Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 21, '08, 4:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Jack Van Impe?

I don't know if this topic has come up before but my sister likes this man and his message. I watched him last night and it does appear that he has memorized the bible and references it often in his talks. Most of his message appears to center around the second coming of Christ as told in Revelations. He makes many comparisons to recent events and believes this generation will in fact see Jesus return.

I was just wondering what, if anything, you folks think of him.
Old Oct 21, '08, 5:09 pm

Religion: Catholic, former Protestant
Default Re: Jack Van Impe?

I have watched him in the past. I believe him to be a false teacher as is anyone who teaches rapture theology.
Old Oct 21, '08, 5:58 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I never heard of Jack Van Impe, but ever since the destruction of the temple in 70AD, there have been people saying these are "End Times". Our Lord told us to be ready because we know not the day nor the hour of His coming. We need to live in the present not the future.
Old Oct 21, '08, 6:00 pm
Book Club Member

I consider him a joke at the very least and a false teacher at best.
Old Oct 21, '08, 6:10 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

He really isn't someone your sister should take seriously--he knows his Bible--but his Bible is not Catholic. The nicest thing I can say about him is that he is not anti-Catholic. It seems he greatly admired Pope John Paul II.
Old Oct 21, '08, 6:11 pm

fear......... I understand what you said and believe it to be true. We do not know the time... but only the Father. Jack doesn't state any particular time, per-se, in his talks, just that current events seem to point that we are in fact in the "end times".
It was interesting to watch and listen to his comparisons but I also fear what the Lord said about listening to "false individuals". For instance, althought I did not watch him Billy Graham he seemed to be genuine in his sermons..... what say you folks? And how does one know?
I have neglected the Lord for way to long and only these past 6 months or so have I begun to seriously reestablish my relationship with Him and the significance of His sacrifice on the cross and the gift He gave to us in so doing.
I appreciate your comments and hope to read more....
Old Oct 21, '08, 10:47 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udoc89 View Post
He really isn't someone your sister should take seriously--he knows his Bible--but his Bible is not Catholic. The nicest thing I can say about him is that he is not anti-Catholic. It seems he greatly admired Pope John Paul II.

I agree. I don't care for him because he teaches the false doctrine of the rapture but at least he's not anti-Catholic.
Old Oct 23, '08, 9:32 am
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to JDHallKY

IMO, the problem with Jack Van Impe is that he misrepresents those who disagree with him. He will defend the Rapture by misrepresenting those who disagree by very subtly implying that they don't believe in a Second Coming at all. For example, he will quote a scripture about people denying the Second Coming, then say that those denying the Rapture are fulfilling that prophecy.

Once, I watched an episode of his program where the topic was Carl Olson's Will Catholics Be Left Behind? He showed passages from the Catechism and Pope JP2 talking about the Second Coming and therefore concluded that Olson was not representative of authentic Catholic teaching. The pope actually agreed with Van Impe, not those bad Rapture-deniers who don't believe in a Second Coming.

Plus, and this is not as serious but is a pet peeve of mine, he brags all the time about the fact that he reads. He reads the Bible, and other books too! Wow! Like on the episode about Olson, he made it very clear several times that he had read the Catechism from cover to cover; I guess he thought that demonstrated he was an expert on Catholic teaching.

The Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth - I Timothy 3:15
Old Oct 24, '08, 11:33 pm

There are similarities between Jack Van Impe and Harold Camping
of Family Radio. Two misled people who have knowledge of the
Bible and very persuasive responses to Bible questions of their
listening audiences.
One believes Christ will return very soon and the other on a
specific date in 2012.
Old Oct 30, '08, 9:49 am

I have known about Van Impe for 30 years. He has had to change his teaching about the "End Times" many times over the years because the world continues to change. He tries so hard to tie events of the day to the Bible because he hopes Jesus will come in his life time. His entire ministry is based on it so it would be a great let down if he was wrong in any way.
Old Oct 30, '08, 9:58 am

I don't watch his program, mainly because I'm leary of anything on TV these days...lol!

In all reality I love how someone else said that the focus should be on the present and not the future.

I have so much to consider on a daily basis...am I going to allow God a greater role in my life today...or be lazy and fall into a trap of just "living". Am I going to follow the churches teachings and the scriptures today with my heart or fall into the trap of just "living" in the culture with no mind to what I profess to believe.

Honestly, I need so much grace and mercy on a daily basis to just continue in on the faith that I have no time to actually focus on what happens if I make it to the end of this life and instead of dying a physical death experience the Second Coming....for me...I'm just attempting to allow God to work in my life daily and make it to the end of my life doing all he commanded and sharing that Gospel with others.

But that's my personal philosophy....others I feel have a passion for doing what they feel is being a Watchman on the wall...meaning their wish is to open the eyes of Christians to be aware of the events around them...for that case alone...I don't fault Van Impe...do I agree with his take on things...no..but do I find some value in alerting Christians to take each day seriously as it might be the last...well for that I give him credit.

Otherwise this obsession and focus on end times is out of focus with the focus I feel Jesus gave to us, reach the lost, baptise, and sacraments.
Old Oct 30, '08, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardPaul View Post
I have known about Van Impe for 30 years. He has had to change his teaching about the "End Times" many times over the years because the world continues to change. He tries so hard to tie events of the day to the Bible because he hopes Jesus will come in his life time. His entire ministry is based on it so it would be a great let down if he was wrong in any way.
GerardPaul.......... must admit I haven't thought of it in the way your mentioned. I have only watched his program 21/2 times, and then because my sister suggested it but you have made an interesting point.

All of you have made interesting points and/or comments. For a few moments there I was beginning to think that you guys didn't believe in the "Rapture". Maybe you don't... guess that's OK too. Personally I do, Lord knows we do need Him to come and square this place away - way to much wickedness going on.
Old Nov 5, '08, 9:36 pm

On Judgment Day at the end of the world, Christ will come in
glory to achieve the definitive triumph of good over evil which,
like the wheat and the tares, have grown up together in the course
of history. # 681 of the Catechism.

So Catholics do not believe in a secret rapture.
As we say every Sunday at Mass --He will come again in
GLORY to judge the living and the dead.
When Christ comes again everyone will know it--no secret event here!
Old Nov 5, '08, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
GerardPaul.......... must admit I haven't thought of it in the way your mentioned. I have only watched his program 21/2 times, and then because my sister suggested it but you have made an interesting point.

All of you have made interesting points and/or comments. For a few moments there I was beginning to think that you guys didn't believe in the "Rapture". Maybe you don't... guess that's OK too. Personally I do, Lord knows we do need Him to come and square this place away - way to much wickedness going on.
The reason Catholics don't believe in the 'Rapture" is because it was dreamed up by a man named John Nelson Darby in the 1800's. Darby came up with this idea by taking different pieces of the Bible together to come up with this. For 1800 years prior to Darby (including all the Church Fathers) there is never a mention of a rapture. It is a nineteenth century invention (along with Mormonism and Jehoveh's Witnesses). If there was a rapture then that would be a second coming, and his second coming (at the day of judgement) would be his third coming and that is not biblical.
Old Nov 5, '08, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I don't know if this topic has come up before but my sister likes this man and his message. I watched him last night and it does appear that he has memorized the bible and references it often in his talks. Most of his message appears to center around the second coming of Christ as told in Revelations. He makes many comparisons to recent events and believes this generation will in fact see Jesus return.

I was just wondering what, if anything, you folks think of him.
It goes to show you that someone can memorize the Bible and still not know what it says. Jack Van Impe needs to review Matthew 24: 35-36; "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son of Man." and I guess Jack Van Impe. It seems to me to be a little vain to think that we can figure out the day and time of the 'end times' when Jesus said that even He didn't know.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics