Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 24, '09, 7:39 pm

Religion: United Methodist
Default Re: Catholic vs Southern Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepeluali View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this will be my first question out of many to come.

I recently got my friend who is a Southern Baptist to come to my youth group. She really enjoyed it, but now it is my turn to go to her youth group. And I'd just like to know what they believe that is different from us Catholics, what do they believe that we don't and vice versa. Just so I am prepared to answer any questions they may ask me about my faith and what I believe.

P.S off-topic and I probably should make an entirely different thread for this but can someone explain Sacred Tradition to me? My priest talked about it last week but I didn't really understand it.
The SEARCH function is your friend. Discussed (and cussed) in depth here.
Old Sep 25, '09, 8:20 pm

Religion: Baptist with some Catholic beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFlynn08 View Post
I am a former Southern Baptist as well.
I think the hardest thing for me to accept about the Catholic faith was salvation. SBs belive in "once saved, always saved". Basically, once you made alter call and accepted Jesus you were going to heaven no matter what. There were many bumps along the road for me, but that was certainly the biggest.
Becky, it's interesting you say that. Being a Southern Baptist, I know how tenaciously they cling to this belief. With me, however, it has always been different. I always thought the idea of OSAS was stupid. How, I wondered, could God take a person to Heaven who has led a bad life? As I got older and began to study scripture, I learned how truly wrong the OSAS crowd really is. I also became convinced that scripture teaches baptismal regeneration. At that point, I began looking around to see how other faiths treated these doctrines.

Then one day I was reading through the Gospel of John and came across John 20:23 (if you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them). I had read this verse many times before but this time it hit me right between the eyes. Maybe the Catholics have it right after all, I thought. Since then, I have studied a lot about Catholicism and have found their faith to be more in line with scripture than any other denomination. I'm not all the way there yet but I'm getting pretty close.
Old Sep 25, '09, 8:53 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenas View Post
Becky, it's interesting you say that. Being a Southern Baptist, I know how tenaciously they cling to this belief. With me, however, it has always been different. I always thought the idea of OSAS was stupid. How, I wondered, could God take a person to Heaven who has led a bad life? As I got older and began to study scripture, I learned how truly wrong the OSAS crowd really is. I also became convinced that scripture teaches baptismal regeneration. At that point, I began looking around to see how other faiths treated these doctrines.

Then one day I was reading through the Gospel of John and came across John 20:23 (if you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them). I had read this verse many times before but this time it hit me right between the eyes. Maybe the Catholics have it right after all, I thought. Since then, I have studied a lot about Catholicism and have found their faith to be more in line with scripture than any other denomination. I'm not all the way there yet but I'm getting pretty close.
Please consider spending time before our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Call a Catholic parish and ask about adoration. Many a heart has been called home after adoring our Eucharistic Lord. May the Lord bless you on your journey. Amen.
Old Sep 26, '09, 5:01 am

Religion: Catholic

po18guy. I'm always reminded of forgive them for they no not what they do. Jesus God made humans for eternity. He's not going to let a fallen angel take what's his or disrupt his devine plan. That's just the way he is. He wants us forever.
Old Sep 26, '09, 10:47 am

Religion: Catholic

If you want to know the differences between Southern Baptists and Catholics a great book to read is David Currie's "Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic"

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Fundament...3982513&sr=8-2

The book started out as a letter he was writing to his father who is a Southern Baptist minister to help explain why he entered the Catholic Church. It is extremely well written and an easy to read book that covers many of the differences between the two faiths.
Old Sep 26, '09, 12:11 pm

Religion: Southern Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Telling the truth, Baptists have no zero sacraments. They call baptism and the "Lord's Supper" ordinances, These 2 ordinances are symbolic only and have no spiritual effect.
That's semi-true. There's no problem with the word "sacrament" in and of itself. The only reason I use the word ordinance is because of Baptist tradition.

Quote:
The entire faith of baptists consists of only one thing and that is "gettin saved" once one is "saved" he can do anything they want and still go to heaven.

OSAS came from Calvinism where it is called "the perseverance of the saints". Southern Baptists are semi Calvinistic.
This ticks me off, big time. Yes, the SBC believes in the Perseverance of the Saints. Once a person comes to faith in Christ, that person begins a process of sanctification that goes throughout the regererate person's life. You CAN NOT do whatever you want and get to heaven. JonNC's quote from Luther in his signature sums it up well: “There is no justification without sanctification, no forgiveness without renewal of life, no real faith from which the fruits of new obedience do not grow.”

This is ignorance on the level of Protestants saying "Catholics worship Mary."

Quote:
Some Baptist traditions I can think of are altar calls. Sermon centered services. Unvested clergy, unparticipative extempore prayer, and the "Lord's Supper" only four times a year as an addition to and after the usual preaching service. They take "supper" literally and usually observe it after the evening service. Most Baptists go to church 3xs a week twice on sunday and then on wednesday evening they go to "prayer meeting".
First, some Baptists vest the clergy, but not my church and not most. The choir, of which I am a member, wears robes. It is true we don't have Communion often enough, I'll give you that point. Although, if I want to recieve Communion in between when my church has it, I could attend a mid-week service at a Methodist or Episcopal church.

Quote:
Another Baptist tradition is never singing the Amens at the end of hymns even when amens are in the "song book" they are never sung.
True, but very few songs in the Baptist Hymnal have them. We do on occasion, however.

Quote:
Baptist tradition from old time Baptists is they love the piano and dislike the organ. They will have a grand piano on the gospel side and an electric organ console on the epistle side. But the organ when played is played very softly.
Not true, at least at my church. We have one of the best digital organs in the world and a highly talanted organist.

Quote:
And now days they have rock or country bands. And the choir which sits across the front of the church sings "specials" often to only a tape.
We do not sing to tracks. The Chancel Choir the organ, piano and Chancel Orchestra to accompany us.

Quote:
A Baptist church is mostly arranged in only one way. The Lord's Supper table very small is on the floor at the front. Some Baptist congregations do away with if completey only moving it in for the rare "Lords Supper" they never have a cross on it and never candles, occasionaly flowers and an open bible.
We do only have the table for when we have the Lord's Supper.

Quote:
Behind the table is and elevated pulpit for the preacher to stand behind and not in.
Behind the pulpit is the choir, and at the very back usually behind curtians and sometimes with a painting of a river flowing into it is the pool for submerrsion type baptisms.
We have an elevated platform with our pulpit, and yes, the choir is in the chancel. Our baptistry is elevated above the choir on the back wall in a visually pleasing way. I should take a picture of our chancel for you all. We also have wonderful stained glass windows in our old building that we use for weddings and funerals and for our youth group to meet in on Sundays.

Here are some pics of our old building from when it was featured in a historic church tour. It was designed in 1903:

I'll take some pics of our current building tomorrow.
Old Sep 26, '09, 12:22 pm

Religion: Convert to Roman Catholic

Quote:
Telling the truth, Baptists have no zero sacraments. They call baptism and the "Lord's Supper" ordinances, These 2 ordinances are symbolic only and have no spiritual effect.
Baptists have two sacraments whether they know it or not, "baptism and marriage", both recognized by the Catholic Church as true sacraments. That's one more than Mormons have, but six shy of the true Church.

I was batized by my southern baptist dad when I was a child, and this was recognized by the Catholic Church when I converted, as well as my marriage which was simply in a U.S. Embassy in a foreign country by a military officer.

"You have my attention. I'm all ears!"
Old Sep 26, '09, 12:33 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

PAUL3144

You stated that if you wanted communion in between when your church has it, you will go to an Episcopal or a Methodist church.
May I ask then, if you ever would want it between when your church has it, why would you go to a church that only has it a certain amount of times a year, or why you would go to a different church which has some different beliefs then you?

Also, I have talked to many Southern Baptists who say OSAS means that you can do ANYTHING on Earth, except denounce God and you will go to heaven, because Jesus died for your sins on the cross, so all the sins you commit are already forgiven once you accept Jesus as your lord and personal savior.
Could you explain this to me, in regards to what you said about sancitfication I think??

I'm just wondering what you believe because it seems as though many different churches in the same denomination even teach different things?
Old Sep 26, '09, 12:55 pm

Religion: Convert to Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristanl View Post

I'm just wondering what you believe because it seems as though many different churches in the same denomination even teach different things?
Yea, and that's why they have splintered into over 40,000 denominations as they have no Church Authority to lead them and keep them straight. When they disagree, they split and create another church or denomination.

"You have my attention. I'm all ears!"
Old Sep 26, '09, 1:09 pm

Quote:
PAUL3144
May I ask then, if you ever would want it between when your church has it, why would you go to a church that only has it a certain amount of times a year, or why you would go to a different church which has some different beliefs then you?
I go to my church because I agree with my church on matters of doctrine and I love the community, as well as the fact that my entire family has gone there since my great-grandfather joined in 1957. I rarely visit other churches for those reasons. I love learning about other Christian traditions, so I'll visit another denomination every now and then if it dosen't conflict with attending my church.

Quote:
Also, I have talked to many Southern Baptists who say OSAS means that you can do ANYTHING on Earth, except denounce God and you will go to heaven, because Jesus died for your sins on the cross, so all the sins you commit are already forgiven once you accept Jesus as your lord and personal savior.
Could you explain this to me, in regards to what you said about sancitfication I think??

In the SBC, we are Confessional Protestants united around the Baptist Faith and Message while still respecting local church autonomy. These quotes from Articles IV and V of the BF&M should clear things up:

Quote:
Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. In its broadest sense salvation includes regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification.

Sanctification is the experience, beginning in regeneration, by which the believer is set apart to God's purposes, and is enabled to progress toward moral and spiritual maturity through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in him. Growth in grace should continue throughout the regenerate person's life.

All true believers endure to the end. Those whom God has accepted in Christ, and sanctified by His Spirit, will never fall away from the state of grace, but shall persevere to the end. Believers may fall into sin through neglect and temptation, whereby they grieve the Spirit, impair their graces and comforts, and bring reproach on the cause of Christ and temporal judgments on themselves; yet they shall be kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation.
Old Sep 26, '09, 3:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3144 View Post
I go to my church because I agree with my church on matters of doctrine and I love the community, as well as the fact that my entire family has gone there since my great-grandfather joined in 1957. I rarely visit other churches for those reasons. I love learning about other Christian traditions, so I'll visit another denomination every now and then if it dosen't conflict with attending my church.

In the SBC, we are Confessional Protestants united around the Baptist Faith and Message while still respecting local church autonomy. These quotes from Articles IV and V of the BF&M should clear things up:
Thank you for your response.

But its pretty much saying God has chosen who is saved, and if you are saved and sin you will still go to heaven. But what about someone who has committed a serious sin? We call them mortal sins, what about people who murder but are "saved". Some will say they really arent saved. How do you know God is not condemning them to hell, and how do you know that is they do feel bad about their sin but never confess or ask for forgiveness, how do you know they will be saved? How do you know that God chose you to be saved, and no matter what sins your commit you will be saved?

Thank you,
Kristan
Old Sep 26, '09, 4:59 pm

Religion: CATHLOIC

Quote:
PAUL3144

You stated that if you wanted communion in between when your church has it, you will go to an Episcopal or a Methodist church.

All Southern Baptists church DID NOT ALL TEACH the same thing,some say a woman can not wear mkae up ,and other do some say you can not wear panys other do, the list just goes on and on
Old Sep 26, '09, 5:03 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
PAUL3144

That surprises me as well, since in the SBC teaching Episcopalians and Methodists don't "get saved" by saying a strictly mental "sinner's prayer". Which leads to repeated efforts at "gettin saved" and repeated dunkings, (the only legitamate form of baptism for baptists).

Adult and adolescent Baptists only are baptised after they "git saved". Getting saved is the thing that matters and forgives sins. After they say the "sinners prayer" they are "saved", and they are baptised only becuase the are following Jesus' example, it has nothing to do with salvation or forgiveness of sin.

They have an "out" on people who continue to sin after "getting saved", they will just say the persons was never "really saved" to begin with and they say the sinner's prayer over and over.

Baptists believe that only people who "get saved" are true Christians at all, which leads to heavy proseletyzing on their part. They want to turn Catholics, Episcopalians Orthodox and the rest of "unsaved" people into their version of Christians. This sheep stealing is remarkably effective though. Thier are hundreds of poorly catechised ex Catholics and others filling Baptist pews each sunday. Baptists do this by qouting snatched fron context proof texts. But they ignore the parts of the bible that do not support their getting saved constuct, like Acts 2:38 amoung others that state clearly that baptism is for for forgiveness of sin.

You will notice that in his response the other poster ommited the fact that Baptist worship and prayer is non-participatory, The congregation only sits and listens to extempore prayers said at the pulpit for the congegation. That to goes back to Calvin who taught the only participation allowed the people is to sit and listen and sing "songs".
Old Sep 26, '09, 6:57 pm

Quote:
That surprises me as well, since in the SBC teaching Episcopalians and Methodists don't "get saved" by saying a strictly mental "sinner's prayer".
Neither do Baptists.

Quote:
Adult and adolescent Baptists only are baptised after they "git saved". Getting saved is the thing that matters and forgives sins. After they say the "sinners prayer" they are "saved", and they are baptised only becuase the are following Jesus' example, it has nothing to do with salvation or forgiveness of sin.
The baptism part is true, but the rest is not. Are there any Baptist confessions that you can quote to prove your point?

Quote:
They have an "out" on people who continue to sin after "getting saved", they will just say the persons was never "really saved" to begin with and they say the sinner's prayer over and over.
We ALL continue to sin after we are justified by faith. That includes both of us. Care to back what you said up?

Quote:
believe that only people who "get saved" are true Christians at all, which leads to heavy proseletyzing on their part. They want to turn Catholics, Episcopalians Orthodox and the rest of "unsaved" people into their version of Christians.
That's a lie straight out of the pits of hell. Salvation does not come by reciting a specific verbal formula about Jesus, but by faith, which then results in works. Again, care to back up your statement out of a Baptist confession? If I want to know about the Roman Catholic faith, I don't go to Jack Chick. You're doing the same basic thing that Chick does, just in reverse.

Quote:
You will notice that in his response the other poster ommited the fact that Baptist worship and prayer is non-participatory, The congregation only sits and listens to extempore prayers said at the pulpit for the congegation. That to goes back to Calvin who taught the only participation allowed the people is to sit and listen and sing "songs".
I'm sorry I forgot to mention the non-participatory things we do like congregational Scripture readings and the responsive readings in the Baptist Hymnal.
Old Sep 26, '09, 7:44 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3144 View Post
That's a lie straight out of the pits of hell.
Before a blanket condemnation, let's ask pipper to explain the foundation for this statement. It could be an honest mistake (which all of us make), or it could be from experience with an unorthodox Baptist congregation. Let's see.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions