Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Do you wear the Miraculous Medal
Yes 65 80.25%
No - but I'd like to know more about it 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 3, '08, 7:59 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Do you wear the Miraculous Medal?

History:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10115a.htm

The Miraculous Conversion of Alphonse Ratisbonne (a Jews)
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/seanie/BVM/ratisbonne.html

The Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come; before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Miraculous Medal Prayer

O Mary, conceived without sin,
pray for us who have recourse to thee.
Old Oct 3, '08, 8:19 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Do you wear the Miraculous Medal?

Yes, I wear it everyday during my pregnancies. (Well, almost everyday.)

My mother (a Catholic) had a miscarriage (years ago obviously) and her mother (a Lutheran) bought the miraculous medal and gave it to her, telling her it was a "mother's medal" and that she should wear it while pregnant. It's become a tradition that the pregnant ladies in our family wear it, so it's now my turn (my mom and aunts have passed it back and forth over the years).

Obviously we know it's not a magic charm or anything, but a devotion to Mary asking her protection over our unborn children.

(When I'm not pregnant I wear it here and there throughout the year as well, but not daily.)
Old Oct 3, '08, 8:25 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Thank you, Belle10. That is a beautiful tradition in your family. You should keep wearing it daily if your necklace allows you to hold many medals at once.
Old Oct 3, '08, 11:30 am
Prayer Warrior

When DH and I were in Rome, we went to Santa Croce in Gerusalem (sp?) to see the relics of the True Cross and Nennolina's tomb. While we were in the gift shop, one of the monks there asked if he could give us a present. We said yes - but he told us not to be so quick: the present came with a promise.
We still agreed. So he took out two Miraculous Medals and said we had to wear them always - even in the shower . He said that slaves used to wear chains around their necks, and it was best to be a slave of the Virgin than a slave to sin!
We ended up buying smaller medals later, but we *never* take them off. Even if I wear other jewelry, I have my medal on me.

We go to a Catholic parish affiliated with a university, and all of us there joke that there are two types of Catholic girls - the kind who dress up and keep their medals on, and the kind who leave them at home . (No offense meant to earlier poster; we made the comments in the context of a dance we were having at the parish center).
Old Oct 3, '08, 11:56 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentecostbaby View Post
When DH and I were in Rome, we went to Santa Croce in Gerusalem (sp?) to see the relics of the True Cross and Nennolina's tomb. While we were in the gift shop, one of the monks there asked if he could give us a present. We said yes - but he told us not to be so quick: the present came with a promise.
We still agreed. So he took out two Miraculous Medals and said we had to wear them always - even in the shower . He said that slaves used to wear chains around their necks, and it was best to be a slave of the Virgin than a slave to sin!
We ended up buying smaller medals later, but we *never* take them off. Even if I wear other jewelry, I have my medal on me.

We go to a Catholic parish affiliated with a university, and all of us there joke that there are two types of Catholic girls - the kind who dress up and keep their medals on, and the kind who leave them at home . (No offense meant to earlier poster; we made the comments in the context of a dance we were having at the parish center).
What a cool story about the monk! No offense taken......I just enjoy wearing my cross and other necklaces as well and don't like it when the chains get all knotted up. Besides, I figure Mary knows where my heart is even if my medal is at home.
Old Oct 3, '08, 6:44 pm

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

I presently don't wear one, but I will as soon as I get my hands on one. I'm looking for one.
Old Oct 3, '08, 7:40 pm

Religion: Wherever Truth leads

I remember reading about the origin of that medal when I got a book called "Visions of mary" lst year. By the way all the visiomns in it are the ones approved by the Church.

The story gave me chills. I remember reading it around 1-:00 at night in October, on my couch, just a little light, the wife was asleep in the bedroom. The story melted me into a puddle of mush! It was breath taking, imaging Mary the way the story went. Imagining all that happened. wow,
Old Oct 3, '08, 8:00 pm

Religion: catholic

I want to wear one bad, but itís hard because my job requires I take off all jeweler. (Including wedding band) Otherwise id have one on.
Old Oct 3, '08, 8:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditionalist Roman Catholic

I have one and am wearing it right now, but have yet to get it blessed.
Old Oct 3, '08, 8:26 pm

I bought my medal last year while at the Vatican and was able to have it blessed there. I have not taken it off except when I get in the pool because I'm afraid the chlorine might damage the gold.
Old Oct 3, '08, 11:47 pm

Religion: Catholic! Praise be to God!

How does one clean them?
Old Oct 4, '08, 12:45 am

Yup. Along with the brown scapular and a medal of Our Lady of the Warning and the rosary and Holy Water.
Old Oct 4, '08, 5:04 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

years ago in Catholic hospitals new babies routinely had a tiny miraculous medal (usually blue) pinned to their clothes, we still have ours in the baby books
Old Oct 4, '08, 2:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan45 View Post
I want to wear one bad, but itís hard because my job requires I take off all jeweler. (Including wedding band) Otherwise id have one on.
They sell one that is a small pin that you could attach to your undercloths when you are at work (or, of course, to your lapel when not at work). I do that with the MM I wear on my Brown Scapular.

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Oct 4, '08, 11:16 pm

I used to have one of those 4 way (proper name?) medals and before coming back to Catholicism but out of the NAM I made fun of it. I've confessed my anti-Catholic days to my priest. I assured him I was an anti-Catholic for a time and listed some examples. I don't know where my old medals are.

I've been asking Blessed Virgin Mary to help me get to know her better too. I still find myself questioning, I hope this is the right way to pray... I don't remember!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality