Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 19, '08, 3:13 am

Religion: Soul: Christian, Flesh: Muslim.
Default Do Angels need water & food to survive!

Is there anything in the OT or NT which indicates that?. Because in Islam it seems so, here is an authentic hadith where it states that Satan drinks and eats with his left hand:

Sahih Muslim, Book 023, Number 5008:
"Ibn 'Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: When any one of you intends to eat (meal), he should eat with his right hand. and when he (intends) to drink he should drink with his right hand, for the Satan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand."

صحيح مسلم
أن رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏لا يأكلن أحد منكم بشماله ولا يشربن بها فإن الشيطان يأكل بشماله ويشرب بها ‏

(E) (A).

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Oct 19, '08, 3:20 am
Trial Membership

Default Re: Do Angels need water & food to survive!

I think Mohammed adopted that idea from Christianity. Not saying Christianity teaches angels need food or drink (they're spiritual beings, after all), I'm just saying he probably heard the phrase "Jesus is the Bread of Heaven, the food of angels" and misinterpreted it to mean the angels need food and drink to survive.

Or maybe he got it from a pagan belief that angels need food and drink to survive? I mean, he adopted Jinn from pagan sources as well.

Who knows where his sources came from, really.
Old Oct 19, '08, 3:25 am
Trial Membership

Maybe the angels have spiritual food and drink?

Last edited by Nickkname; Oct 19, '08 at 3:38 am.
Old Oct 19, '08, 4:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickkname View Post
Maybe the angels have spiritual food and drink?
They eat normal food:

Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 0903:
"....He (the Holy Prophet) said: There came to me an inviter on behalf of the Jinn and I went along with him and recited to them the Qur'an. He (the narrator) said: He then went along with us and showed us their traces and traces of their embers. They (the Jinn) asked him (the Holy Prophet) about their provision and he said: Every bone on which the name of Allah is recited is your provision. The time it will fall in your hand it would be covered with flesh, and the dung of (the camels) is fodder for your animals. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Don't perform istinja with these (things) for these are the food of your brothers (Jinn)."

صحيح مسلم

كان ‏ ‏ابن مسعود ‏ ‏شهد مع رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏ليلة الجن قال فقال ‏ ‏علقمة ‏ ‏أنا سألت ‏ ‏ابن مسعود ‏ ‏فقلت هل شهد أحد منكم مع رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏ليلة الجن قال لا ولكنا كنا مع رسول الله ذات ليلة ففقدناه فالتمسناه في الأودية ‏ ‏والشعاب ‏ ‏فقلنا ‏ ‏استطير ‏ ‏أو ‏ ‏اغتيل ‏ ‏قال فبتنا بشر ليلة بات بها قوم فلما أصبحنا إذا هو ‏ ‏جاء من قبل ‏ ‏حراء ‏ ‏قال فقلنا يا رسول الله فقدناك فطلبناك فلم نجدك فبتنا بشر ليلة بات بها قوم فقال ‏ ‏أتاني داعي الجن فذهبت معه فقرأت عليهم القرآن قال فانطلق بنا فأرانا آثارهم وآثار نيرانهم وسألوه الزاد فقال لكم كل عظم ذكر اسم الله عليه يقع في أيديكم أوفر ما يكون لحما وكل بعرة علف لدوابكم فقال رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏فلا تستنجوا بهما فإنهما طعام إخوانكم ‏

(E) (A)

Old Oct 19, '08, 4:06 am

Religion: Adventist

Actually, there are several instances in the OT wherein Angels, or those preceived to have been Angels did part take of earthly food, the most indelible is the instance in which Abraham intreated two angels to come in a sup with and it was the same two angels that informed him that Sarah would bare Isaac and also told him of the impending judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah. Do angels "need" to eat. I doubt it. Can they eat for enjoyment. Why not, after all, didn't God create everything to be enjoyed?

In Christ.

Last edited by Sabbath Keeper; Oct 19, '08 at 4:19 am.
Old Oct 19, '08, 4:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbath Keeper View Post
the most indelible is the instance in which Abraham intreated two angels to come in a sup with and it was the same two angels that informed him that Sarah would bare Isaac and also told him of the impending judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah.
Yes, that is okay once or twice to comply with our earthy traditions, but it shouldn't be for their survival.

Old Oct 19, '08, 4:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_777 View Post
Yes, that is okay once or twice to comply with our earthy traditions, but it shouldn't be for their survival.
Nope, nor did I say it was. Guess you missed the part where I said "Can they eat for enjoyment. Why not, after all, didn't God create everything to be enjoyed?"

In Christ
Old Oct 19, '08, 4:37 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbath Keeper View Post
Actually, there are several instances in the OT wherein Angels, or those preceived to have been Angels did part take of earthly food, the most indelible is the instance in which Abraham intreated two angels to come in a sup with and it was the same two angels that informed him that Sarah would bare Isaac and also told him of the impending judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah. Do angels "need" to eat. I doubt it. Can they eat for enjoyment. Why not, after all, didn't God create everything to be enjoyed?

In Christ.
The archangel Raphael actually explains the whole "angels are eating earthly food" when he tells Tobit and his son, "Even though you watched me eat and drink. I did not really do so; what you were seeing was a vision." (Tobit 12:19). So angels aren't actually consuming food or drink before Abraham, Tobit, etc., it's just visions.
Old Oct 19, '08, 4:45 am

Quote:
The archangel Raphael actually explains the whole "angels are eating earthly food" when he tells Tobit and his son, "Even though you watched me eat and drink. I did not really do so; what you were seeing was a vision." (Tobit 12:19). So angels aren't actually consuming food or drink before Abraham, Tobit, etc., it's just visions.
wow, that is a new information for me, than you "Nickkname".

Old Oct 19, '08, 4:53 am
Trial Membership

Welcome

What's interesting about that passage on visions is that, if the Apostles thought Jesus was a ghost and He started eating, they could have remembered the passage and said they were seeing a vision. Of course, they also touched His wounds, and angels do not have flesh and blood, so they would know Jesus was truly risen and not just a ghost.
Old Oct 19, '08, 6:10 am

Quote:
Now I've gotta go home and look this up my New Advent disc to figure this out. Thanks.

In Christ
Old Oct 19, '08, 6:26 am
Banned

Religion: Islam

Islam teaches that Satan is a jinn, NOT a fallen angel.
Old Oct 19, '08, 6:30 am
Trial Membership

Are jinn allowed to eat and drink?

Thanks for the correction, btw.

What's the Koran verse on Satan?
Old Oct 19, '08, 8:50 am
Banned

Religion: Islam

Quote:
Are jinn allowed to eat and drink?

Thanks for the correction, btw.

What's the Koran verse on Satan?
This is a very brief explanation on what Islam teaches about the jinn and what we humans should know is what has been revealed to us through the Qur’an and the sunnah, which may be summed up in the following six points:

1. Jinns are created from fire (different from Angels who are created from light) and are normally invisible to humans. The fact that their origin was from elemental fire does not mean that they exist as fire, any more than humans being created from earth exist as clumps of earth.

2. Jinns have free will like humans (different from Angels who have no free will), as such some are disbelievers while others are believers (i.e. Muslims). Consequently, Satan (Iblees) was a jinn and not an angel.

3. Prophet Sulaiman (Solomon), peace be upon him, was given control over the jinn as his miracle. Thus, no human can claim control over the jinn for good or evil.

4. Jinns may interfere in our world through the agency of fortunetellers, magicians, mediums, spirit-possessions, etc. Consequently, supernatural events and experiences (visions) can be explained by their interference.

5. Seeking help from them is forbidden as it leads to shirk (associating partners with Allah).

6. Protection from them should be done according to sunnah, using Qur’anic recitations and not any forms of charms or amulets.
Old Oct 19, '08, 5:27 pm

Religion: non

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamba2han View Post
This is a very brief explanation on what Islam teaches about the jinn and what we humans should know is what has been revealed to us through the Qur’an and the sunnah, which may be summed up in the following six points:

1. Jinns are created from fire (different from Angels who are created from light) and are normally invisible to humans. The fact that their origin was from elemental fire does not mean that they exist as fire, any more than humans being created from earth exist as clumps of earth.

2. Jinns have free will like humans (different from Angels who have no free will), as such some are disbelievers while others are believers (i.e. Muslims). Consequently, Satan (Iblees) was a jinn and not an angel.

3. Prophet Sulaiman (Solomon), peace be upon him, was given control over the jinn as his miracle. Thus, no human can claim control over the jinn for good or evil.

4. Jinns may interfere in our world through the agency of fortunetellers, magicians, mediums, spirit-possessions, etc. Consequently, supernatural events and experiences (visions) can be explained by their interference.

5. Seeking help from them is forbidden as it leads to shirk (associating partners with Allah).

6. Protection from them should be done according to sunnah, using Qur’anic recitations and not any forms of charms or amulets.

HAMBA or SAM 777 SORRY IF ITS POSTED IN THE WRONG THREAD....

A QUESTION? Hell in islam is it a hot place or a cold place...
i myself allway's thought of hell as a cold place and dark ,,meaning people their in hell are selfish and selfishness cover's a lot of different sins,,uncaring as they were in life,,,,they die in that state unrepented....and thats their existence for eternity......
Also it very hard for me to accept that God would allow some one to be tortured non stop for eternity,, no matter how bad the sin is.....:

Last edited by rad; Oct 19, '08 at 5:39 pm.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions