Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: I received the Bible as being the Word of God because
God the Holy Spirit revealed this truth to me. 14 46.67%
The Roman Catholic Church taught this truth to me. 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Oct 10, '08, 10:55 am
Banned

Religion: Reformed Protestant
Question Why do you believe the Bible is the Word of God?

Do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God because

1. God the Holy Spirit revealed this truth to you personally.

2. The Roman Catholic Church taught you that the Bible is the Word of God.

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. - 1 Thessalonians 2:13
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:16 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why do you believe the Bible is the Word of God?

Everyone's answer should be the same, but I do not see the Choice on the poll.

I cannot answer it

Ralph
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:22 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphinal View Post
Everyone's answer should be the same, but I do not see the Choice on the poll.

I cannot answer it
Good point. Also, the verse Reformed added speaks to the preached (spoken) word Paul spoke to the Thessalonians, not the written word.
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:32 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Can't answer it based on those two choices.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:34 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I need one that says "The Holy Spirit, through the Catholic Church, says it is."

That verse also makes it look like we should accept it because it is from Paul. In other words, the Church gave it to you, so it is to be accepted.

Ralph
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:45 pm
Banned

Okay, what is the third choice? I would add it if I could, but I think the time limit is up. There are many Roman Catholics who have been baptized who do not have the inner conviction that the Bible is the Word of God. Externally, they may profess it. But without the Holy Spirit, they really do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God. The exact same thing can be said about Protestants too. Being baptized in water does not mean a person is converted and born from above. I heard a Catholic Priest teach this on a Catholic radio station too.
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Good point. Also, the verse Reformed added speaks to the preached (spoken) word Paul spoke to the Thessalonians, not the written word.
When Paul preaches or teaches, there are two responses and reaction. Many reject it or do not receive it as truth. Some receive it as truth. What't the difference between the two groups? Who is working in their hearts to receive this truth?

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. - 1 Thessalonians 2:13

Please please join us in our bibile study together as Christians.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...=273731&page=9
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:48 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
Okay, what is the third choice? I would add it if I could, but I think the time limit is up. There are many Roman Catholics who have been baptized who do not have the inner conviction that the Bible is the Word of God. Externally, they may profess it. But without the Holy Spirit, they really do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God. The exact same thing can be said about Protestants too. Being baptized in water does not mean a person is converted and born from above. I heard a Catholic Priest teach this on a Catholic radio station too.
We have the Holy Spirit in our souls because of baptism and confirmation. At some point, faith requires an ascent of will to make our understanding, actions, and professions the same as the faith given to us by God. The Bible in Acts shows how you need both sacrements.

The option that I would want is that the Holy Spirit, through the Catholic Church, has shown this to be true.

Ralph
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:50 pm
Banned

Quote:
We have the Holy Spirit in our souls because of baptism and confirmation. At some point, faith requires an ascent of will to make our understanding, actions, and professions the same as the faith given to us by God. The Bible in Acts shows how you need both sacrements.

The option that I would want is that the Holy Spirit, through the Catholic Church, has shown this to be true.
Sounds like Roman Catholic teaching and not Scriptural truth. Please show me a biblical case for confirmation. Baptismal regeneration needs a thread all by itself to debate. Infant baptismal regeneration contradicts your view of free will.
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:51 pm

Quote:
I need one that says "The Holy Spirit, through the Catholic Church, says it is."
I second that emotion
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:53 pm

Quote:

Sounds like Roman Catholic teaching and not Scriptural truth. Please show me a biblical case for confirmation. Baptismal regeneration needs a thread all by itself to debate.
Let me fix this for you:
Quote:
Sounds like Roman Catholic teaching and not my opinion of Scripture.
There, that reflects the truth much more.
Quote:
Please show me a biblical case for confirmation.
You mean the laying on of hands?
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:54 pm
Banned

Quote:

Us Protestant Christians cut out the middle man (Roman Catholic Church). The Holy Spirit reveals to our hearts and minds that the Bible is truly the Word of God. We don't need the Roman Catholic Church to affirm that truth. I think you will find that testimony throughout the Scirptures. Let's start with Lydia:

The Conversion of Lydia
11 So, setting sail from Troas, we made a direct voyage to Samothrace, and the following day to Neapolis, 12 and from there to Philippi, which is a leading city of the [4] district of Macedonia and a Roman colony. We remained in this city some days. 13 And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to the riverside, where we supposed there was a place of prayer, and we sat down and spoke to the women who had come together. 14 One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul. 15 And after she was baptized, and her household as well, she urged us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay.” And she prevailed upon us. - Acts 16
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:58 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Sounds like Roman Catholic teaching and not Scriptural truth. Please show me a biblical case for confirmation. Baptismal regeneration needs a thread all by itself to debate.
Thank you for asking for one. I am always happy to help.

How about Act 8:14-17
Quote:
14 Now, when the apostles, who were in Jerusalem, had heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John. 15 Who, when they were come, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Ghost. 16 For he was not as yet come upon any of them: but they were only baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid their hands upon them: and they received the Holy Ghost.
Or how about Acts 19:1-6
Quote:
1 And it came to pass, while Apollo was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper coasts, came to Ephesus and found certain disciples. 2 And he said to them: Have you received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? But they said to him: We have not so much as heard whether there be a Holy Ghost. 3 And he said: In what then were you baptized? Who said: In John's baptism. 4 Then Paul said: John baptized the people with the baptism of penance saying: That they should believe in him, who was to come after him, that is to say, in Jesus. 5 Having heard these things, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had imposed his hands on them, the Holy Ghost came upon them: and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
And for you Epistle Lovers out there, Hebrews 6:2 mentions the laying on of hands as being as basic as baptism.

Ralph
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Us Protestant Christians cut out the middle man (Roman Catholic Church). The Holy Spirit reveals to our hearts and minds that the Bible is truly the Word of God. We don't need the Roman Catholic Church to affirm that truth. I think you will find that testimony throughout the Scirptures. Let's start with Lydia:

The Conversion of Lydia
11 So, setting sail from Troas, we made a direct voyage to Samothrace, and the following day to Neapolis, 12 and from there to Philippi, which is a leading city of the [4] district of Macedonia and a Roman colony. We remained in this city some days. 13 And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to the riverside, where we supposed there was a place of prayer, and we sat down and spoke to the women who had come together. 14 One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul. 15 And after she was baptized, and her household as well, she urged us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay.” And she prevailed upon us. - Acts 16
Excellent! Lydia believed what Paul preached! Amen! We agree with that!!!!!

And your point is...

You STILL have not provided Scriptural evidence for the canon of Scripture you accept and believe.
Old Oct 10, '08, 12:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Let me fix this for you:
There, that reflects the truth much more.
You mean the laying on of hands?
Please help me understand the Catholic teaching on confirmation.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions