Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 28, '08, 6:38 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it a sin to receive communion at an Episcopal church?

I am really confused. The Episcopal church says they have valid apostolic succession and that the real presence of christ is in the Holy communion waifer. I just read here that the Catholic church does not recognize Anglican orders and communion is not valid? I attend a Catholic Church AND an Episcople church because my husband is Episcopal and I am Catholic. My husband wants our children to attend the Episcopal church to keep our family united. I attend two masses, one at the Episcopal church and one at the Catholic Chruch. Am i committing a sin by taking both commuion wafers at both churches?

Regarding my marriage, I was married when I was not a participant in the Catholic Church. I had truned away from the Church after high school and have since returned, twenty-five years later. But in the meantime I married outside of the Catholic Church in a Protestant church. Is my marriage still valid? I am so confused. Please help!!!

Last edited by Fr. Vincent Serpa; Oct 28, '08 at 7:56 pm.
Old Oct 28, '08, 7:52 pm
Catholic Answers Apologist

Default Re: Is it a sin to take communion at an episcopal church?

Hi,

As a Catholic you may not receive communion in an Anglican church. In order to receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church, you must have your marriage blessed (convalidated) by the Catholic Church because it does not consider your marriage to be valid.

A great way to have your children end up attending no church when they become adults is to trivialize religion by demonstrating to them that it really doesnít matter what church one attends---and it DOES matter very much.

Bu for now, begin one step at a time. So long as neither of you have been married and divorced, it should not be difficult to have your marriage blessed in the Catholic Church. See your Catholic pastor. Then go to Confession and you will be able to receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. Start studying your Catholic faith and share you knowledge and enthusiasm with your family. Spend regular time (daily if possible) before the Blessed Sacrament. He will give you the strength you donít have. I will send you privately a reflection on the Lordís passion to help you during those visits as well as some suggested books and tapes. Gradually, He will bring all things to order in your family. You and your family are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist