Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 27, '08, 7:33 pm

Default Found a description of a 1950's housewife!!

From a Home Economics class in the 1950's...

* Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.
* Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
* Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.
* During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
* Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.
* Be happy to see him.
* Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.
* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
* Don't greet him with complaints and problems.
* Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.
* Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.
* Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
* Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
* A good wife always knows her place.

Sooooooo...
What's the general concensus about this? Should women be doing this? Why or why not? Guys, I would like your opinion too
Old Sep 27, '08, 7:50 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Found a description of a 1950's housewife!!

Should women treat their husbands as though they're crazy people on the verge of a nervous breakdown? Only if they're crazy people on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and only till the nice people get there with the butterfly nets. In the real world, my DH and I treat each other with mutual respect. It's a concept a little more biblically sound than an arbitrary list posted on the internet.
Old Sep 27, '08, 8:27 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Cat View Post

* Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.
Well my mom always did that for my dad and who doesn't like a warm welcome....I get that from my cat...lol He also knows he's going to eat five minutes after I walk in the door ;-)

* Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
Who isn't weary after work...think I'd pass on the ribbon though...lol

* Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
Yeah who want a complainer just when they get home that makes sense. Save it for after the meal..

* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.
You've go to be kidding I don't even do this for myself. I'm on strike when it it comes to dusting....

* During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
Oh please after the big meal he supposedly just had the guy should be doing this for his lady

* Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.
Obviously this writer never had children

* Be happy to see him.
I agree with that 100%

Ok the smile part is ok but the second part I might have to think about

* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.Ok that's just a dumb statement.

* Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.
That's just a really dumb statement. If my husband were out all night I'm certainly going to ask him why
* Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.
* Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
This sounds more like something you would do with a child

* Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
No comment the absurdity of the whole comment speaks for itself.

Still thinking on that one....

Sorry I just had a have a little fun with it. I know in all seriousness isn't marriage about give and take, good communication and mutual respect. Somehow I don't see the slave and master relationship working.

Sooooooo...
What's the general concensus about this? Should women be doing this? Why or why not? Guys, I would like your opinion too
Old Sep 27, '08, 8:37 pm
Forum Supporter

I printed this out and stuck it on Debbie's bathroom mirror.

If y'all don't see a post by me within 24 hrs of the time stamp on this post, send someone to check on me. If you see a suicide note, don't y'all believe it.
Old Sep 27, '08, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRider View Post

If y'all don't see a post by me within 24 hrs of the time stamp on this post, send someone to check on me. If you see a suicide note, don't y'all believe it.

Oh man, I want to be a fly on the wall when Debbie finds that list.
Old Sep 27, '08, 8:52 pm

Religion: catholic

last big conversation i remember from your house Bama was about emptying the dishwasher.

do tell: how does that topic of conversation rate as more important?

Bama? ..... Bama? ...... are you there?

somebody better go check on Bama. (and get Debbie a good defense lawyer. she wasn't supposed to fluff his pillow into his mouth.)
1 John 4:19
Old Sep 27, '08, 8:57 pm

Quote:

I absolutely love your posts.
Old Sep 27, '08, 9:03 pm

Quote:

ROTFL
Don't worry BamaRider we'll call in the troops for yah
Old Sep 27, '08, 9:19 pm
Forum Supporter

No kidding, I stuck it right up on the mirror in her bathoorm. I was up watching football, and she went to bed and turned the tv on, which really means she's going to sleep.

Well the game was over so I came online to check stuff and and work on my web site, I saw this post, printed it out, slipped in the bedroom, went to her bath (I'm not allowed in there) and taped it on the mirror. LOL.

I highlighted these 2 in yellow marker for her pleasure.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

We went to the vigil Mass this evening so she'll sleep late in the morning, but she'll see it soon as she gets up. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old Sep 27, '08, 9:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian (καθολικο)

How did you get hold of my wife's list? I better email it to her...I think she forgot some of this and a kind reminder would most definitily be very chartable of me. I know she really loves it when I correct your... I always tell her to makes sure she gets a little icecream to as she serves mine... but not to take to much since she's really filling out those skirts lately...I told her to walk to the store next time to work off a few of those pounds...from eating that icecream. ... kidding of course...she'd kill me too.

added...

But her 83 year old mother would agree with most of this and told her not that long ago that to help me out "if you see something on the floor, just bend over and pick it up". Now she puts oine hand on her tail and wags it as she says the now famous quote. My wife was raised to believe her life was to make her husband happy and raise kids...from home...not work. I'm spoiled...she still cooks. But I try to clean, cook and do lots of stuff many guys call "woman's work". So I'm not that bad. I am trying to get a cleaning company to help out now that she's working out of the home again. Our life expectancy would go down if I tried to cook... I've discovered they don't like my bland cooking. I used to be a health food nut...and cooked very healthy. no spices...always steamed vegitables...fish and chicken mostly. She fired me from doing the wash all because I made a dumb mistake once... I think she just felt like she was failing as a wife....which I've always argued to help her understand that she doesn't have to be perfect or do all of that stuff for me... I love her... not the wonderful cooking she does... But I have to admit. The quickest way to a man's heart may be through his wife's cooking. But what they didn't finish saying is that it would kill you in the end.
Old Sep 27, '08, 9:29 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I highlighted these 2 in yellow marker for her pleasure.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

Quote:
she's really filling out those skirts lately...I told her to walk to the store next time to work off a few of those pounds...from eating that icecream.

you fellows don't like living so much, do you?

Bama i hope you're an early riser and a fast runner.
1 John 4:19
Old Sep 27, '08, 9:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Larowyn

You know, if I had a wife and kids and I stayed home to take care of the house and kids while my wife worked, I would totally do some of those things for my wife.

Not putting on any makeup though.
Old Sep 27, '08, 9:59 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian (καθολικο)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larowyn View Post
You know, if I had a wife and kids and I stayed home to take care of the house and kids while my wife worked, I would totally do some of those things for my wife.

Not putting on any makeup though.
You're obviously not a team player...are you?

Actually, I was Mr. Mom when our first child was born. I thing I started growing in places I didn't before. I gained about 20 to 30 pounds the first few months. Stress really puts on weight. I love my wife and really have had a difficult time encouraging her to let go of the sterio types propogated in her family. She's the youngest of 8...ironically, she's 6 years younger than me. She grew up in an ultra conservative fundamental evangelical family. It's just a miracle that we met and even married because we're so different. She's the quiet one who has a difficult time telling me when she's upset. I'm the touchy feeling one always trying to get her to express her feelings openly to me. Bazaar I guess.
Old Sep 27, '08, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Cat View Post

* Be happy to see him.
* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Sooooooo...

Ah hahahahahaahahaahaaha
Thanks for making me laugh today.
Old Sep 27, '08, 10:14 pm

LOL!! The only reason I am laughing is because DH said he would like me to do all these things... not sure how serious he was though

I got a kick out of these and I try to do some of them (although I think my opinion should count for something when he is making decisions) but all in all I wonder how many men secretly hope we are mindless droids that cater to their every whim...

BamaRider... good luck tomorrow morning when your wife sees this list....
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life