Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 11, '04, 11:04 pm
ShyBoy ShyBoy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2004
Posts: 17
Default Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Is the act of Masterbation a Grave sin? Or if you did with full consent and knowledge, would it be a mortal sin that would have to be absolved in confession? Or would it be considered a vienial sin (lacking grave matter) that could be absolved during the general pentitential rite of Mass?

Thanks,

ShyBoy
  #2  
Old Jun 11, '04, 11:21 pm
Crusader Crusader is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 1,039
Religion: Catholic of course...
Arrow Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyBoy
Is the act of Masterbation a Grave sin? Or if you did with full consent and knowledge, would it be a mortal sin that would have to be absolved in confession? Or would it be considered a vienial sin (lacking grave matter) that could be absolved during the general pentitential rite of Mass?

Thanks,

ShyBoy
Read what the Catechsim of the Catholic Church has to say about masturbation:


CCC 2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved." To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability."
  #3  
Old Jun 11, '04, 11:37 pm
iguana27 iguana27 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Posts: 286
Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Regardless of the state of one's sin (mortal, venial), confession to a good confessor may help alleviate some of the guilt and suffering that one who engages in this kind of activity might feel. Hearing the words of absolution and the grace that one recieves in the confessional might help give the penitent the strength to 'go and sin no more.'

Confession should not be about "have to." It's about "getting to." Sinners have wonderful recourse to this sacrament, and should feel blessed that God has chosen this ministry so that we can hear the words with our ears that Christ says to our souls.

I love reconciliation. It is a beautiful opportunity to reconcile myself to the body of Christ and to grow spiritually and recieve great graces.
  #4  
Old Jun 12, '04, 5:24 am
rubbersoul rubbersoul is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2004
Posts: 33
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to rubbersoul Send a message via Yahoo to rubbersoul
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

I actually was hoping to find a thread relating to this subject. I've got a friend who is trying to stop this terrible habit and goes to confession regularly. He is beginning to feel guilty about confessing the sin over and over again. He claims that he is trying his best to stop a behavior that he used to not even think twice about (until he read it for himself in the Catechism), but gets overtaken within days of going to confession. He is beginning to feel so guilty about continueing to sin after confessing that he is considering not going to communion until he gets complete control over it, whether confessed or not. I can tell that he is struggling with this and seems to be embarrassed and ashamed.

I told him that it sounds like a habitual or possibly stress related problem. He claims, no, there are lustful thoughts going through his head when he is doing it, but he can't make them go away.

What can I do for my struggling friend? He seems to be getting depressed.
  #5  
Old Jun 12, '04, 5:34 am
Cary Melvin Cary Melvin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 17, 2004
Posts: 7
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Read what the Catechsim of the Catholic Church has to say about masturbation:


CCC 2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved." To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability."
Ok. So it is a "gravely disordered action". Whatever that means. So the next question is, are "disordered actions" sinfull?

I get the feeling they are trying to skirt this issue.
  #6  
Old Jun 12, '04, 5:41 am
Journeyman Journeyman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 24, 2004
Posts: 221
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

I once heard Steve Wood, www.dads.org, discuss pornography and men and how the thoughts of the images can be difficult to shun. He recommended reading and memorizing Scripture. That way the good would overtake the evil in the mind, and in this case, the Word of God would take over the evil of your friends act. If your friend really wants to free himself, he should read scripture, and meditate on it as the Word of God. By this, he will come to know God much better and turning from evil will be easier. Will take time, but I believe it works. He has to have faith.

If your friend, for instance, memorizes John 3:14. Whenever he has the urge to masturbate, recite that verse in his mind and think about what it means. The Word of God will win over evil.
__________________
Journeyman
On that journey of Faith!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #7  
Old Jun 12, '04, 6:02 am
montanaman montanaman is offline
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 1,480
Religion: Catholic, of course.
Send a message via MSN to montanaman
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
I actually was hoping to find a thread relating to this subject. I've got a friend who is trying to stop this terrible habit and goes to confession regularly.
Wow. You must be pretty good friends if that's a regular topic of conversation. 'Course, I guess my friends sometimes obliquely mention it to me, too, though not in a repentant way...

It reminds me of my roommate at Franciscan U. As I was unpacking in the dorm, literally minutes after I'd arrived, he "confessed" to me that he had that same problem. I won't describe the details, (which he provided), or the horror of the thought of such an...odd...looking guy doing such a thing, but I'll just say it set a deeply wierd precedent for the year.
  #8  
Old Jun 12, '04, 8:13 am
rfk rfk is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 21, 2004
Posts: 545
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Melvin
Ok. So it is a "gravely disordered action". Whatever that means. So the next question is, are "disordered actions" sinfull?

I get the feeling they are trying to skirt this issue.
No, they are not trying to skirt any issues. They simply assume that people understand the terms.

A "gravely disordered action" is always a grave sin.

You probably recall their are 3 conditions for a mortal sin.
  1. A sin that is grave (meaning very serious).
  2. Full knowledge that it is a grave sin.
  3. Deliberate consent of the will.

You can read the Catechism on this subject at: http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1854
__________________
Vivat Jesus!
Bob
  #9  
Old Jun 12, '04, 8:34 am
Crusader Crusader is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 1,039
Religion: Catholic of course...
Arrow Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Melvin
Ok. So it is a "gravely disordered action". Whatever that means. So the next question is, are "disordered actions" sinfull?

I get the feeling they are trying to skirt this issue.
Masturbation is a mortal sin.

That said, there are mitigating circumstances as described in the CCC.
  #10  
Old Jun 12, '04, 9:16 am
Cary Melvin Cary Melvin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 17, 2004
Posts: 7
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfk
A "gravely disordered action" is always a grave sin.
It is? Always?

I would consider the sudden urge to stand out in the middle of a interstate highway jumping up and down and screaming your head off a "gravely disordered action". But is it a grave sin, or a sin at all? If it is always a grave sin, then why don't they just say that?

I believe that masterbation is a sin, but I don't think that it would always be a grave matter. It would depend on the situation. Wouldn't it?
  #11  
Old Jun 12, '04, 3:46 pm
ProLifeAction ProLifeAction is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2004
Posts: 329
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

I know masterbation is a sin because I have seen it in the bible before. The best thing to do is check the Catechism and if you do not have one usually your Diocese has an internet version on its websites.

In general this should be easy to remember -- Anytime the seed is extracted without the intent of being open to the "possibility of new life" or outside the context of marriage, the act is a sin.
  #12  
Old Jun 12, '04, 4:10 pm
rubbersoul rubbersoul is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2004
Posts: 33
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to rubbersoul Send a message via Yahoo to rubbersoul
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
In general this should be easy to remember -- Anytime the seed is extracted without the intent of being open to the "possibility of new life" or outside the context of marriage, the act is a sin.
What about nocturnal emissions? Seriously. Should one confess these?

Last edited by Administrator; Jun 12, '04 at 10:15 pm. Reason: Formatting problems
  #13  
Old Jun 12, '04, 8:24 pm
NancyA NancyA is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2004
Posts: 46
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul
What about nocturnal emissions? Seriously. Should one confess these?
no


It is sinful, but the mitigating circumstances change the seriousness. There is a terrific booklet on the topic, called _Charity and Sex and the Young Man_ by Herbert J. Raterman, S.J. and can be obtained through Roman Catholic Books.

FIRST I would say that anyone who decides to fast from the Eucharist, even while in the state of grace is caving to the devil. He wants people to avoid the very best Medicine! Tell the friend that he is not the only one, that the priest(s) understand and that he simply needs the grace of Confession, so keep going when he falls to the temptation. But to ask the priest what constitutes mortal sin. The intention necessary: fully intending to sin... if one
is falling to temptation, even while trying not to, it can lack that full intention

Last edited by Administrator; Jun 12, '04 at 10:16 pm. Reason: formatting problems
  #14  
Old Jun 12, '04, 8:52 pm
Catholic Cadet Catholic Cadet is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 16, 2004
Posts: 67
Religion: Papist :p
Send a message via AIM to Catholic Cadet
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul
[HTML]In general this should be easy to remember -- Anytime the seed is extracted without the intent of being open to the "possibility of new life" or outside the context of marriage, the act is a sin.[/HTML]

What about nocturnal emissions? Seriously. Should one confess these?
Those are not sins.
__________________
Catholic Cadet: Apologetics and Evangelization

"And God said unto the people: 'Lo, thou shalt be like rabbits.' And yea, there was much rejoicing among the people."
  #15  
Old Jun 13, '04, 4:05 am
Scott Waddell's Avatar
Scott Waddell Scott Waddell is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 2,301
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Masterbation a Grave Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Melvin
It is? Always?

I would consider the sudden urge to stand out in the middle of a interstate highway jumping up and down and screaming your head off a "gravely disordered action". But is it a grave sin, or a sin at all? If it is always a grave sin, then why don't they just say that?

I believe that masterbation is a sin, but I don't think that it would always be a grave matter. It would depend on the situation. Wouldn't it?

refer to rfk's post on the conditions for a mortal sin. Also note the word intrinsically in the CCC. That means masterbation can not be justified in any circumstance. Its sinfulness would depend on the situation as you mentioned in the form of one's culpability.

That is: certains acts are either objectively right or wrong. You can call it sin when a person comitting it has sufficient culpability. Thus, nocturnal emissions carry not even venial sin because the person has zero culpability.

Scott
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8481Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3763Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3333Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3227Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3118For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SueZee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:43 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.