Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Would you recommend the Creighton Method?
Yes 4 80.00%
No 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 14, '08, 9:08 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Creighton Method NFP Post-Partum Use

Hi, my husband and I started using the Creighton Method shortly after we were married, only to find out we were already pregnant (a good suprise!). I am 3 months post-partum, and am charting once again. It seemed my cycle came back, but now it seems like it's not back (had a long cycle - over 40 days and counting!). Is this normal post-partum? Has anyone else using this method experienced this? I am nursing primarily which I've heard can effect cycles. I'm just a little nervous about me messing up my charting because of the odd cycle - anyone else experience this? Thanks so much!
Old Oct 15, '08, 7:15 am

Default Re: Creighton Method NFP Post-Partum Use

I don't use Creighton... so no help there... (I use sympto-thermal)...
But YES, crazy cycles are totally normal postpartum... especially if you're nursing...

My experience... with my first two boys (both breastfed well beyond a year) my cycles returned at 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 months postpartum... and they varied all over the place... from 60 days one month, then 20 days, then 52 days, then 28 days, etc, etc... it took a good 6-8 months before they settled out in the range of 28-36 days (which is "normal" variation for me)...

I'm 3 months postpartum now myself and haven't seen a return to fertility yet... but I do expect this same craziness to happen once again...

HTH and good luck with your charting!!!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Oct 15, '08, 5:24 pm

I've been using Creighton for the last 3 years, give or take, and have no major problems with it. The only two times I've gotten pregnant in that time frame were times when we used fertile days.

One word of warning, though, the postpartum period is the hardest time of all to learn any form of NFP because you don't really know what "normal" is for you. After I had my babies I had varying times of return of fertility (like when I got pregnant with an ALMOST exclusively nursing 7 month old) varying periods returning from 2 months to 9 months postpartum. After my last baby I had a 63 day cycle (during which I took about 4 pregnancy tests, just sure I was pregnant). It's all over the place after giving birth and you're right, breastfeeding contributes to the crazy charting. I hope you can stick with it and make it work for you.
Aaron
Becca
Baby David
Old Oct 15, '08, 6:43 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

So is there a better method than Creighton for PP FAM?
Old Oct 16, '08, 6:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasikelee View Post
So is there a better method than Creighton for PP FAM?
I don't think one method is necessarily always better than another... just whatever seems to work best for you...
Postpartum is always the most difficult time simply because you don't have a normal cycle going on... and ALL the methods tend to have a high priority of checking the mucous sign (which is one of the most critical signs), so they all have a lot in common.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Oct 16, '08, 9:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

IMO, the best way would be to use Creighton and crosscheck with temps as well. But temps aren't reliable if you are waking alot in the night to nurse, and personally, I don't have the energy to risk the loss of sleep that temping might result in. Creighton is just very specific and standardized with it's mucus.

My only complaint with Creighton is that I don't like using their stickers and charts. So I made my own chart that has the same space for mucus notation as Creighton, but also has a temp chart as well (only one month per page). And then I got on woomb.org and looked up their notation method, and use that instead of the stickers. (they have a symbol you can write which corresponds to every sticker).
Old Oct 16, '08, 10:45 pm

I can't remember what all the various methods are so bear with me. I typically use sympto-thermal charting my temp every morning. After I had DD2 I was VERY worried about getting pregnant again right away. (DS1 and DD1 were easy, my husband deployed very shortly after each of their births and returned well after my normal cycle did.) So, needless to say I wasn't sure what I was doing postpartum. I did some research to figure out another way of tracking my cycle, since I didn't figure 6-9 months of abstinence was going to work. Anyway, I think it was the Billings method but I could be wrong. I started checking my cervix every night. Since I was up every three hours I knew charting my temp wasn't going to tell me anything. It's hard to learn when you aren't sure what you're looking for but I did manage. Miraculously (and I do attribute it to a great deal of prayer) my cycle returned at 4 months and was completely normal. I was still exclusively breastfeeding then too. I think God just knew a second one had to wait. Of course we didn't wait long. By the time DD2 was 6 months old I was ready for number 4, who is due in about 3 weeks now. DD2 is 16 months.

I hope this helped a little. I do remember being incredibly nervous after DD2 was born. My husband was very patient too. Basically if I was even slightly concerned that I might be fertile we abstained until I was certain I wasn't. I will tell you, there was a one week period where I really wasn't sure if I was or not. I didn't think it was possible at three months, exclusively breastfeeding, for my cycle to come back yet but I didn't want to risk it. Two weeks later I got my period.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life