignatius Retreat guides and no one thinks that's a terrible thing, do they? Bishop Fulton Sheen also quotes Barclay in his talks and I don't think that's ever been raised as an issue, either.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization