Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 31, '08, 9:18 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Do our dear departed loved one watch over us?

I was wondering if others believe that our departed loved one watch over us. That they hear us when we talk to them?
That they send us signs to show that they are near us?

Or is believing this against the Catholic religion?
Old Oct 31, '08, 9:54 am
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Do our dear departed loved one watch over us?

It is difficult to know definitively just what it is that our loved ones know and observe if they are in heaven. Scripture makes it clear that those in heaven rejoice when even one sinner repents, and we know from scripture that the martyrs beneath the altar(described in the Book of Rev) cry out to God asking when He will avenge their blood. Obviously, they are aware of what is going on with those still on earth.

Whether or not our loved ones are allowed to give us signs is not really known to us. Such a privilege is certainly possible and has no doubt happened, but this may not be the norm. Everything is according to the wisdom, mercy, and love of God. We need to be careful about interpreting something as a sign from a loved one in heaven. I personally know of some cases where it is extremely difficult to interpret certain signs in any other way.

I do believe that those in heaven watch over us and pray for us. In Hebrews 12:1 we are told that:

"....we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,"

Paul tells us in Romans 8:38-39 that:

"For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

As the body of Christ we cannot be separated. Even when we die we remain part of the body of Christ. Those in heaven are that cloud of witnesses that are part of the body of Christ. They do care about us and watch over us in love and in prayer.

I hope this helps.
Old Oct 31, '08, 11:38 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM927 View Post
I was wondering if others believe that our departed loved one watch over us. That they hear us when we talk to them?

If those you love are in heaven,then they are Saints.IF they are in heaven I'm certain they pray for us.The signs part I'm not sure about but let's ask our Lord when we're in heaven.
Old Oct 31, '08, 11:41 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

If you have a strong reason to believe that your loved one is in Heaven, then there is no reason not to doubt that he is watching over you and interceding for you with God.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Oct 31, '08, 11:51 am
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
As the body of Christ we cannot be separated. Even when we die we remain part of the body of Christ. Those in heaven are that cloud of witnesses that are part of the body of Christ. They do care about us and watch over us in love and in prayer.
This was my conclusion too. While on earth, our brethren take care of us and pray for us in unity. Death does not divide the body of Christ, and so too, do those in heaven pray for us and can hear our prayers since they are so perfectly united with God.
Old Oct 31, '08, 12:55 pm

Quote:
I was wondering if others believe that our departed loved one watch over us. That they hear us when we talk to them? That they send us signs to show that they are near us?

Our faithful departed are among the "communion of saints" we believe in, according to our creed. They are one in Christ, and do indeed watch over us and help us.

The Church teaches
"It is permissible and profitable to venerate the Saints in Heaven, and to invoke their intercession" (Dr. Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma).

The Council of Trent taught:
"Let them teach the faithful that the saints, reigning together with Christ, pray to God for men and women; that it is good and useful to invoke them humbly and to have recourse to their prayers, to their help and assistance, in order to obtain favours from God through his Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, who alone is our Redeemer and Saviour. Those who deny that the saint enjoying eternal happiness in heaven are to be invoked, or who claim that saints do not pray for human beings or that calling upon them to pray for each of us is idolatry or is opposed to the word of God and is prejudicial to the honour of Jesus Christ, the on Mediator between God and humankind; or who say that it is foolish to make supplication orally or mentally to those who are reigning in heaven; all those entertain impious thoughts."

(Trent, Session 25, Decree on the Invocation, the veneration and the relics of saints and on sacrd images, 1563)
The Catechism affirms:
CCC 1475 In the communion of saints, "a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things." In this wonderful exchange, the holiness of one profits others, well beyond the harm that the sin of one could cause others. Thus recourse to the communion of saints lets the contrite sinner be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishments for sin.

"Lord, in my zeal for the love of truth, let me not forget the truth about love"
-- St. Thomas Aquinas

Catholicus Maximus
Old Oct 31, '08, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
If you have a strong reason to believe that your loved one is in Heaven, then there is no reason not to doubt that he is watching over you and interceding for you with God.
Right on!
Old Oct 31, '08, 5:30 pm

Talking Re: Do our dear departed loved one watch over us?

I agree on what our brethren above me had said, I'll just add something for your stronger conviction that departed brethren really watches over us.

Remember the story of the rich man and Lazarus in the gospel of Luke? When the two dies, the rich man when down in Hades and Lazarus at Abraham's bosom. When the rich man pleaded to bring Lazarus to the rich man's state to help him, this is what Abraham had answered:

"But Abraham said, `Child, remember that during
your life you received your good things, and
likewise Lazarus bad things;
but now he is
being comforted here, and you are in agony.
(Luke 16:25, underscoring is mine)

How come Abraham know that the rich man had received good things and Lazarus bad things? Is it possible that even those brethren who had departed watch over us?

Another, I think when the spirit had separated already from the body, his spirit is like what Jesus had said in the gospel of John:

"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear
the sound of it, but do not know where it comes
from and where it is going; so is everyone
who is born of the Spirit."
(John 3:8)

The spirit is not anymore bound by its former corporeal limitations. So I therefore agree that saints in heaven knows and sees us according to the manner of their spiritual abilities.

-the word of God is too rich in literature to take literally upon

See my blogs http://marynodded.wordpress.com and http://marynodded.blogspot.com
for Filipinos, see my Filipino blog http://pinoykritik.blogspot.com

Last edited by gookykookypig; Oct 31, '08 at 5:31 pm. Reason: revision
Old Oct 31, '08, 6:58 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic of the Latin Rite

Quote:

I'll just add to what others have said: Remember that once all the saints were other peoples' "dear departed loved one[s]". Therefore, if you have reason to believe they're sainted now, then pray for them to watch over you and intercede on your behalf. After all, if no one had been looking for the intercession of the Saints before their declaration by the church, then they would have never been declared for lack of evidence

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics