Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 20, '08, 2:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Is All Souls Day a Holy Day of Obligation this year?

Hello-

I'm a frequent traveler, trying to figure out my mass times for All Soul's Day. I saw in one place online that the obligation to attend an anticipated or day of Mass for All Soul's Day had been "abrogated" this year since All Soul's Day is on a Saturday. Is this true?
Old Oct 20, '08, 2:05 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: Is All Souls Day a Holy Day of Obligation this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Hello-

I'm a frequent traveler, trying to figure out my mass times for All Soul's Day. I saw in one place online that the obligation to attend an anticipated or day of Mass for All Soul's Day had been "abrogated" this year since All Soul's Day is on a Saturday. Is this true?
What does your Archdiocesan website say? Your archbishop is usually pretty good about such things. Now, it's a toss up in my diocese. Our cathedral bulletin says that it is a holy day of obligation, but, in my parish bulletin, it says that it is not. Now, the Sunday Mass is for All Souls Day.
Old Oct 20, '08, 2:10 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedictgal View Post
What does your Archdiocesan website say? Your archbishop is usually pretty good about such things. Now, it's a toss up in my diocese. Our cathedral bulletin says that it is a holy day of obligation, but, in my parish bulletin, it says that it is not. Now, the Sunday Mass is for All Souls Day.
You are confusing All Saints with All Souls. All Souls Day was never a Holy Day of obligation. This year it falls on a Sunday and takes precedence over the celebration of the regular Sunday. Now All Saints Day is usually a Holy Day of Obligation but the obligation is abrogated this year because it falls on a Saturday. The evening Masses on Saturday are anticipated Masses for All Souls.
Old Oct 20, '08, 2:13 pm

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Hello-

November 1st is a Saturday this year. All Souls is the 2nd. There was an earlier thread Question - All Saints Not A Holy Day of Obligation this Year on this same issue.
Old Oct 20, '08, 2:28 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

I checked your Archdiocesan calendar and it noted that whenever November 1st falls on a Saturday, the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated (removed). This was decreed by the USCCB. As others have indicated, All Souls Day was never a Holy Day of Obligation, but, it is a pious act to attend Mass on that day. Now, since it falls on a Sunday, we are obligated to attend Mass because we must fulfill our Sunday duty. A priest, whether or not All Souls Day falls on a Sunday, should celebrate three distinct Masses on November 2nd in suffrage for the Holy Souls. In fact, there are three seperate Masses listed in the Roman Missal. I wonder how this will play out on that particular Sunday.
Old Oct 20, '08, 2:34 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)

All Souls' day is never a Holy Day of Obligation. I believe it is celebrated on November 3 this year, because November 2 is a Sunday.

You might be thinking of All Saints' Day, which is November 1. Since it falls on a Saturday, it is observed, but it is not a Holy Day of Obligation. If you can find a church that offers Mass on Saturday (not the vigil for Sunday) I highly recommend you go it.

Question: If a Holy Day of Obligation falls on a MONDAY, is it still a Holy Day of Obligation?
Old Oct 20, '08, 2:38 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
All Souls' day is never a Holy Day of Obligation. I believe it is celebrated on November 3 this year, because November 2 is a Sunday.

You might be thinking of All Saints' Day, which is November 1. Since it falls on a Saturday, it is observed, but it is not a Holy Day of Obligation. If you can find a church that offers Mass on Saturday (not the vigil for Sunday) I highly recommend you go it.

Question: If a Holy Day of Obligation falls on a MONDAY, is it still a Holy Day of Obligation?

Actually, this year, All Souls Day will be celebrated on a Sunday. Check the Ordo. That is how it is listed. Next year, it will be celebrated on a Monday and All Saints Day will move to Sunday since November 1st will fall on a Sunday. According to the website for the Archdiocese of Denver's website, if the Holy Day falls on a Monday, the obligation is also abrogated, per the USCCB. So, we are absolved from obligatoin if the day falls on either a Saturday or a Monday, unless, of course, the feast happens to be the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, since that is our Patronal Feast Day.
Old Oct 20, '08, 3:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:

Actually, this year, All Souls Day will be celebrated on a Sunday. Check the Ordo. That is how it is listed. Next year, it will be celebrated on a Monday and All Saints Day will move to Sunday since November 1st will fall on a Sunday. According to the website for the Archdiocese of Denver's website, if the Holy Day falls on a Monday, the obligation is also abrogated, per the USCCB. So, we are absolved from obligatoin if the day falls on either a Saturday or a Monday, unless, of course, the feast happens to be the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, since that is our Patronal Feast Day.
Depends on what Calendar you use. If you use a pre-1969 calendar, All Souls is transferred to November 3.

I'm not sure on this, but with the modern calendar, the Mass on November 2 is that of All Souls, but the Office is that of Sunday.
Old Oct 20, '08, 3:54 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Arrow Re: Is All Souls Day a Holy Day of Obligation this year?

Quote:
In the continental United States, see the answer to this question: What are the Holy Days of Obligation in the United States?

In Hawaii the only non-Sunday obligations are when the Solemnities of the Immaculate Conception or the Nativity of Our Lord fall outside of Sunday.

tee
Old Oct 20, '08, 5:13 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
I'm not sure on this, but with the modern calendar, the Mass on November 2 is that of All Souls, but the Office is that of Sunday.
Yes, unless Lauds/Vespers in celebrated with the people 0 then the Office of the Dead can be used
Old Oct 20, '08, 7:37 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

Quote:
I checked your Archdiocesan calendar and it noted that whenever November 1st falls on a Saturday, the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated (removed). This was decreed by the USCCB. As others have indicated, All Souls Day was never a Holy Day of Obligation, but, it is a pious act to attend Mass on that day. Now, since it falls on a Sunday, we are obligated to attend Mass because we must fulfill our Sunday duty. A priest, whether or not All Souls Day falls on a Sunday, should celebrate three distinct Masses on November 2nd in suffrage for the Holy Souls. In fact, there are three seperate Masses listed in the Roman Missal. I wonder how this will play out on that particular Sunday.
benedictgal,

I should know better than to question you on this, but I didn't think the obligation for a priest to celebrate three Masses on the post-Vatican II All Souls Day observance was still "on the books". I know this was indeed the case for the TLM. Now what is the likelihood that a priest in any US diocese will offer three Masses come November 2nd, whether Sunday or weekday?

I noticed that on EWTN, their daily Mass, as well as that from that National Shrine, is said with purple vestments that day. But most parishes will use white vestments. I wish the Vatican would remove this allowance (for white vestments, that is!).

Yes, while we can focus on our own resurrection of the body on Nov 2, we should also be mindful of our own particular judgement we will face on the day we leave this world. IMHO, the NO liturgy de-emphasizes this.
Old Oct 20, '08, 7:44 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
benedictgal,

I should know better than to question you on this, but I didn't think the obligation for a priest to celebrate three Masses on the post-Vatican II All Souls Day observance was still "on the books". I know this was indeed the case for the TLM. Now what is the likelihood that a priest in any US diocese will offer three Masses come November 2nd, whether Sunday or weekday?

I noticed that on EWTN, their daily Mass, as well as that from that National Shrine, is said with purple vestments that day. But most parishes will use white vestments. I wish the Vatican would remove this allowance (for white vestments, that is!).

Yes, while we can focus on our own resurrection of the body on Nov 2, we should also be mindful of our own particular judgement we will face on the day we leave this world. IMHO, the NO liturgy de-emphasizes this.
Maybe I'll run around town on the 2nd trying to find a priest with Black Vestments. Do they make those in the Gothic Chasuble style?
Old Oct 20, '08, 7:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
benedictgal,

I believe that it is not an obligation, but a privilege granted to the priest to celebrate three Masses on All Souls' Day. (aside my usual replacement of "obligation" with "privilege" )

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Oct 20, '08, 8:14 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

Quote:
Maybe I'll run around town on the 2nd trying to find a priest with Black Vestments. Do they make those in the Gothic Chasuble style?
As an altar boy in the late 50s, early 60s, black, "fiddleback" chasubles were worn at the daily Requiem Masses and frequent funeral Masses at which I served.

Wearing white vestments at Requiem, funeral, All Souls Day Masses is NOT a smart idea, particularly since purple is the better option. Oh, wait - the use of Latin is also still permitted in the Mass and look how much we get of that, Summorum Pontificum notwithstanding.
Old Oct 20, '08, 11:46 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
As an altar boy in the late 50s, early 60s, black, "fiddleback" chasubles were worn at the daily Requiem Masses and frequent funeral Masses at which I served.

Wearing white vestments at Requiem, funeral, All Souls Day Masses is NOT a smart idea, particularly since purple is the better option. Oh, wait - the use of Latin is also still permitted in the Mass and look how much we get of that, Summorum Pontificum notwithstanding.
Ya, I've seen the fiddleback ones, but none of the modern Chasubles in black.

I think in the Roman Rite, the prescribed colors for All Souls' Day is either Black or Violet, the celebrant's choice.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments