Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 18, '08, 1:22 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholic vs Southern Baptist

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this will be my first question out of many to come.

I recently got my friend who is a Southern Baptist to come to my youth group. She really enjoyed it, but now it is my turn to go to her youth group. And I'd just like to know what they believe that is different from us Catholics, what do they believe that we don't and vice versa. Just so I am prepared to answer any questions they may ask me about my faith and what I believe.

P.S off-topic and I probably should make an entirely different thread for this but can someone explain Sacred Tradition to me? My priest talked about it last week but I didn't really understand it.
Old Sep 18, '08, 1:45 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Catholic vs Southern Baptist

Basically, Baptists deny any sacraments. They are sola scriptura (only the Bible is the authority on faith matters). They do not accept the teachings of the Catholic Church on saints. Southern Baptists do not generally like people dancing or drinking.

Sacred Tradition is the list of beliefs that we have from the Apostles. These traditions have been passed down through the years. They are supported, some more than others, by scriptures, but they do not need scripture to be true. Many times, they are used to understand Scriptures.

I hope this helps

Ralph
Old Sep 18, '08, 2:23 pm

Religion: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepeluali View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this will be my first question out of many to come.

I recently got my friend who is a Southern Baptist to come to my youth group. She really enjoyed it, but now it is my turn to go to her youth group. And I'd just like to know what they believe that is different from us Catholics, what do they believe that we don't and vice versa. Just so I am prepared to answer any questions they may ask me about my faith and what I believe.

P.S off-topic and I probably should make an entirely different thread for this but can someone explain Sacred Tradition to me? My priest talked about it last week but I didn't really understand it.

Most of my family is Southern Baptist - two are ministers. I suggest you go to the Southern Baptist Convention website which contains a lot of info on their beliefs and the reasons for them

www.sbc.net

Old Sep 18, '08, 2:33 pm
Banned

Statement of beliefs:

http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp#i

My mother in law is a little angry that both my wife and her soon to be married younger daughter both started their RCIA classes last night.
Old Jun 21, '09, 1:53 pm
Banned

Here are the basic differences between Baptists and Catholics. Baptists believe only people who have reached the age of reason can be baptized. There is no scriptural proof for this. Catholics believe anybody can be and should be baptized at any age, especially babies. Peter says "Baptism is for you and your children". He also says "Let baptism be the new circumcision". Babies were circumcised at 8 days old. Baptists believe baptism is only valid when the believer is fully immersed in water. No scriptural proof for that either. Catholics believe immersion is not the only way. The apostles went into homes and baptized families. They didn't drag a bathtub around with them. Jesus said "Baptize everyone in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. He didn't say baptize only the adults in a large body of water. Baptists believe the eucharist is only symbolic and offer it very seldom at their services. And they use crackers and grape juice. Scripture condemns this practice. Catholics believe the eucharist is the real body and blood of Christ. Jesus said "This is my body and blood". He didn't say "This is a symbol of my body and blood". He also said "DO THIS in rememberence of me" a direct order. He didn't say "If and when you remember me have a symbol of my body and blood". The eucharist is offered at every Mass, Paul says "You will do this often and proclaim the lords death til he comes. For is this bread not the body of Christ? And is this wine not his blood?" Jesus says "If you do not eat of my flesh and drink of my blood you have no life in you". He was not speaking symbolicly. When Jesus did speak symbolically he would start off with "There once was..." or "The kingdom of Heaven is like ..." Jesus says it's real. Paul says it's real. The Bible says it's real. Baptists must know more than Jesus, Paul, and Bible to claim it is not real. Baptists believe in Bible only and Faith only as the only means means of salvation. The Bible itself disproves both of these doctrines. There are refererences that we will be judged by what we have done and what we have failed to do. That kills the faith-only theory, and Jesus says "You search the scriptures because in them you think you have life". That debunks the Bible-only belief. So who really follows the Bible? It certainly isn't the Baptists.
Old Jun 21, '09, 2:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
Statement of beliefs:

http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp#i

My mother in law is a little angry that both my wife and her soon to be married younger daughter both started their RCIA classes last night.
I'm a little angry that your mother in law is angry. And if both your wife and sister in law made it through RCIA, all I can say to them is WELCOME TO THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE CHURCH JESUS STARTED!
Old Sep 18, '09, 8:54 am

I was born into a Southern Baptist family where my dad was a minister up until I was in my early 20's. I was confirmed into the Catholic Church in February of this year so I can tell you there are some major differences between the two. Southern Baptists believe that only people who are at the age of reason should be baptized--and by immersion. They completely reject the baptism of infants. My now 1 year old was baptised at 5 months along with my 2 year old on the day of our confirmation.

They also do not take communion every week--my church only did it for special occasions. They also believe that the Bible is the sole source of authority and that anyone has the ability to interpret the scripture.

Another big difference is they do not continually and specifically pray for the dead for much longer than after the person has died. I've seen a lot of posts where people say they do not pray for the dead but I have to say that we lifted the recently departed up in prayer and asked for God's grace to comfort them and their families.

The Southern Baptist church does not venerate Mary as much as the Catholic Church does and when I first came into the Catholic Church I was shocked as to why Baptists didn't! I was taught growing up that Catholics "worshipped" and "prayed to" Mary. I quickly found out that this was a big misconception the 1st Mass I attended. Since then, there has been no prayer TO Mary or to anyone other than God! There is a major difference between adoration (only due to God alone) and veneration (honoring Mary and the saints). Actually, when my parents were accusing me of praying to Mary and that I was going to Hell, I explained that we ask Mary to pray FOR us just as they ask each other to pray for them.

Southern Baptists do not preach the 7 sacraments -- actually I had never heard of them until I went to RCIA.

Southern Baptists also look upon other religions as not being in full communion with God--including Catholics (even though like Baptists we are also Christians!). I know this because it was preached to us during the services many times and that we were to go minister to them and try to bring them into the Baptist church.

Please let me know if you have any other questions (since I used to be Southern Baptist).

Converting to Catholicism was the best decision I have ever made and I have learned more about God through RCIA and Mass than I ever did in Sunday School all of those years. As a result of my conversion, my dad has pretty much stopped talking to me, but that's his problem and not mine. My trust in the same God and the church has not changed so I know I made the right decision.

Good luck to you
Old Sep 18, '09, 9:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

Hi Jatkins,

welcome to the forum and thanks for the explanation.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's attitude, it must be hard for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old Sep 18, '09, 9:15 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure my dad will eventually come around to talk to his son. I appreciate your prayers!
Old Sep 18, '09, 9:30 am
Banned

Religion: Other

Sacred Tradition is the life and action of the Holy Spirit in the Church.

It's taking God's best, preserving it, and passing it down.

And trust me, Southern Baptists have their own "tradition", too--they just aren't aware of it.
Old Sep 18, '09, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post
Sacred Tradition is the life and action of the Holy Spirit in the Church.

It's taking God's best, preserving it, and passing it down.

And trust me, Southern Baptists have their own "tradition", too--they just aren't aware of it.
Hi, I am not too familiar with Southern Baptists. Can you give some examples of what you call their tradition? Thanks.
Old Sep 18, '09, 10:53 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepeluali View Post

Seeing as everyone got the first part of your question answered... I will answer the second question. Sacred tradition is something that has been passed on over the years. For example, blessing ourselves with holy water would be sacred tradition, the Eucharist, really all of the sacraments, kneeling or standing or sitting can count, pretty much everything we do at Mass and during prayer is sacred tradition.

And I have a question for some of the Catholic converts from Baptist. I live in Georgia, so there are many Baptist people. I was wondering if there is a difference between the church services, other than the Pastor preaching for almost the whole hour, and then some prayer? Also, many of the children usually do not go into the service when the preacher is preaching, why is it only for adults?
Thanks!
Old Sep 19, '09, 5:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
Hi, I am not too familiar with Southern Baptists. Can you give some examples of what you call their tradition? Thanks.
Just scroll up the page and you'll see the basic differences between Catholics and Southern Baptists that I posted. The differences is what IS the Southern Baptists tradition.
Old Sep 19, '09, 5:29 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
"Sola scriptura" (bible alone) is a man-made tradition. The bible does not support that. This is the biggest and most obvious one.

Next is the "Altar call", where those who have decided to "accept Jesus" get up and walk to the "Altar" as sign of their acceptance of Him. Interestingly, I found a New York Baptist preacher who has recognized this for the man-made tradition that it is:

http://www.redmillsbaptist.org/altarcalls.htm

There are others, but these are the biggies in my book.
Old Sep 19, '09, 5:35 pm

Thanks po18guy and Supercatholic for the examples.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions