Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 27, '08, 9:20 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to SacredHeartFan
Default Is cussing a sin?

I ahve never heard any church teaching and I know that there is nothing in the bible.

Blessed Mother, Star of the Sea, Pray for us!

"If the Americans were as expert in spiritual
matters as they are in business affairs, all of
them would be saints!"
~Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos
www.seelos.org
Old Sep 27, '08, 1:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Is cussing a sin?

I think it is. Of course, that's mostly personal opinion. And being taught that it is. I, at one time, used a lot of foul language. It is like an insult if you use it in addressing anyone. Have you ever been called, or heard the phrase, a "son of a b****"? Better language is more respectful. Oh, and there's the one where God's name is used. And not in a nice way either.
Old Sep 27, '08, 1:22 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to SacredHeartFan

I know this sounds kind of weird but like we use it not to be mean.

Blessed Mother, Star of the Sea, Pray for us!

"If the Americans were as expert in spiritual
matters as they are in business affairs, all of
them would be saints!"
~Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos
www.seelos.org
Old Sep 27, '08, 1:40 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Ephesians 4:29:
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

1 Peter 3:10:
"For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

James 3:9-12:
"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."
Old Sep 30, '08, 8:34 pm
Forum Supporter

I have had the same question about the sinfullness. Granted swearing is rude and innappropriate and blasphemy is a clear sin. But what about using four letter words in context where they are socially accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Ephesians 4:29:
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
I understand this is being possitive in one speach. I have seen people be uplifting and possitive while still resorting to four letter words. as for unwholesome I see this related to words associated with adult activities but not necesarilly to words such as those describing the solid excrement.

Quote:
1 Peter 3:10:
"For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."
The question is then what is keeping the tongue from evil? is swearing evil? If not, then this first part would not apply. I assumed this reference was to plotting to do mis deads or gossip or the such. I view the second part as reffering to lying which is a sepparate issue with speach and a clear sin.

Quote:
James 3:9-12:
"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."
A curse is an attempt to invoke divine intervention based on our will. This would be both folly and sin. Like wise if the use of four letter words is a sin then the use of them would taint any other words used by the speaker. However if four letter words are not a sin but just a more raw unpretentious uncouth manner of speach, then reference would seem to not aply.
Old Sep 30, '08, 9:52 pm

I think a good rule in this case is to not say anything you wouldn't say in front of our Lord. Even better than that, consider that you receive His Most Holy Body and Blood on your tongue in the Eucharist. Do not let your tongue say anything that would tarnish it as the throne of Jesus.
Old Oct 1, '08, 6:48 am

Religion: Catholic.
Send a message via Yahoo to Fox

Where would cussing fall under the ten commandments? I see blaspheming or using the Lord's name in vain, but for the others, its pretty grey. Personally, a person that uses profanity really needs to come up with a better way of expressing themselves.
Old Oct 2, '08, 9:36 pm

Cussing is not a sin (unless of course it is using God's name irreverently or is cursing some person) per se, but obviously it could be sinful in certain circumstances. For example, if a child is commanded by his parents or teachers not to cuss, then cussing would be sinful for him. Another example would be if one committed contumely be means of cussing. A further example would be if one committed blasphemy through cussing. Cussing would also be sinful if it would cause scandal.
Old Oct 9, '08, 5:49 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I know this sounds kind of weird but like we use it not to be mean.
So will you consider me an unreasonable old b**** when I react with shock to hearing such words coming out of your mouth? Or will you respect me enough to not use that language in front of me?

If you do respect me enough to not use it in front of me, then why use it at all? No matter how you use it, or what your intent is, it is still meant to be offensive and insulting.

Another reason I don't like cussing is because it is so uncreative. Cuss around me and I tend to write you off as an ignorant and rude person.

There are better ways to insult people. I'll quote one from one of my favorite authors, Paul Scott: "Dessicated dropping from a dead vulture's crotch!" And a good expletive I picked up from Elizabeth Moon's books is "Snarks in a bucket!" (Or was it Anne MaCaffery?) And of course, there's "bad words!" Which I thought up before I read it in one of their collaborations.

My Mom came up with a combination of two old exclamations: "Perish forbid!" I use that one a lot, too.

I used to cuss a lot, and use the Lord's name in vain. I've succeeded in cleaning it up, without giving up being a passionate person. You can do it, too.

God bless you,

Ruthie

ETA: I tend to think it is a sin because it disregards the dignity of humans, which comes under the fifth Commandment.

"Your every act should be done with love." -1 Cor 16:14
"Love is not a wimp emotion." - Fr. John Corapi

Last edited by Ruthie; Oct 9, '08 at 6:01 pm.
Old Oct 9, '08, 6:05 pm
Banned

cussing is a sin, find a better way to express yourself.

I used to have really bad character before I became Christian and even cussed out my parents numerous times using the f-word.. I'm around military all the time so I'm still around cussing all the time but I have completely stopped (slips sometimes).. when I hear cussing I think the person is weak.. its not cool at all
Old Oct 10, '08, 7:19 pm

I believe when used towards some1 and God cursing is definitely a sin. But when used at or about something not significant unlike that of a human life, it's just an unpleasant way to express anger without punching a whole in the wall. I'll admit that when working on a project, chore, school work or whatever for a long time and I get frustrated that phrases like: why can't I get the da.. thing to work, "what the he.. is "wrong with that thing." "Ahhh sh.. not again" will be said. After a few of those and whatever I'm doing is still not working out I know it's time to go to Plan B. Prayer and just go back to it later on. However it's never a good behavior when you curse around somebody.
Old Oct 10, '08, 7:56 pm
Banned

Consider these passages from Scripture:

"He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." Proverbs 21:23

"The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools." Ecclesiastes 9:17

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

"A gentle answer turns away wrath." Proverbs 15:1

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with all strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:11

"The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." Proverbs 15:4

"Speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ." Ephesians 4:15

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11
Old Oct 11, '08, 9:07 am

I have heard it is not a sin; but if it is said by someone who is known for being a religious Catholic it may cause scandal. Especially if said in front of children.

It would probably also be a sin if you were a minor and your parents forbade you from using bad language

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on us
Old Oct 14, '08, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixitDominus View Post
Cussing is not a sin (unless of course it is using God's name irreverently or is cursing some person) per se, but obviously it could be sinful in certain circumstances. For example, if a child is commanded by his parents or teachers not to cuss, then cussing would be sinful for him. Another example would be if one committed contumely be means of cussing. A further example would be if one committed blasphemy through cussing. Cussing would also be sinful if it would cause scandal.
You are correct.
Old Mar 24, '10, 5:56 am
Observing Member

I was alone working on my car and dropped something and said "s$$t". Would that be considered a sin?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology